Proposal: Bring Back Kevin Lowe

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Lowe is 63 and is semi retirement. Also, this board and the sports talking heads all grew tired of him and Mact.

The fact some think they want him back proves how short some memories some people have

Reactions: rboomercat90

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Someone had to make this thread.

He was the last general manager we had who seemed genuinely invested in this team's direction and wellbeing unlike the donkeys that came after who were either stealing paychecks or outright trying to sabotage the team's future. He didn't always make the right moves but every year you could tell he had a plan/vision for the team, identified the players to execute that vision, then went out and did what it took to get them. Yeah he sometimes overpaid for a Souray or Penner, but other times he stole players like Pronger peanuts and just overall was better at acquiring actual good hockey players.

Notable players brought in by Lowe who made noticeable positive impact on the copper and blue at some point in time:
-C: Horcoff, Reasoner, York, Stoll, Brodziak, Nedved, Peca, Cogliano, Sykora, Gagner
-W: Carter, Hemsky, Dvorak, Torres, Stortini, Samsonov, Penner, Glencross, Eberle
-D: Brewer, Ferguson, MAB, Staios, Greene, Gilbert, Pronger, Tarnstrom, Spacek, Petry, Smid, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Grebeshkov, Pitkanen, Souray, Visnovsky
-G: Conklin, Dubnyk, Roloson, Garon

The gap between him and the 4 mongrels who came after him is bigger than the distance between the Milky Way and Andromeda.

This was the last GM you could tell actually cared about being an Oiler and wanted the team to succeed. We shouldn't have memed him for 6 Rings. I'll take 6 Rings over the likes of Tambo/Chia/Holland every day.
71y1ug.jpg
GET THE ACTUAL F OUT OF HERE WITH THIS. PERIOD.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
No. No more old boys club please. Just get someone who knows what they are doing.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I get that people are disappointed in the Oilers being a .500 team after twenty games (so am I), but... I dunno, I'm not that worried...?

They're clearly better than their record indicates. By odds, they probably should be 4 games over .500 now and in a playoff spot (or at least a secure wild-card), but everything-goes-wrong kind of games against New Jersey (the one in Edmonton that they lost in a 7-second span) and the NY Islanders ("expected" goals = Edmonton 6, Islanders 2, but the Islanders won).

Puck-luck will turn around sooner or later, and, quite honestly, I'd rather they have their annual slump now (a bit earlier than usual) than in December-January.

We knew, going into the season, that the defence would be kind of porous, so no surprises there. That's a work in progress, for sure. The only disappointment, for me, is that with Kane (and Yamamoto -- not that he was scoring anyway) out, the entire club has stopped putting pucks in the net. They should be able to score with the current roster. That will come back soon, but even this 13-goals-in-six-games stretch they're in now is rather disappointing. Really no excuse for that.

It's a long, 82-game season. So, relax. The Oilers will make the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.

You sure to want to fire Holland when, before him, the club missed the playoffs
12 times in 13 years???

You sure you want to go back to the management that gave us this line-up of "top" scorers?:
Penner
Gagne
Brule
Horcoff
O'Sullivan
Potulny
Visnovsky
Gilbert
Cogliano
R. Nilsson

I'm suggesting Oilers' fans take a deep breath and think about this carefully...

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Someone had to make this thread.

He was the last general manager we had who seemed genuinely invested in this team's direction and wellbeing unlike the donkeys that came after who were either stealing paychecks or outright trying to sabotage the team's future. He didn't always make the right moves but every year you could tell he had a plan/vision for the team, identified the players to execute that vision, then went out and did what it took to get them. Yeah he sometimes overpaid for a Souray or Penner, but other times he stole players like Pronger peanuts and just overall was better at acquiring actual good hockey players.

Notable players brought in by Lowe who made noticeable positive impact on the copper and blue at some point in time:
-C: Horcoff, Reasoner, York, Stoll, Brodziak, Nedved, Peca, Cogliano, Sykora, Gagner
-W: Carter, Hemsky, Dvorak, Torres, Stortini, Samsonov, Penner, Glencross, Eberle
-D: Brewer, Ferguson, MAB, Staios, Greene, Gilbert, Pronger, Tarnstrom, Spacek, Petry, Smid, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Grebeshkov, Pitkanen, Souray, Visnovsky
-G: Conklin, Dubnyk, Roloson, Garon

The gap between him and the 4 mongrels who came after him is bigger than the distance between the Milky Way and Andromeda.

This was the last GM you could tell actually cared about being an Oiler and wanted the team to succeed. We shouldn't have memed him for 6 Rings. I'll take 6 Rings over the likes of Tambo/Chia/Holland every day.
71y1ug.jpg
What??

The only GM that suck is Tambellini. Chiarelli was a moron. Holland is better. He has to handle all the garbage that Chiarelli drafted. And make the best of it. Year 1 was awful. MacT drafted great, but his pther decisions where not bright. Buying in to solidfy the D, Fayne and Nikitin past their primes and health was a bad misstake.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Kevin Lowe? No way. MacT/Lowe/Tambellini/Chiarelli are in the past and should never be brought back in any way shape or form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad