Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Andlauer has a great understanding of the business of hockey and where the OHL fits and probably understands a much greater chance of success in Brantford then Burlington.
If history has taught us anything it's to keep OHL franchises as far away from the GTA as possible.
Oshawa being the exception...

I wouldn’t consider Oshawa as GTA. Maybe it is technically within the map but I think even Whitby could get a team and they could have Whitby and Oshawa and they’d both be more successful than Mississauga financially. That area isn’t the same as Mississauga and Brampton. I could see maybe Pickering being like those areas but even Ajax may be a bit of a stretch as being identified in the GTA bucket.

Burlington will be tough. But not in the same way as Mississauga or Brampton. It is far enough away that there are people working in Hamilton etc. It may be enough of a separation.

Gatineau is in such a horrible spot for the QMJHL. Their travel is like SSM in many ways. They pretty much have to go through Montreal to get anywhere in the league. It would be awesome if we could somehow annex Gatineau into the OHL.

Last edited:

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I wouldn’t consider Oshawa as GTA. Maybe it is technically within the map but I think even Whitby could get a team and they could have Whitby and Oshawa and they’d both be more successful than Mississauga financially. That area isn’t the same as Mississauga and Brampton. I could see maybe Pickering being like those areas but even Ajax may be a bit of a stretch as being identified in the GTA bucket.

Burlington will be tough. But not in the same way as Mississauga or Brampton. It is far enough away that there are people working in Hamilton etc. It may be enough of a separation.

Gatineau is in such a horrible spot for the QMJHL. Their travel is like SSM in many ways. They pretty much have to go through Montreal to get anywhere in the league. It would be awesome if we could somehow annex Gatineau into the OHL.
The proposed Burlington site is just about as far west in the city as you could get.

It'll be interesting to see what they decide.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The proposed Burlington site is just about as far west in the city as you could get.

It'll be interesting to see what they decide.

One of the keys is whether they can get current fan base to follow them. At least if they can get or start with a solid fan base, it would be good. It would be tough to have to virtually start from scratch.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023

If Gatineau wasnt there then Val d'or and Royun Noranda would have nothing closer than 7 hours or so (aside from each other). Montreal is only 2 hours away - and there are 3 or so teams in and around that area - not much more than Kingston to Ottawa-Oshawa-Peterborough.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Gatineau wasnt there then Val d'or and Royun Noranda would have nothing closer than 7 hours or so (aside from each other). Montreal is only 2 hours away - and there are 3 or so teams in and around that area - not much more than Kingston to Ottawa-Oshawa-Peterborough.

You’ve never tried to drive through Montreal….

Like SSM, it is what it is for towns like Val D’Or and Rouyan Noranda. To get to Gatineau, they need to go through Montreal as well. So either those teams make a right turn and head to Gatineau or a left turn and head to the other teams in their division. Makes no real discernible difference for those teams if Gatineau were in the league or not.

Having Gatineau in the OHL would give the East Division five teams on the east side of Toronto which is what this division needs. Of course, Cornwall has always been a topic of discussion but I’m not sure that will ever actually happen. Losing Belleville has been horrid for this Division.

This is just a leisurely topic anyway. It is not like Gatineau would ever be int he OHL but it would be super fun. That is a crazy fanbase and a great rink. Ottawa vs Gatineau 8 times per year would really chop a lot of travel off the schedule. It would also help teams coming out East when they can camp in Ottawa for two games. Strategically speaking, it would be great but will never happen.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
You’ve never tried to drive through Montreal….

Like SSM, it is what it is for towns like Val D’Or and Rouyan Noranda. To get to Gatineau, they need to go through Montreal as well. So either those teams make a right turn and head to Gatineau or a left turn and head to the other teams in their division. Makes no real discernible difference for those teams if Gatineau were in the league or not.

Having Gatineau in the OHL would give the East Division five teams on the east side of Toronto which is what this division needs. Of course, Cornwall has always been a topic of discussion but I’m not sure that will ever actually happen. Losing Belleville has been horrid for this Division.

This is just a leisurely topic anyway. It is not like Gatineau would ever be int he OHL but it would be super fun. That is a crazy fanbase and a great rink. Ottawa vs Gatineau 8 times per year would really chop a lot of travel off the schedule. It would also help teams coming out East when they can camp in Ottawa for two games. Strategically speaking, it would be great but will never happen.
Why do you always act like you know more than anyone else. Like you are the defacto expert on Major Jr in Canada and nobody else has a valid opinion. No In my entire life I've never tried to drive through montreal. Ottawa is worse to drive in/through than Montreal!!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Why do you always act like you know more than anyone else. Like you are the defacto expert on Major Jr in Canada and nobody else has a valid opinion. No In my entire life I've never tried to drive through montreal. Ottawa is worse to drive in/through than Montreal!!

I don’t understand. Nothing I added there was meant to be mean spirited. If it was received that way, that’s not what was intended at all so I fully apologize if it comes across that way. It’s jsut a very leisure topic not meant to be serious in any way because it is more a pie in the sky scenario.

Jsut for some context, there was a big article a few years back about the travel for Gatineau and how difficult it was considering the relative short distances because they need to go through Montreal and face all the troubles of that for every away game. It typically adds 1-2 hours travel time because of how difficult it is to get through Montreal. I probably should have referenced that but didn’t think the convo was deep enough to get into it in great detail.

Again, apologies if I offended you. Totally not my intention at all. I’m not trying to make enemies.

Reactions: Jawk

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
One of the keys is whether they can get current fan base to follow them. At least if they can get or start with a solid fan base, it would be good. It would be tough to have to virtually start from scratch.
The proposed location is great, but that's probably not enough.

Not that I'd switch my support, but the location would be 15 minutes from me. Brantford and Niagara are both about 45 minutes.

I wonder if they could pick up the casual Bulldog fan that has no interest in Brantford (there are not many of those.)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The proposed location is great, but that's probably not enough.

Not that I'd switch my support, but the location would be 15 minutes from me. Brantford and Niagara are both about 45 minutes.

I wonder if they could pick up the casual Bulldog fan that has no interest in Brantford (there are not many of those.)

Honestly, I really don’t know the area well enough from the perspective of local travel patterns. By that, I mean, I don’t know how people migrate around that zone. I grew up in Durham Region so I have a strong sense that people from Pickering wouldn’t go to Oshawa (typically). I know that the demographics in Brampton and Mississauga don’t lend themselves to supporting Major Junior hockey. I think Burlington is far enough away that it stands alone. I would think Oakville is the demarcation point between Toronto ‘proper” and suburbs so to speak as we go around the shoreline. With Urban sprawl, I think Mississauga and Brampton have pretty much been eaten up by Toronto.

Like any franchise, the emphasis for success is based on quality of the facility, quality of the product on the ice and how well the off ice team works at communications and promotions are likely the big three elements. So, if they end up in Burlington, they will need to build a fanbase so that off ice team has to be strong and they will likely need to put some money behind it.

I don’t think that area is too big for Junior Hockey. I think the residents there would likely appreciate Junior Hockey more than some of the bigger towns like Mississauga and Brampton. Ottawa benefits from being very neighbourhood centric. They get a decent amount of support from the areas around the Glebe plus support through minor hockey programs. Even though it is an NHL city, they have managed to slice out their own fanbase. The central GTA area teams haven’t managed to find the right formula for that. That said, there is a lot more traffic and hassle getting around in that area so I can see why it has been a challenge.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Honestly, I really don’t know the area well enough from the perspective of local travel patterns. By that, I mean, I don’t know how people migrate around that zone. I grew up in Durham Region so I have a strong sense that people from Pickering wouldn’t go to Oshawa (typically). I know that the demographics in Brampton and Mississauga don’t lend themselves to supporting Major Junior hockey. I think Burlington is far enough away that it stands alone. I would think Oakville is the demarcation point between Toronto ‘proper” and suburbs so to speak as we go around the shoreline. With Urban sprawl, I think Mississauga and Brampton have pretty much been eaten up by Toronto.

Like any franchise, the emphasis for success is based on quality of the facility, quality of the product on the ice and how well the off ice team works at communications and promotions are likely the big three elements. So, if they end up in Burlington, they will need to build a fanbase so that off ice team has to be strong and they will likely need to put some money behind it.

I don’t think that area is too big for Junior Hockey. I think the residents there would likely appreciate Junior Hockey more than some of the bigger towns like Mississauga and Brampton. Ottawa benefits from being very neighbourhood centric. They get a decent amount of support from the areas around the Glebe plus support through minor hockey programs. Even though it is an NHL city, they have managed to slice out their own fanbase. The central GTA area teams haven’t managed to find the right formula for that. That said, there is a lot more traffic and hassle getting around in that area so I can see why it has been a challenge.
IF they built a Burlington arena in Aldershot, that isn't far at all from downtown Hamilton (15 mins). Many fans complain that they can't get to Brantford by bus. They could easily bus to Burlington.

They would pick up some Hamilton fans for sure.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The lines for tonight’s game look like they went through the blender a bit.

The worst part is seeing Thomas paired with Moore on defence. Yes, Patrick Thomas on defence…

Reactions: Rounder8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
IF they built a Burlington arena in Aldershot, that isn't far at all from downtown Hamilton (15 mins). Many fans complain that they can't get to Brantford by bus. They could easily bus to Burlington.

They would pick up some Hamilton fans for sure.

That would be good for sure. I think it is important to start with a solid fanbase. It looks like there is a decent fanbase in Brantford so if they built a rink there, it looks like it would work. Maybe one of Burlington or Brantford would be good for the Steelheads?

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
That would be good for sure. I think it is important to start with a solid fanbase. It looks like there is a decent fanbase in Brantford so if they built a rink there, it looks like it would work. Maybe one of Burlington or Brantford would be good for the Steelheads?
Just a point of reference, and these are not official numbers released by the club, in Hamilton they struggled to get to ~1000 season holders. In Brantford they have about ~2500, are going to add the standing room to be available for season purchase, and have a significant wait list.

A lot of people point to the empty seats in Brantford, but they're always sold. It's businesses not giving away their tickets or people just no showing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just a point of reference, and these are not official numbers released by the club, in Hamilton they struggled to get to ~1000 season holders. In Brantford they have about ~2500, are going to add the standing room to be available for season purchase, and have a significant wait list.

A lot of people point to the empty seats in Brantford, but they're always sold. It's businesses not giving away their tickets or people just no showing.

Yes, and that is what I assumed. The support seems fine in Brantford. That is why I think it would be a great spot if they could get the rink built. Having ~2500 season tickets with a waiting list is a seriously great foundation from which to build. IMO Brantford is the perfect size town for the OHL. There are other local centres within 15-30 minutes to draw additional fans from. I love that they are there now and the building is basically sold out.

I still would like to see a team move or be added East of Toronto so we can have five tears int he East that are east of Toronto but it isn’t always perfect. If Brantford stays in place, I think it may be tough to keep them in this division. That isn’t meant to open a realignment discussion.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Yes, and that is what I assumed. The support seems fine in Brantford. That is why I think it would be a great spot if they could get the rink built. Having ~2500 season tickets with a waiting list is a seriously great foundation from which to build. IMO Brantford is the perfect size town for the OHL. There are other local centres within 15-30 minutes to draw additional fans from. I love that they are there now and the building is basically sold out.

I still would like to see a team move or be added East of Toronto so we can have five tears int he East that are east of Toronto but it isn’t always perfect. If Brantford stays in place, I think it may be tough to keep them in this division. That isn’t meant to open a realignment discussion.
Realignment should be on the table when/if they stay in Brantford. I'd imagine any potential team (Mississauga/Brampton or Barrie) moving divisions wouldn't be too happy.

Reactions: OMG67

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
The lines for tonight’s game look like they went through the blender a bit.

The worst part is seeing Thomas paired with Moore on defence. Yes, Patrick Thomas on defence…
I went to the game last night. As a Sudbury fan, I was cheering for Brantford. When the announcer read who wasn't in the lineup, I swear the list was a page long. Sucks that Lardis was out, and I heard there was a forward playing D.
Overall, I think Brantford played well but missed some key chances. Protz with a brutal giveaway on the first NB goal. Seemed like they cut the sticks short an inch because a lot of net front passes that should have been potted into open nets were whiffed.
Bulldogs definitely had the power-play advantage, but NB goalie stood tall. I think he was the key difference in this game. Without him, you're probably looking at a Bulldogs win.
Rebelo I believe looked tentative to jump into the corners, or in the end boards to battle for a puck. Saw him ease up a couple times.
Hopefully some of your guys come back before the playoffs.
Wolves were missing three key guys in NB on Sunday and fell 4-2 as well.

Last edited:

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I went to the game last night. As a Sudbury fan, I was cheering for Brantford. When the announcer read who wasn't in the lineup, I swear the list was a page long. Sucks that Lardis was out, and I heard there was a forward playing D.
Overall, I think Brantford played well but missed some key chances. Protz with a brutal giveaway on the first NB goal. Seemed like they cut the sticks short an inch because a lot of net front passes that should have been potted into open nets were whiffed.
Bulldogs definitely had the power-play advantage, but NB goalie stood tall. I think he was the key difference in this game. Without him, you're probably looking at a Bulldogs win.
Rebelo I believe looked tentative to jump into the corners, or in the end boards to battle for a puck. Saw him ease up a couple times.
Hopefully some of your guys come back before the playoffs.
Wolves were missing three key guys in NB on Sunday and fell 4-2 as well.
The regulars that were out,

Hamara - Last played Feb 9
Okitundu - last played Feb 11
Bujold - last played March 2
Lardis - last played Jan 9

Thomas, a F, played on the 2nd pairing last night because, 1. Our AP D have GOJHL playoffs, and 2. You can't put him on the 3rd pairing with Chen who is a rookie D that was playing U18 last year.

Have to play with the roster you have, but lately it's been tough against other top teams.

Edit: correction, Lardis is Jan 9, not Feb 9

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Drobak is not dressed. Is there anything wrong or are they giving him a day off?

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Drobak is not dressed. Is there anything wrong or are they giving him a day off?

Bulldogs Instagram has him as the starter.

Most important weekend of the season and Bujold is the only injured player back.

Going to be tough.

Egorov isn't in the lineup though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Bulldogs Instagram has him as the starter.

Most important weekend of the season and Bujold is the only injured player back.

Going to be tough.

Egorov isn't in the lineup though.

The OHL Site has Drobak as scratched. Egorov as the starter with Snyder as the backup.

Reactions: Rounder8

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
The OHL Site has Drobak as scratched. Egorov as the starter with Snyder as the backup.
Drobak is not dressed. They have not said why.

Egorov starting. Snyder (Niagara Falls - OJHL) backing up.

Injuries for the Bulldogs not getting better. However, Lardis is only week away.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021

Injuries for the Bulldogs not getting better. However, Lardis is only week away.
Rebelo also listed on the 2nd D pairing, so this will be fun.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

The broadcast said Drobac is under the weather.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad