Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 3 year extension ($2.5m AAV)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm glad you posted that. I just got the update on my phone, but it's not up on the website yet. I have to be honest, I'm really happy we brought him back. I think he's the perfect mentor to Allen. Hopefully this is a good sign and that Armstrong realizes that the true issues with this team are not in net, but actually scoring at crunch time.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Something I thought would happen for a long time and I'm happy about it.

We know where the money is going to be allocated this offseason: scoring.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Sweet. Glad to see Armstrong has the stones to cut his losses and move on. Elliott totally deserves the extension too; he's been our best goalie ever since he first signed.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Wow..... Ells deserves it that is for sure. I guess this means we are going all in on offense this offseason.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Nice, I'm ok with Allen/Elliott next year. Interested to see how much he got

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I'm happy, to say the least. Elliott has been great for us, so I'm glad to see he's willing to sit or step up when needed. Probably a great teammate.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm thrilled. I haven't seen the dollar amount(which could change my opinion quite drastically) but I love what Ells has brought to the team. His attitude is perfect for a backup. He's always prepared, and he always performs when he's called upon.

EDIT: 3 years, 7.5 million. Still thrilled.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Awesome. I would have been sad to see Els go. He has done amazing for us. And this is a great price for us, and a nice raise for him. Just a total, win-win. Now that we get the extra cap space of not signing a Miller type, we really need to hit free agency hard for scorers

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Before the suggestions come in... I don't believe we can trade Miller's rights. I'm sure there was a clause in the trade that trading him would be the same as extending in him terms of the conditional picks.

Plenty of credit for Armstrong getting this deal done and walking away from Miller, but that trade is beyond ridiculous.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Before the suggestions come in... I don't believe we can trade Miller's rights. I'm sure there was a clause in the trade that trading him would be the same as extending in him terms of the conditional picks.

Plenty of credit for Armstrong getting this deal done and walking away from Miller, but that trade is beyond ridiculous.

Yes, we can. I remember reading one of the conditions of the trade involved what happens if we trade his rights before the draft. I'll go check.

EDIT: Turns out to be exactly what you thought: if we trade him before our first pick in the draft, then the same conditions apply as they would if we re-signed him. Buffalo would get our 1st, we would get Minnesota's 2nd and Buffalo's 3rd. I doubt we'll go that route, but it is a possibility.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If we trade Miller's rights before the draft they still get our first. We'll most likely just let him walk, and that's ok with me. Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses. I'm just happy we brought Elliott back. He's the perfect mentor for Allen. He's good enough to carry the load, but we know he can handle stepping to the side if he's getting outplayed without acting like a baby. I'm actually really excited to see what he can do with a full year's worth of starts.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yes, we can. I remember reading one of the conditions of the trade involved what happens if we trade his rights before the draft. I'll go check.

EDIT: Turns out to be exactly what you thought: if we trade him before our first pick in the draft, then the same conditions apply as they would if we re-signed him. Buffalo would get our 1st, we would get Minnesota's 2nd and Buffalo's 3rd. I doubt we'll go that route, but it is a possibility.

Yeah, I shouldn't have been so definitive that we can't, it's just isn't going to happen.

Pending UFA's go for conditional picks, if he doesn't sign then we've given up the 24th overall for the ~50th & 61st pick. Not a risk that we could take.

That is an insane clause.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006

Miller underperforming in a small sample size relative to expectations does not make the trade ridiculous. The logic of adding a premier goaltender behind a top 3 defense and a cast of excellent two-way forwards is sound. I had completely lost in faith Halak and anyone should be able to understand why Army didn't want to roll into the playoffs for the second straight post-season with his teams' backup goalie when expectations were enormous.

It was an aggressive trade that just didn't work out. That's all.

Even if you hated the trade, it at least exposed, once and for all, the true weakness of the team. And moving on from Miller is the first sign that this offseason is going to be all about adding scoring punch.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Miller underperforming in a small sample size relative to expectations does not make the trade ridiculous. The logic of adding a premier goaltender behind a top 3 defense and a cast of excellent two-way forwards is sound. I had completely lost in faith Halak and anyone should be able to understand why Army didn't want to roll into the playoffs for the second straight post-season with his teams' backup goalie when expectations were enormous.

It was an aggressive trade that just didn't work out. That's all.

Even if you hated the trade, it at least exposed, once and for all, the true weakness of the team. And moving on from Miller is the first sign that this offseason is going to be all about adding scoring punch.

It was still the wrong trade to make. It's been plainly obvious for two years this team was lacking scoring help up front, and it hasn't been addressed. Goaltending was something that could have been addressed, but it was not at the top of the list. Personally, if you're making a deal at the deadline, you need to be addressing your area of biggest need, and that was scoring.

BluesCanada

Apr 21, 2014
We're thrilled we signed a backup goalie while clearly scapegoating Miller still?

Jake Allen isn't ready for the NHL and Elliot is a great number two goalie. If we had cup dreams, they rested on bringing Ryan back.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
We're thrilled we signed a backup goalie while clearly scapegoating Miller still?

Jake Allen isn't ready for the NHL and Elliot is a great number two goalie. If we had cup dreams, they rested on bringing Ryan back.

Wrong answer. Allen is more then ready to be the Blues starter this fall, playing 4 years in the AHL, Blues for once didn't rush a promising prospect.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is it a sign that I am too negative that I am still afraid Armstrong will resign Miller and trade Allen for an over-the-hill former Stars player? Or does that say something about the Blues personnel decisions the last few years? It is a weird feeling being happy with a Blues trade/free agent signing. I fear I will keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Can we trade Miller's rights back to Buffalo for our confidence in our GM without losing that pick?

BluesCanada

Apr 21, 2014
Wrong answer. Allen is more then ready to be the Blues starter this fall, playing 4 years in the AHL, Blues for once didn't rush a promising prospect.

I live in Toronto. I just saw the Marlies wreck Allen in 4 games.

Elliot is going to be named the starter after Allen struggles mightily early in the season. Do you really think Brian Elliot is going to be the answer and the difference maker in net?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Allen was one of(if not the) best goalies in the AHL last year. He's been in the AHL for 4 seasons. How is he not ready to split starts in the NHL? He has a one-way contract next year, so he's going to be in the NHL.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010

Miller did not out perform Elliott. You can say what you want but watching the last two playoffs Elliott at worst was equal to Miller for us. Bringing back Miller for more money than Elliott would hurt our cup chances much more than bringing Elliott the back and trying to address our scoring needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad