Rumor: Brian Gionta to sign with a playoff bound team

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Uhhh no thanks? Is anyone looking for an undersized past his prime player?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's just a little bit of money. If he plays well then you added a player for nothing. If he doesn't you cut him loose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
By this logic he was also playing with players that were below AHL quality, correct?

That doesn't help his case at all, though. If you need to be playing with good players to produce anything, that's not saying anything good about Gionta.

He's an AHLer at this point, he's not better than just signing a guy like Chris Bourque.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I could see him being a nice addition for experience and help the younger players in the playoffs, but he's probably best as the 13th forward in the press box, is he willing to accept that role?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
That doesn't help his case at all, though. If you need to be playing with good players to produce anything, that's not saying anything good about Gionta.

He's an AHLer at this point, he's not better than just signing a guy like Chris Bourque.
I feel like a younger playoff team could definitely use him as a depth guy. Can never have too much leadership.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
His experience will prove useful when chasing the Calder Cup :sarcasm:

But yeah, not playing in any league this season, hard to see him being a difference maker. I guess he can prove me wrong then.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
My God "leadership" is so overused in this game. When I drive by a road crew and there's 4 guys over 40 watching one 25 year old working a shovel, that's leadership!I swear it's a synonym for guys who suck but still like being paid like world class athletes. Or I have a 21 year old who parties like he's in Motley Crue and it's 1987, so I need someone with "leadership skills" to room him with on the road so we don't have dead hookers under the bed when the team checks out of the hotel. I could see how you need a little bit of this but honestly how can someone think that a washed up Gionta brings anything at all to a playoff team? What does it say to the team when you have a guy who has battled alongside them all year, a guy who is a brother to them, and you bring in a geezer like this to take his spot that he's paid for with his blood and sweat all season?

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad