Brian Wilde Said On TSN Radio

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Yup, Bergevin will like take a lot of the credit from the success gained from Galchenyuk. Wish this season gets underway so the team can potentially get another top pick with this lineup which is pretty much the same as what Gauthier had. Lockout would put it all to waste, especially his signature Flames 2nd.

Coaching is the only thing that was hurting this team last year, that was glaringly obvious. Gauthiers biggest mistake was not firing martin sooner and replacing him with Muller or someone competent. Bergevin will not have that same anchor on his neck.

Gauthier inherited a total **** sandwich and Bergevin gets the reward from Gauthiers tough choices. It was quite clever how they did this trade off, Gauthier leaves assuming almost total blame while Bergevin gets a fresh slate with an exceptionally talented team and almost no bad contracts (gomez).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That Gauthier wanted a defenseman in the first round of the 2006 draft whereas Timmins wanted to draft Giroux.

Imagine if Gauthier wasn't fired and he was at the draft this year. Do you think we'd have had such an awesome draft?

A lot of pressure on back then to restock the defense

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
HIS standards are a bit skewed.

I think our prospects are good but how can someone possibly know this is a future cup team this early?

I messed up on the record. It's been W-L-W-L.
It doesn't matter one bit if they're 2-2 or 0-4 in their last 4 game, judging out prospects full potential by the current team's streak is quite possibly the dumbest thing in 11 years on HF that I have ever read, for so many reasons.

And man some of you really are way too self-confident in their ideas, how in the hell do you guys know if that scout that liked Fisher didn't convince Gauthier enough to the point where he himself pushed it on Timmins afterwords?? Oh but that's right, according to 1 poster, because Timmins pushed Gauthier to get Tinordi, there's no way Gauthier pushed Timmins for a player 3 years prior :laugh:

JackZap

May 7, 2009
This is the same guy who pumped the Marinaro story about Gauthier losing all decisional power and to tune into his show. He then proceeded to remove all his tweets like it never happened. Coward not to mention hes horrible

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Wilde is a gentleman and a professional with an opinion.

I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he's one of the nicest faces in Media.

I also Follow him on Twitter and have done so for over 2 years now and I agree with Habsterix, he's far from an idiot.

Only a close minded fool judges a person based on bias and a few tweets they disagreed with.

Brian is a good man, point finale.

Habsterix*

Wilde is a gentleman and a professional with an opinion.

I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he's one of the nicest faces in Media.

I also Follow him on Twitter and have done so for over 2 years now and I agree with Habsterix, he's far from an idiot.

Only a close minded fool judges a person based on bias and a few tweets they disagreed with.

Brian is a good man, point finale.
Meh... so much easier to crap on people... ;)

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
This is the same guy who pumped the Marinaro story about Gauthier losing all decisional power and to tune into his show. He then proceeded to remove all his tweets like it never happened. Coward not to mention hes horrible

Exactly! Can't believe folks are defending the cowardly blowhard liar with very limited hockey knowledge.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
So true, he is so full of it. Reminds me of that hockeybuzz guy.

Says the guy that told us the lock-out is over about 4 times since the beginning of the lock-out. :laugh:

Funny how you dare laugh at Renaud Lavoie who is always on the "field", close the the players, gm, owners etc.. while you the guy that apparently has connections with ex-hockey players come here and try to spread fake rumors that the lock-out is over to get our attention.

Renaud Lavoie and Vincent Damphousse are probably the only two guys that has some credibility and knowledge on RDS.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Coaching is the only thing that was hurting this team last year, that was glaringly obvious. Gauthiers biggest mistake was not firing martin sooner and replacing him with Muller or someone competent. Bergevin will not have that same anchor on his neck.

Gauthier inherited a total **** sandwich and Bergevin gets the reward from Gauthiers tough choices. It was quite clever how they did this trade off, Gauthier leaves assuming almost total blame while Bergevin gets a fresh slate with an exceptionally talented team and almost no bad contracts (gomez).

I'd pick this apart claim by claim but just let me protest the fact that anyone would consider the disposal of several draft picks and serviceable prospects for absolulely nothing "quite clever" and well, if you think the current roster is "exceptionally talented" only in need of coaching well, your nickname is suitable.

If and when this thing gets turned around there won't be any credit available for one of the most damaging executives in the team's history. None.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
How in God's name should Gauthier ever be thanked for his ineptness?

You guys are really drinking the Kool Aid here. He's made horrible move after horrible move that has resulted in the Habs finishing at their lowest point in years. Look at his deals:

St Louis gets: Jaroslav Halak

Montreal gets: Lars Eller, Ian Schultz

Halak is a starter and a very solid goalie. Eller is okay and improving. Probably tops out as a second line center. Schultz can't play in the AHL.

Nashville gets: Sergei Kostitsyn and future considerations

Montreal gets: Rights to Dan Ellis, Dustin Boyd and future considerations

Real close one there.

Colorado gets: Ryan O’Byrne

Montreal gets: Michael Bournival

Hard to say yet, Bournival looks like a solid prospect though.

New York Islanders get: 2nd-round pick in 2011, Conditional 5th-round pick in 2012

Montreal Canadiens get: James Wisniewski

Short term good, long term up for debate.

Anaheim gets: Maxim Lapierre

Montreal gets: Brett Festerling, 5th-round pick in 2012

Terrible trade.

Anaheim gets: fifth round pick in 2012

Montreal gets (Back): Paul Mara

Not bad.

Bunch of minor league deals they lost long term.

Montreal gets: Rene Bourque and Patrick Holland, as well as a 2nd-round draft pick in 2013 from the Calgary Flames
Calgary gets: Michael Cammalleri, goaltender Karri Ramo and a 5th-round draft pick in 2012

Lost. Badly.

Montreals gets: Tomas Kaberle

Carolina gets: Jaroslav Spacek

Another terrible trade. Trades a UFA trade for another soft defensemen that we don't need.

Montreals gets: Nashville 2nd round 2013 draft pick

Nashville gets: Andrei Kostitsyn.

Meh, that was the going price that day. Wash. Bonus as it was addition by subtraction.

Montreal gets: 2012 2nd round pick, Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney.

Nashville gets: Hal Gill

Gauthier wins this one.

If you want to thank him for consistenly losing trades I guess you can, but I fail to see how he deserves praise. He always failed to address needs than made patch work trades to fix that up. I think he has a very poor eye for talent. I'm sure I'm missing some moves as well but he didn't do much to ever deserve praise.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
How in God's name should Gauthier ever be thanked for his ineptness?

You guys are really drinking the Kool Aid here. He's made horrible move after horrible move that has resulted in the Habs finishing at their lowest point in years. Look at his deals:

St Louis gets: Jaroslav Halak

Montreal gets: Lars Eller, Ian Schultz

Halak is a starter and a very solid goalie. Eller is okay and improving. Probably tops out as a second line center. Schultz can't play in the AHL.

Nashville gets: Sergei Kostitsyn and future considerations

Montreal gets: Rights to Dan Ellis, Dustin Boyd and future considerations

Real close one there.

Colorado gets: Ryan O’Byrne

Montreal gets: Michael Bournival

Hard to say yet, Bournival looks like a solid prospect though.

New York Islanders get: 2nd-round pick in 2011, Conditional 5th-round pick in 2012

Montreal Canadiens get: James Wisniewski

Short term good, long term up for debate.

Anaheim gets: Maxim Lapierre

Montreal gets: Brett Festerling, 5th-round pick in 2012

Terrible trade.

Anaheim gets: fifth round pick in 2012

Montreal gets (Back): Paul Mara

Not bad.

Bunch of minor league deals they lost long term.

Montreal gets: Rene Bourque and Patrick Holland, as well as a 2nd-round draft pick in 2013 from the Calgary Flames
Calgary gets: Michael Cammalleri, goaltender Karri Ramo and a 5th-round draft pick in 2012

Lost. Badly.

Montreals gets: Tomas Kaberle

Carolina gets: Jaroslav Spacek

Another terrible trade. Trades a UFA trade for another soft defensemen that we don't need.

Montreals gets: Nashville 2nd round 2013 draft pick

Nashville gets: Andrei Kostitsyn.

Meh, that was the going price that day. Wash. Bonus as it was addition by subtraction.

Montreal gets: 2012 2nd round pick, Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney.

Nashville gets: Hal Gill

Gauthier wins this one.

If you want to thank him for consistenly losing trades I guess you can, but I fail to see how he deserves praise. He always failed to address needs than made patch work trades to fix that up. I think he has a very poor eye for talent. I'm sure I'm missing some moves as well but he didn't do much to ever deserve praise.

I agree with you on all except the bolded points.
Short term we lost the Cammy trade as Bourque did little to improve the team.
Long-term, Holland could be a decent player, Bourque could still bounce back.

As for Andrei, that year Paul Gaustad netted a 1st round pick. That leads me to believe Andrei wasn't shopped around enough.
Also, IMHO, Andrei was not the problem on the team. He was fine with Eller and Moen, then he was put with Gomez and went in to a slump. I would still take Andrei back on our team, if only to slot him next to Eller and Moen again.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Traded Moore for a 2nd round pick, was a good trade, traded a 3rd or 4th (got one of them back at the draft) and Ben Maxwell for Sopel, who was good for us.

I don't get the hate for the Kaberle trade, we don't have a cap issue, so its not like we need the money to spend it on anything. To Kaberle play during with Mtl was far better than it was with the Canes and Bruins, just as bad in his own end, but he put up offensive numbers in Mtl, so with only 1+ year left on his contract, he has decent trade value (see Zedlicky trade to the Devils), and he is a good backup plan for the PP if Markov is done atleast until Bealieau is ready.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Gotta say Wilde gives and takes on twitter, he talks hockey with almost anyone, unlike Tony Marinaro who blocks anyone who calls him out on his bs.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Gotta say Wilde gives and takes on twitter, he talks hockey with almost anyone, unlike Tony Marinaro who blocks anyone who calls him out on his bs.

He must have around 4 followers.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Every sports journalist in Montreal is a self-serving asshat. Especially Marinara, especially Wilde (who isn't even a sports journalist, more of an enthusiastic fan), especially that moron Stubbs. For being the greatest hockey city on earth I'm in disbelief how we can stand so many morons feeding us trite soundbites and recycled columns.

Then again, people who require sports radio/journalism to entertain themselves aren't likely to mind if it's repetitive. I just find it to be such a BORING timesink.

re: Gauthier - I saw what he was attempting to do, and I kind of believed in him. It's weird to think about how much pure hate he was receiving when he was handcuffed to a bunch of contracts on one end and to a strict, boring coach on the other end.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think the hate got exaggerated on the part of Gauthier where people just started inventing their own narratives. A good example is this very thread with the Fischer being pushed by Gauthier myth which has been debunked by Grant. Another myth was that Gauthier stiffled Timmins, but this is debunked as well with Timmins saying that he pushed Gauthier to trade up to acquire Tinordi. Other stuff was warranted (being anal about the cheeses, the jerseys, the being quiet about where players are being traded).

As for the trades and signings:

Good:
Moore for a 2nd
Wisniewski for 2nd
Eller and Schultz for Halak
Cole signing
Diaz signing
Emelin signing
Halpern signing
Budaj signing
moving up for Tinordi
Geoffrion, 2nd, Slaney for Gill

Meh/Wash
Sopel for Maxwell and wtv
Mara for the 5th
Nokelainen for Trotter(and a 5th I believe)
Blunden for Russell

Bad
Lapierre trade
Sergei trade
Kaberle trade(though I'm more in the too early to tell, but the rest of the board seems pretty unanimous).
Not re-signing Hamrlik and then not replacing him
D'agostini for Palushaj (we're finally getting a clear reading on this trade)

Too early to tell
Cammalleri for Bourque, Holland, and a 2nd...still don't know how Holland and that second will pan out. Saved cap space.
O'byrne for Bournival
Andrei for a 2nd

Last edited:

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
I think the hate got exaggerated on the part of Gauthier where people just started inventing their own narratives. A good example is this very thread with the Fischer being pushed by Gauthier myth which has been debunked by Grant. Another myth was that Gauthier stiffled Timmins, but this is debunked as well with Timmins saying that he pushed Gauthier to trade up to acquire Tinordi. Other stuff was warranted (being anal about the cheeses, the jerseys, the being quiet about where players are being traded).

As for the trades and signings:

Good:
Moore for a 2nd
Wisniewski for 2nd
Eller and Schultz for Halak
Cole signing
Diaz signing
Emelin signing
Halpern signing
Budaj signing
moving up for Tinordi
Geoffrion, 2nd, Slaney for Gill

Meh/Wash
Sopel for Maxwell and wtv
Mara for the 5th
Nokelainen for Trotter(and a 5th I believe)
Blunden for Russell

Bad
Lapierre trade
Sergei trade
Kaberle trade(though I'm more in the too early to tell, but the rest of the board seems pretty unanimous).
Not re-signing Hamrlik and then not replacing him
D'agostini for Palushaj (we're finally getting a clear reading on this trade)

Too early to tell
Cammalleri for Bourque, Holland, and a 2nd...still don't know how Holland and that second will pan out. Saved cap space.
O'byrne for Bournival
Andrei for a 2nd

I actually agree with your first instinct about the Kaberle trade. If Markov gets hurt, we might need him. If Markov is healthy, I think there may be a team willing to trade for Kaberle.

I disagree about calling the Tinordi move-up a win already. Looking at the players drafted 27-30 in the 2010 draft (Visentin, Coyle, Etem, Nelson) I think the jury is still out on whether we would have been better off standing pat for whoever was highest left on the Habs' list at 27.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I actually agree with your first instinct about the Kaberle trade. If Markov gets hurt, we might need him. If Markov is healthy, I think there may be a team willing to trade for Kaberle.

I disagree about calling the Tinordi move-up a win already. Looking at the players drafted 27-30 in the 2010 draft (Visentin, Coyle, Etem, Nelson) I think the jury is still out on whether we would have been better off standing pat for whoever was highest left on the Habs' list at 27.

I call it good because Gauthier was able to move up when Timmins asked him to, which is a GM's job. Whether Tinordi turns out to be better than those drafted after has to do more with Timmins vision, but Gauthier successfully carried out his request.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad