Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
15 points in 23 games...good for 7th in the league in defenceman scoring.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I'm thinking it will be good for his development if management intentionally omits him from the big club after training camp next season, regardless of how good he's played.

I want Guhle hungry as a wolf when he bursts onto the NHL scene.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm thinking it will be good for his development if management intentionally omits him from the big club after training camp next season, regardless of how good he's played.

I want Guhle hungry as a wolf when he bursts onto the NHL scene.

So if he comes in "hungry" has a great camp and earns his spot. You' take it from him deflate him and hope that works to make him more motivated?

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
So if he comes in "hungry" has a great camp and earns his spot. You' take it from him deflate him and hope that works to make him more motivated?
Yes. The difference in opinion here that I'm sensing is that you think it would be deflating and I think it would be motivating.

Why do you think it would deflate him?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yes. The difference in opinion here that I'm sensing is that you think it would be deflating and I think it would be motivating.

Why do you think it would deflate him?

If phaneuf didn't clobber him last year he looked good. He looked good this year. He looks great for the amerks now. If he keeps that up and comes to camp and looks ready again and you demote him again I'm sure he views ot differently than you an armchair GM does. It' really very simple of you'e watched his development and heard his press conferences.

Granted my argument is based on him sustaining his ahl rate and a hypothetical strong camp which I admit.

Your rationale is red wing esque...slow cool until you burn. It's not like the sabres have a huge need for defenseman or an infusion of speed and/or offense from the backend...keep him down you'e right. Even if he earned it.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
If phaneuf didn't clobber him last year he looked good. He looked good this year. He looks great for the amerks now. If he keeps that up and comes to camp and looks ready again and you demote him again I'm sure he views ot differently than you an armchair GM does. It' really very simple of you'e watched his development and heard his press conferences.

Granted my argument is based on him sustaining his ahl rate and a hypothetical strong camp which I admit.

Your rationale is red wing esque...slow cool until you burn. It's not like the sabres have a huge need for defenseman or an infusion of speed and/or offense from the backend...keep him down you'e right. Even if he earned it.
I'm not saying that we should keep him down forever, just extend his stay in Rochester until after the NHL season starts. Maybe 20 games. If it's undeniable that he needs to be on the Sabres he comes up. Is Guhle going to make us a playoff team next year all on his own? I don't think so. And further reason to leave him down longer than a lot of people want.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm not saying that we should keep him down forever, just extend his stay in Rochester until after the NHL season starts. Maybe 20 games. If it's undeniable that he needs to be on the Sabres he comes up. Is Guhle going to make us a playoff team next year all on his own? I don't think so. And further reason to leave him down longer than a lot of people want.

So we burn another 2 million dollars on a roster player and 20 games in a season for him to show for a 3rd or 4th time just to make him hungier? Stop it. This team is devoid of talent especially on the backend. IF he shows he earned it then you give him a spot.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The best players in the organization should play period. If Guhle keeps it up there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be up with the big club by the middle/end of January if not sooner. He had two great camps right after being drafted. He looked smooth calm and confident in his cup of coffee last season. He started off slow this year and has been turning it up lately. There has been exactly 50 games played combined by Falk, Fedun, Tennyson, Gorges and Redmond. Those are 5 horrendous garbage players who have dressed for 50 games. Guhle is far far better.

There is zero reason Guhle shouldn't get at least 20 games with the Sabres this year. Enough with the tired and patently false narrative of every good young player needs to be "slow cooked" in the minors, it's just laughable. Good young players should be in the NHL period if they are good enough. Brandon Carlo didn't need to Be "slow cooked" longer then he needed to be. Same should apply to Guhle. Him playing in the AHL when he is good enough for the NHL will not make him better . Guhle playing in the NHL against elite competition and getting significant minutes in a throw away season will make him better. He's about to be 21, he's ready for games that actually matter .

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The best players in the organization should play period. If Guhle keeps it up there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be up with the big club by the middle/end of January if not sooner. He had two great camps right after being drafted. He looked smooth calm and confident in his cup of coffee last season. He started off slow this year and has been turning it up lately. There has been exactly 50 games played combined by Falk, Fedun, Tennyson, Gorges and Redmond. Those are 5 horrendous garbage players who have dressed for 50 games. Guhle is far far better.

There is zero reason Guhle shouldn't get at least 20 games with the Sabres this year. Enough with the tired and patently false narrative of every good young player needs to be "slow cooked" in the minors, it's just laughable. Good young players should be in the NHL period if they are good enough. Brandon Carlo didn't need to Be "slow cooked" longer then he needed to be. Same should apply to Guhle. Him playing in the AHL when he is good enough for the NHL will not make him better . Guhle playing in the NHL against elite competition and getting significant minutes in a throw away season will make him better. He's about to be 21, he's ready for games that actually matter .

Go tell that to Botterill.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Go tell that to Botterill.

Well with Botterills background it is quite apparent he prefers to overdo the development time in the AHL. Which is something I do not agree with at all. This isn't the Penguins organization, we can't afford to keep better players in Rochester because our GM doesn't like to "rush" players. I am actually quite interested to see How long it takes before Guhle and/or Smith get a game with the big club.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well with Botterills background it is quite apparent he prefers to overdo the development time in the AHL. Which is something I do not agree with at all. This isn't the Penguins organization, we can't afford to keep better players in Rochester because our GM doesn't like to "rush" players. I am actually quite interested to see How long it takes before Guhle and/or Smith get a game with the big club.

So short term gratification rather than meeting long-term goals? One would hope Botterill is building for the duration.

Reactions: CacOBG

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Currently there are maybe 6-8 players on the team that are worth keeping long-term. That's a lot of holes to fill and sending guys up to fill them here and there, while the team is garbage both on and probably off the ice, isn't a good atmosphere to learn as a new NHLer. I'd just assume Botterill get Rochester totally squared away and let the Sabres burn in the meantime. Then he can bring in actual talent in groups of 3 or 4 or 5, change the climate at the same time, get these guys wanting to play for each other because they've already been teammates in Rochester. Yeah, that's probably two seasons away.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Normally I would agree with this but this year may be an exception. Amerks are actually good this year compared to previous years, let them build their game and confidence on a winning team. Draft Dahlin or someone good in the top 5 and try to turn things around next year by bringing those players up assuming they have a good camp.

Next year bring up Guhle, Smith, Mittelstadt, Olofsson,and Dahlin(or whoever we end up picking) and hope most of those players can stick. I rather it be a couple of players at once rather than one at a time because one player is not going to turn the Sabres around. Olofsson might not want to go to the Amerks and he needs to be signed soon before we lose his rights. Mittelstadt needs to get a taste of the NHL before we lose him to college for few more years then deciding he doesn't want to play here like Petersen. Smith has deserved a call up for sure as has Guhle so hopefully they're solid NHLers next year.

Mittelstadt/Eichel/Olofsson
Smith/ROR/Pominville
Pouliot/Reinhart/Erod
Wilson/Josefeson/Okposo

Fasching?Asplund?Larsson?Nylander?Bailey? Baptiste? Girgs? Kane is most likely gone but no idea on the return, if its picks doubtful they will make the roster next year.

Scandella/Risto
Dahlin or Boqvist/Antipin
Guhle/Beaulieu

McCabe?Bogosian? We have too many lefty shooting D IMO. Harder to play where Antipin and Beaulieu are in this lineup. Bogo shoots right but hes always broken. Still pretty bad D on the right side. Maybe Kane gets us someone.

???????
Ullmark or a FA signing

Lehner and Johnson are probably both gone. I assume Lehner gets traded for a goalie in return.

At least something like this would be my pipedream. lol rather watch most of those players over what we have now. Swap around or in pieces by performance.

RhinosLastFan

Nov 7, 2017
Mittelstadt/Eichel/Olofsson
Smith/ROR/Pominville
Pouliot/Reinhart/Erod
Wilson/Josefeson/Okposo

Fasching?Asplund?Larsson?Nylander?Bailey? Baptiste? Girgs? Kane is most likely gone but no idea on the return, if its picks doubtful they will make the roster next year.

Scandella/Risto
Dahlin or Boqvist/Antipin
Guhle/Beaulieu

I don't think that lineup gets you to the playoffs unless both Mittelstadt and the 2nd pair LD are all star quality. Pommer playing 2nd line minutes slows him down after 20 games, 3rd line is very soft and three of your top6 are rookies. Recipe for another top5 pick IMO.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don't think that lineup gets you to the playoffs unless both Mittelstadt and the 2nd pair LD are all star quality. Pommer playing 2nd line minutes slows him down after 20 games, 3rd line is very soft and three of your top6 are rookies. Recipe for another top5 pick IMO.

Hard to say since most of them have never seen the NHL. But it is something similar to what the Leafs did.

As is Pommers is playing 1st line.

3rd line doesn't need to be physical if ur running 3 scoring lines and it's not any less physical than it is this year.

One must assume Dahlin or Boqvist will be a massive upgrade. Mittelstadt has been really good this season, hopefully it translates to the NHL, same with Olofsson.

I don't see any downgrades in that lineup but a lot of question marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad