Rumor: Brian Gionta to sign with a playoff bound team

Brownies

Of the guys on team Canada, Roy is still better than most C that played for my Habs this year, IMO. I'd never sign Bourque for a whole year, but he's good in the playoffs and played hard around the net in the Olympiques. I liked what I saw from Noreau.

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
My God "leadership" is so overused in this game. When I drive by a road crew and there's 4 guys over 40 watching one 25 year old working a shovel, that's leadership!I swear it's a synonym for guys who suck but still like being paid like world class athletes. Or I have a 21 year old who parties like he's in Motley Crue and it's 1987, so I need someone with "leadership skills" to room him with on the road so we don't have dead hookers under the bed when the team checks out of the hotel. I could see how you need a little bit of this but honestly how can someone think that a washed up Gionta brings anything at all to a playoff team? What does it say to the team when you have a guy who has battled alongside them all year, a guy who is a brother to them, and you bring in a geezer like this to take his spot that he's paid for with his blood and sweat all season?
Cuz leadership.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
If he still wants to play he should try like Europe maybe UK or something. Swiss league might be to hard to get in and Germany. Best bet is to retire and help tge game through training or coaching.

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Gionta on a good 3rd or 4th line can be a contributer. He still has decent wheels. And decent shot. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: uncleben85

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Gionta still and always had a shot... that hit the goaltender right in the crest about 99.9% of the time.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Given that his deal would likely be at most $1M and there is no roster limit after the deadline, what’s the harm in a team adding another nhl-experienced spare part?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He had 0 points in 5 games and was a -4 in the Olympics that were below AHL quality. Not sure why anyone is going to want him.

I was going to say the exact same thing. He was "okay" in the games I watched. But only okay.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I suppose some GM is looking at role/fit for a 13/14 guy who won't cost anything but a contract spot.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Not a terrible 13th forward can probably still kill penalties if he ever plays. Can shoot the puck right at the goalie with the best of them.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
On the bright side, he can fill some teams short quota.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
5gp in olympics -4 0pts almost 40. Can't see why a team would sign him to be honest.

Could see a team take a gamble on Iginla over Gionta

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

In the linked article he also mentions the Devils and the Leafs as potential suitors.

I can't speak to BOS or NJD as well, but Toronto is simply not a fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad