Brian MacLellan's tenure as GM of the Washington Capitals (UPD: rumor agreed to multi-year extens)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There's an awful lot of middle ground between two to three serious and obvious fits and 15-20 "inquiries." You can expand or inflate the perceived interest as much as you'd like but it would still likely boil down to about a handful when it really comes down to it. It also depends in part on their ask. If they're just giving him away for the cap space then, sure, there would be a lot of interest but they're very likely going to want either quality futures or a really good roster player. I doubt 20 teams would make serious inquiries beyond kicking tires. Mostly, this isn't Hasek we're talking about here and it's not like they would be selling high either. Jose Theodore was traded for...David Aebischer. That's not the type of deal Washington would be after (a cap dump basically). Before that you've got to go back to Patrick Roy to find a Vezina winner traded in a legit hockey trade and there were very clear reasons as to why with the player wanting out. The precedent isn't really there league-wide, nor would I expect this front office to be the ones that blaze that trail.

The timing lends itself more to the possibility that Grubauer attracts a stronger market given a likely smaller ask (more along the lines of the Jones/Schneider returns), his stronger play this season, his youth and lower cap hit as a speculative #1 option for teams that are in between solutions.

You just materialized my main point. Holtby being on the market would be a precedent setting event. So I don't really see how you could sit there and tell us what that market would look like. (and I know we aren't comparing Holtby to Theodore...right?)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Theodore was mentioned in light of being a past Vezina winner but the return makes that rather immaterial as a comparison.

I do not see the Washington Capitals setting this precedent. It just doesn't happen unless, like Roy, the player wants out. That he does have a (what?) seven-team NTC does restrict the market slightly, among other factors. But I'll stand by Holtby theoretically becoming available not setting the league on its edge with all presumed solid starters on tenuous ground. The only way it remotely happens is if Grubauer steals the starter spot and leads them to the CF/SCF. Even then I think there would still be some internal tension on whether to move Holtby and he'd, again, not be moving while at peak value.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Short of a full-team rebuild, trading Holtby this off-season in favor of Grubauer would be the ultimate "what have you done for me lately?" move.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Haven't we already proved we aren't afraid to move goalies when we moved Varlamov? That certainly was a risk at that point considering he had more NHL time compared to Neuvirth. Ultimately that didn't work out greatly in our favor with Neuvirth developing the injury/sick bug and the return for Varlamov being in the trade that shall not be named.

I think trading Holtby would be a smart salary cap decision if the right deal does come along. It could save us a few million dollars in salary cap space once Grubauer's extension gets worked out and you add in the backup's salary. It also recoups some assets, an area that people have constantly griped about with GMBM shedding draft picks. Plus, is Grubauer really that huge of a downgrade at this point? He's proving he wants to start somewhere next season with his play down the stretch. The next few games should be huge

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I guess my point is Varly essentially pushed the move with his demands. The Caps are not ones to ship big names out Willy nilly and that’s a concern IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I guess my point is Varly essentially pushed the move with his demands. The Caps are not ones to ship big names out Willy nilly and that’s a concern IMO.

You aren't saying that avoiding things done willy nilly is bad. Are you? Forsberg for Erat seems to me to fall into the big names/willy nilly category.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Forsberg for Erat seems to me to fall into the big names/willy nilly category.

IMO there is a decent difference between moving a prospect, even a blue chipper, a year or so away from becoming an NHL regular and moving a current front line player, especially one in their prime.

We cared about Forsberg getting traded but my guess is more than half the people who regularly attend Caps games had no idea who he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad