Brian MacLellan's tenure as GM of the Washington Capitals (UPD: rumor agreed to multi-year extens)

Liberati0n*

First move: Re-signing Leggio for a year.

First trade will involve sending Johansson out as part of a deal for a defenseman, probably at the draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ggested-ted-leonsis-make-changes-to-his-blog/
“Here’s one of the things,†May told Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro on The Sports Fix. “I’m not being critical of [Leonsis], but he does have his blog. He’s the only owner in the league that really reaches out to people the way he does and communicates with his fan base. And sometimes, I thought during the season, some of the things he articulated in those blogs created some problems around here. It was fodder for the press, and you don’t need to have that. It’s hard enough with the 24-hour news cycle now — the mainstream media guys have to work harder than they’ve ever worked to create content for their online presence, their social media following.

“So you’ve got to kind of end that, and everyone’s got to be on the same page,†May continued. “And silence would be better than just trying to explain yourself sometimes. So I felt that was a positive for Brian MacLellan to say that. And then obviously the general manager and the coach last year were not working in concert, and you could see that all season long. And the coach and the general manager, first and foremost, have to be the tightest duo on the team. They’ve got to work and do everything possible to show a united front, and that’s got to trickle down to the players.â€

This was all interesting to me, so I asked Leonsis about it. In an e-mail, the owner wrote that MacLellan “suggested that I blog about team; not about individual players. That I celebrate team success way more than individual success, and that that culture needs to start at the top. I agreed.â€
tp4eb0270a.jpg

Liberati0n*

Not that he's wrong, but is that really that ballsy of a thing to say? I don't know.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So the mystery appears solved. He got the job by telling Ted to not single out individual players in his blog. And reminded him that there is no I in team.

Good for him, but I would like to think Ted's PR guys could have told him those same things. If that is what separated him from the other candidates, so be it, but its hardly a new voice, more just common sense things. Public Relations 101 stuff Ted felt like he needed to be reminded about I suppose.

I will admit his blog doesn't help, but his blog pails in comparison to the NBC and Canadian media and their disdain for anything Ovi. I see his blog far down the totem pole as far as team issues go. And I bet the players never pay much attention to it.

One point I like that Mac made, was trying to do a better job of knowing when to trade prospects, selling high. I wonder if he was speaking of Green.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So the mystery appears solved. He got the job by telling Ted to not single out individual players in his blog. And reminded him that there is no I in team.

Good for him, but I would like to think Ted's PR guys could have told him those same things. If that is what separated him from the other candidates, so be it, but its hardly a new voice, more just common sense things. Public Relations 101 stuff Ted felt like he needed to be reminded about I suppose.

I will admit his blog doesn't help, but his blog pails in comparison to the NBC and Canadian media and their disdain for anything Ovi. I see his blog far down the totem pole as far as team issues go. And I bet the players never pay much attention to it.

One point I like that Mac made, was trying to do a better job of knowing when to trade prospects, selling high. I wonder if he was speaking of Green.

I'm sure it had to do a lot more than being critical of Ted.

Ted expanded on the sell high thing (on the Comcast coverage of the press conference where they talked to him afterwards). He specifically pointed out it was more about opportunities in the past where they could have traded young assets for a piece that could put them over the top but they were too attached to the young asset. (think Pronger)

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

One thing that I will say is that PR guys are worried about how it looks in the public and not how it plays in the locker room.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
That trade occurred before the official announcement that McPhee's contract was not being renewed, so I didn't put it on MacLellan's record. It may very well have been him, but there's no evidence to indicate that it wasn't McPhee's trade, since he was still technically the GM at the time.

I read somewhere that MacLennan executed the trade. Dont recall where though

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
hopefully Grabs will get signed!!! it's been along time since a big name FA was successful in Washington, they just sign them cheap for one year and let them walk...who would want to come here if Grabo doesn't get resigned????

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Early returns on BMac says he is not nearly as secretive as George. This is the information age and there is nothing wrong with telling fans a NTC hindered him getting after someone. Fans want to hear something being at least tried. Telling us the ask on Grabo is high is fine. We all know this. Nothing to hide there.

Not talking to the free agents is a bit of a bummer. Hearing the bad rap our org has with players and agents, maybe it will take a few years to undo the damage done by iron fist George. We have to really overpay to get many to come here. And of course, overpay in general. We are happy with our team type statements are pending e.g. Laich at 2C, in about a week or so.

If anything big is going down its going to be on the trade front IMO

I wonder about taking yet another euro winger. Specifically, is BMac actually our GM, or not. I am suspecting it is in name only more than we think, and that he is more a PR guy with how much of a chatterbox he has been.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Does anyone know if we've tendered any of our RFA's yet? If not, when does that information come out?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Thanks for updating Langway.

Leggio is not expected back in Hershey, so picking up Pasquale makes sense.

I haven't heard anything about the RFAs, except it sounds like they did not tender Nate Schmidt. My guess is they're working on a contract at a different number than his QO.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If they let him walk I feel like that's a big X on GMBM's report card. Schmidt should have been playing in the NHL last year on that bottom pairing, can't lose him in my opinion.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Apparently, keeping George for 17 years was in fact the result of Ted having absolutely no ****ing clue what to look for in a GM.

What an embarrassingly weak hire.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Ted is a blind idiot. How can you not see the job someone like Nill has done in Dallas?

1.Panic and reach for a goalie while giving up a third round pick.
2.Blow your Wad on one 33 year old defenseman potentially crippling the team down the line.
3. Pass on McDavid :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad