Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 3 year extension ($2.5m AAV)

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
About 10 years.

Look, I'm never going to actively root against our prospects. I just don't believe he's NHL ready, and is going to struggle which will lead us to turn to Elliot to be our starting goalie. I don't think Brian Elliot is a starting goaltender.

He's as good a starter, or better than Halak or Miller was for this team.

Following this train of thought, if we don't have a legitimate goalie who can be counted on in the playoffs, are we going to get further than the first round? I don't understand why people are so staunch in their defense of Elliot when he played against the Kings and, in reality, didn't play all that well, but will absolutely crucify Miller for his play against Chicago.

Because Miller's play wasn't any better against Chicago. At least no one is claiming Miller isn't starter material now, that's what they did with Elliot even though his numbers say otherwise.

I also don't understand why people think we have any shot at Stastny and that's where our cap savings from not signing Miller is going. What makes people think we even have a shot at getting him?

Because he grew up in St. Louis, although I've never understood why this means he'd want to leave the good situation he's in for the unknown. I grew up between STL & CHI and I never wanted to play for the Cubs or Cards (can't stand either team) but I'd love to step on the field just one time at Fenway.

Once again, I'm not going to root against Elliot or Allen. In fact, I hope they succeed and make me look like a complete tool for not having faith in them. That being said, I do think that our best chances at a legitimate cup run rested on the back of bringing Miller back.

Once again I believe you're wrong, beefing up the offense is what is gonna give us a legit shot at a cup run, Elliot plays our system and low shot outputs like a master, the best mentor Allen could possibly have, and a much better option, then spending a crap ton of money on a goalie who needs too see a ton of shots to thrive.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Brian Elliott's career numbers with us are in the elite range. 1.86 GAA .927 Sv% with 16 shutouts. Imagine what his numbers would be like if he never had that bad stretch during the lockout season. Now I'm not saying he is an elite goalie, but I don't think a lot of people realize just how good he has been for us.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's been good. I think we as Blues fans are probably a bit too harsh on our goalies. Elliott does allow some softies at times, but every goalie in the league allows soft goals sometimes. We've seen it in the playoffs and we saw it with Miller. I think we were kind of brainwashed into thinking that getting an "elite" goalie who has played in the Olympics and playoffs would all the sudden mean that wouldn't happen anymore, but nobody is perfect. We're going to have to get over that, because for the most part Elliott has been very good for this team. Aside from that one awful stretch last year, he's been pretty damn consistent.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Yep, Elliott's been good, no denying that. And I'm glad we signed him. But knowing Blues fans, here at this site and elsewhere, as soon as this goalie setup falters, even if its just a temporary setback, there will be hell to pay.

Personally, I like it. Elliott seems like a great guy, the other players loves playing for him, and having Allen in a kinda 1B situation should do wonders to get him acclimated to the NHL. Plus, frankly, they both come cheap. That means more money for other areas. Awesome.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Yep, Elliott's been good, no denying that. And I'm glad we signed him. But knowing Blues fans, here at this site and elsewhere, as soon as this goalie setup falters, even if its just a temporary setback, there will be hell to pay.

Personally, I like it. Elliott seems like a great guy, the other players loves playing for him, and having Allen in a kinda 1B situation should do wonders to get him acclimated to the NHL. Plus, frankly, they both come cheap. That means more money for other areas. Awesome.

nothing to add here, true in every which way.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's been good. I think we as Blues fans are probably a bit too harsh on our goalies. Elliott does allow some softies at times, but every goalie in the league allows soft goals sometimes. We've seen it in the playoffs and we saw it with Miller. I think we were kind of brainwashed into thinking that getting an "elite" goalie who has played in the Olympics and playoffs would all the sudden mean that wouldn't happen anymore, but nobody is perfect. We're going to have to get over that, because for the most part Elliott has been very good for this team. Aside from that one awful stretch last year, he's been pretty damn consistent.

Pretty much spot on. It's easy to forget these guys are humans and they are going to have bad days at some point. Elliott pretty much has the perfect disposition to be a goalie. When he's playing great you can tell he's confident but not cocky. The impressive part though is how he handles the rough patches. When he went through that terrible stretch last year, he just kept working hard and never complained. That stretch had to be absolutely frustrating, but he handled it flawlessly. What I love most though is what happens following a tough patch. I remember him coming back after that bad stretch and being absolutely monstrous. Gave up something like 8 goals in 7 games. He always seems to make up for his bad games.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
He's been good. I think we as Blues fans are probably a bit too harsh on our goalies. Elliott does allow some softies at times, but every goalie in the league allows soft goals sometimes. We've seen it in the playoffs and we saw it with Miller.

Yeah but you know what, the reason why everyone obsesses over the occasional softie is the lack of confidence that our offense can overcome it. We're missing the point with this whole thing: championship teams should be balanced enough to overcome an offensive, defensive or goaltending mistake without it derailing a game or series.

I think we were kind of brainwashed into thinking that getting an "elite" goalie who has played in the Olympics and playoffs would all the sudden mean that wouldn't happen anymore, but nobody is perfect. We're going to have to get over that, because for the most part Elliott has been very good for this team. Aside from that one awful stretch last year, he's been pretty damn consistent.

The primary issue is that we're a market like Toronto and Vancouver that automatically assumes by "upgrading" our goaltending all of our other issues magically get fixed. We are not the 1996 Avalanche in terms of leadership or skill, where the stud goalie is all that's needed.

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
Not sure that I have ever seen such euphoria over the prospect of going forward with a 29-year-old career backup and an unproven rookie up from the AHL. It is interesting that Blues fans are perfectly willing to completely write off Ryan Miller after a handful of mediocre performances, including a 2-4 playoff record against the defending Stanley Cup champions, but no one is the least bit concerned about the fact that the Jake Allen-led Wolves were swept out of the AHL playoffs, giving up four or more goals in every game. I guess he was unable to "steal" any games against the Marlies.

If it is true that Miller was looking for a long-term contract at $6 million per year (an assumption made by fans that is unconfirmed by anything from the Miller camp) and if Miller was as uncomfortable as he appeared to be playing in a system that forced him to change his style (as reported in the Buffalo News), I agree with the Blues' decision to move on from him. He is too old for a long-term commitment, and probably not a great fit for the Blues' system. And the additional cost isn't worth the risk. But no one should fool himself (or herself) into thinking that the Blues haven't exchanged one risk for another in placing their goaltending in the hands of two goalies who have not yet proved themselves as starting NHL goalies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Not sure that I have ever seen such euphoria over the prospect of going forward with a 29-year-old career backup and an unproven rookie up from the AHL. It is interesting that Blues fans are perfectly willing to completely write off Ryan Miller after a handful of mediocre performances, including a 2-4 playoff record against the defending Stanley Cup champions, but no one is the least bit concerned about the fact that the Jake Allen-led Wolves were swept out of the AHL playoffs, giving up four or more goals in every game. I guess he was unable to "steal" any games against the Marlies.

If it is true that Miller was looking for a long-term contract at $6 million per year (an assumption made by fans that is unconfirmed by anything from the Miller camp) and if Miller was as uncomfortable as he appeared to be playing in a system that forced him to change his style (as reported in the Buffalo News), I agree with the Blues' decision to move on from him. He is too old for a long-term commitment, and probably not a great fit for the Blues' system. And the additional cost isn't worth the risk. But no one should fool himself (or herself) into thinking that the Blues haven't exchanged one risk for another in placing their goaltending in the hands of two goalies who have not yet proved themselves as starting NHL goalies.

I think many of us are more satisfied with the prospect of paying 3.5 mil for both of our goalies, which opens up more money for scoring. And the fact that one of these goalies carries a career 1.86 GAA with the Blues (yes, albeit in a backup role) doesn't sound too shabby either. Goaltending was never a big issue, scoring was.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

The idea of bringing in a couple top 6 scorers is what makes me happy. I had high hopes for miller, but he didn't deliver, it's not all on him, the team sucked as a whole.

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Yep...I was 110% wrong. I didnt think there would be any way possible Army would have the stones to give up the picks he did, and then not bring Miller back. That has to mean that he is going to be aggressive this off season and bring in some top 3 talent. Wouldnt mind seeing a tweak on the blue line either. I think the lack of physical play from out top 3 guys back there was exposed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yep...I was 110% wrong. I didnt think there would be any way possible Army would have the stones to give up the picks he did, and then not bring Miller back. That has to mean that he is going to be aggressive this off season and bring in some top 3 talent. Wouldnt mind seeing a tweak on the blue line either. I think the lack of physical play from out top 3 guys back there was exposed.
Absolutely..... If our defense didn't get the puck out on the first try, it was downhill from there. I'd like to see some more physical D brought in but it's a big trade off

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Trading for Miller/Ott was a gamble. But the upside was having a solid starter who could elevate his game (like in the Vancouver Olympics). We all know how it turned out.

Running with Allen/Elliott is also a gamble. In this case, the gamble is that they will perform at a high level, but the upside is freeing up salary to spend elsewhere. We'll see how that works out, but I like the decision-making on this move.

Part Two is the free agency period. I'm warming on Spezza, but still prefer Stastny.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

That career backup somehow manage to completely outperform Miller in every meaningful goaltender statistic when he played the LA series last year. Elliott have us a chance to win. Every goaltender in the league is going to give up a soft goal at some point. It's up to the offense to pick him up.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I want to retract my prediction that Allen wins the Calder. Instead, I'm predicting that Elliott is the starter and is a contender for Vezina. Why the hell not?

(After reading his last interview, I just have this really positive vibe about him.)

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Love the signing! Plus when you come across a goalie who can stop pucks AND doesn't come off as a bit "kooky", maybe you should keep him a round. :laugh: I've been wanting this Elliot/Allen combo for a good while now. Miller did not pay off but I didn't fault Armstrong for taking the gamble. The truth is though, Elliot absolutely gave us the opportunity to win the series against LA in 2013 and hindsight says we should have used him and tried to pick up Mouslon or Vanek instead.

It almost feels like a weird dream in the way the final month of this season played out. Super strange all the way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad