Bridgeport Islanders Discussion 2021-22: Playoffs Start May 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Yeah, but aside from that how does he look?
Honestly he is athletic as hell, he has the raw talent which is why he was drafted in the 3rd round, does he have the anticipation and ability to calm down in net and simplify his game is the question. Early returns show no.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
That's good news. Can you elaborate? From the little I've seen, he plays a simple pro style game and has pretty decent wheels.
I can see the Bailey comparisons. Has some great vision for passing.
But a couple of times he reminded me of Brock Nelson with his ability to trick defenders in traffic with his moves.

Honestly he is athletic as hell, he has the raw talent which is why he was drafted in the 3rd round, does he have the anticipation and ability to calm down in net and simplify his game is the question. Early returns show no.
He wasn't awful tho? Came in at 4-0 and made a heap of stops.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Wow...people are coming around on Holmstrom? Am I seeing things? All I heard since his draft was...why did we pick him? Why so early? We could have traded down....who is this kid? blah blah.

I'm telling you...he will turn into our version of Pasternak....just takes a little time

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
BTW.. Do you guys think MDC is done...not as in bad ...but as in...he'll probably never get called up again?

Also, how does Durandeau look? Any chance of getting a 9 game look?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
He wasn't awful tho? Came in at 4-0 and made a heap of stops.
It's not that he made the stops but how, he was stretching to make saves not absorbing shots into his chest and being consistent with positioning. Those are nuances I see, I like the kid and I like the pick, we have the best goalie coaches in the league, and he has made improvements, but I don't see an NHL caliber goalie as of now. He is 23 so he has a few more years and could be late bloomer but I'm not sure how long he stays in NA.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Wow...people are coming around on Holmstrom? Am I seeing things? All I heard since his draft was...why did we pick him? Why so early? We could have traded down....who is this kid? blah blah.

I'm telling you...he will turn into our version of Pasternak....just takes a little time
He's not going to be NYI's version of Pastrnak. His upside is more of a middle six forward that can skate, is solid in all three zones, and has has IQ. He's also more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, think Ondrej Palat type.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
BTW.. Do you guys think MDC is done...not as in bad ...but as in...he'll probably never get called up again?

9 game look? He's been a pro for a few years now, that rule only applies to players who can only play in NHL/Juniors.

He'll be in Bridgeport next season, but I can definitely see him being a late bloomer like Verhaghe (not comparing their styles, just NHL trajectory).

I think MDC is done with NYI unless he's fine staying in Bridgeport for the long haul. Maybe one day he works himself back into the NHL as a Colin McDonald type, but his skating and general assertiveness causes him to get lost even at the AHL level.

Reactions: MJF and The Real JT

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
9 game look? He's been a pro for a few years now, that rule only applies to players who can only play in NHL/Juniors.

He'll be in Bridgeport next season, but I can definitely see him being a late bloomer like Verhaghe (not comparing their styles, just NHL trajectory).

I think MDC is done with NYI unless he's fine staying in Bridgeport for the long haul. Maybe one day he works himself back into the NHL as a Colin McDonald type, but his skating and general assertiveness causes him to get lost even at the AHL level.
While I certainly agree with your assessment of MDC as an NHL player, I’m still puzzled regarding his dramatic drop in AHL production this year. Granted I believe he was injured to some extent but I thought he’d established his floor as a high level AHL player. Any thoughts?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Yes. MDC is quite done.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So Bellows and Holmstrom being top-end third liners is not out of the question? 30-50 points seasonally while supplying various different skill sets. Not an actual bad return for mid to low first round picks

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Carter Verhaegue has me spooked. I never want to give up on anybody anymore. ;)

IDK who the commentator was, but he was talking about how Holmstrom will be a goal scorer, not a playmaker. But it seems like that was backwards. Good to remember as we go into the upcoming draft and read/listen to "experts".

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
It's not that he made the stops but how, he was stretching to make saves not absorbing shots into his chest and being consistent with positioning. Those are nuances I see, I like the kid and I like the pick, we have the best goalie coaches in the league, and he has made improvements, but I don't see an NHL caliber goalie as of now. He is 23 so he has a few more years and could be late bloomer but I'm not sure how long he stays in NA.
Skarek played well in the regular season up until he won goaltender of the month in February . After that he had a rough 2 months and lost his starting role to Schneider.

I thought he played well last game but I think he’d want that 2OT goal back.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Skarek played well in the regular season up until he won goaltender of the month in February . After that he had a rough 2 months and lost his starting role to Schneider.

I thought he played well last game but I think he’d want that 2OT goal back.
Yeah that was hardly a snipe by the checkers player. Had a clear view. probably should have saved it. And the 6th goal, he just stood there, must have been thinking ‘no way there could be a shot if i can’t see it’

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Fellas, I don’t think it would be wise to count on Holmstrom and Raty on the big club as major contributors next season.

Also shots are 18 BRI 29 CLT, feels like the NHL Isles

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Holmstrom with an EN for a pair and four points in two games.
And then got hit in face by a stick after final buzzer. Pretty ordinary by Checkers player. Then punched him in back of head.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Lol I thought he was good, I was expecting more speed out of him but I had high expectations.

Its more that I don’t think he’s riding shotgun with Barzal or manning down the 2C in 2022-23.
How was the crowd there?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lol I thought he was good, I was expecting more speed out of him but I had high expectations.

Its more that I don’t think he’s riding shotgun with Barzal or manning down the 2C in 2022-23.
I don’t think anyone expects him to make the team out of camp, although I hope he does.

What I think Raty's trajectory should be is to push a veteran for a job in NHL camp, dominate the AHL, and give Lou a reason to trade a center off our roster for other assets within the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad