Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Crap, I didn't realize Sobolev missed the 3rd. If they lose him they're done.
I only know he left because Reed Duthie said it on the broadcast. I agree though, if he’s added to the injuries, I don’t see the Bulldogs maintaining their position in the standings.

What happen to Sobolev
Not sure why he didn’t return, but hopefully it was precautionary. There wasn’t anything said on the broadcast leading up to it that indicated he was hurt.

He does however block a ton of shots. Sobolev and Grushnikov have a lot of similarity with hobbling off to the bench after blocking a shot off the foot or ankle and returning soon after. Both guys are absolute warriors.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I’m not surprised at all due to the injuries within the roster. Mississauga is a very good team, and injuries to the defence were bound to catch up to the Bulldogs.

Already missing Lardis, Hamara, and Okitundu. Bujold and Tsherna were out today as well, and we played 1 player short. Add a Xhekaj game misconduct (Bulldogs were already down 2-0) and Sobolev not returning for the 3rd period.

Hopefully we get a couple bodies back, and Xhekaj isn’t suspended for the game versus Oshawa on Friday.
What did Florian do?

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
No Bujold today. Hopefully he isn't out for too long.

Testa back in the lineup. I heard that he had been a healthy scratch the last few. It would be nice if he could get going again.
I had heard that he was resting a mild concussion that he received in practice.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I had heard that he was resting a mild concussion that he received in practice.
Hopefully he’s back soon. He also left the game versus Kingston on Saturday and sat with Lardis up in the box for the third period. Didn’t notice anything that might have happened to him before that.

Rattler

Sep 2, 2022
Xhekaj, Sobolev, Bujold, Hamara, Lardis, Okitundu, 6 top/reg players, potentially missing game tomorrow.
Nightmare scenario for Bulldogs staff in Eastern Conference leadership deciding game.
Not sure what they can do at this point, other then try to pull 120% out of every player dressing up for them.
Hope they can keep it close to have an entertaining game.

Reactions: dirty12

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
There's a very decent chance that they fall to 3rd in the division.

A decimated lineup and Oshawa and Ottawa are playing very well.

They surprise me again and again though, so who knows...

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Good win over the Petes. Josh Avery with a great game, really stepped up for the mountain of players out the Bulldogs have. Team is still playing with tons of heart as they have for the past two seasons when undermanned.

Next 3 games will be very challenging but important to the standings.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I don't know if there has ever been a player more loved by the crowd than Vanacker. The building absolutely adores him.

The CSS jerseys are always not great, and his went for $730.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
I was able to attend my first game this past Sunday. As a long time OHL fan and Brantford resident it felt a little surreal going to a OHL game in Brantford. Just a couple observations:
1) The civic Centre looked fantastic considering the state it was in beforehand. The lighting, boards and glass really stood out. Also the seats (a few years ago the seats where wood!)
2) Sound system was a little overpowering and static at some times. Unfortunately the mic did not work for the girl singing the anthem. Has there been problems with the audio system?
3) I love the song Hypnotize by BIG. Its now stuck in my head hearing it each time the Bulldogs scored. But it does get annoying having the song played with all the edits for the lyrics which I understand with the kids and people who take offence to everything. But maybe have a goal song that does not require so many edits

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I was able to attend my first game this past Sunday. As a long time OHL fan and Brantford resident it felt a little surreal going to a OHL game in Brantford. Just a couple observations:
1) The civic Centre looked fantastic considering the state it was in beforehand. The lighting, boards and glass really stood out. Also the seats (a few years ago the seats where wood!)
2) Sound system was a little overpowering and static at some times. Unfortunately the mic did not work for the girl singing the anthem. Has there been problems with the audio system?
3) I love the song Hypnotize by BIG. It’s now stuck in my head hearing it each time the Bulldogs scored. But it does get annoying having the song played with all the edits for the lyrics which I understand with the kids and people who take offence to everything. But maybe have a goal song that does not require so many edits
Sounds like you had a good time overall.
1. I never saw it before the renos except for pictures/videos posted online, but overall I’m impressed with how everything turned out, and how fast they got everything done.
2. Can’t say I recall the mic not working for the anthem prior to then, but technical issues do occasionally happen. Sometimes it’s the anthem singer themself not realizing they need to turn it on.
3. Hypnotize has been the goal song since 2021-22 - when they last won the OHL championship. They did start this season with Hey Yeah by Outkast, but it lacked energy, and the team was losing. The Bulldogs then switched back to Hypnotize. Generally the players get a say in the goal song.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
3) I love the song Hypnotize by BIG. Its now stuck in my head hearing it each time the Bulldogs scored. But it does get annoying having the song played with all the edits for the lyrics which I understand with the kids and people who take offence to everything. But maybe have a goal song that does not require so many edits

They did a terrific job with the building, considering what they had to work with. They also do a good job experimenting with new ways to utilize the space they have.

Sound system went out on the one side of the building before the anthem and took a bit to get it up again. The singer that day has sung in the past (the last championship year she was the main anthem singer), I'm sure she will be back.

Reactions: Canadian Game

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
Sounds like you had a good time overall.
1. I never saw it before the renos except for pictures/videos posted online, but overall I’m impressed with how everything turned out, and how fast they got everything done.
2. Can’t say I recall the mic not working for the anthem prior to then, but technical issues do occasionally happen. Sometimes it’s the anthem singer themself not realizing they need to turn it on.
3. Hypnotize has been the goal song since 2021-22 - when they last won the OHL championship. They did start this season with Hey Yeah by Outkast, but it lacked energy, and the team was losing. The Bulldogs then switched back to Hypnotize. Generally the players get a say in the goal song.

Had a great time. Ever since I was kid I would go to a few OHL games a year, Guelph was my adoptive team and I would always think how great it would be for Brantford to have a team. I have been following the prospects of the city building a new arena very closely, read the reports by the consultant and watched the council meetings when the new arena has been the topic of discussion. I feel very optimistic that if Andlauer wants to stay in Brantford, council looks very eager to make an arena deal work.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Had a great time. Ever since I was kid I would go to a few OHL games a year, Guelph was my adoptive team and I would always think how great it would be for Brantford to have a team. I have been following the prospects of the city building a new arena very closely, read the reports by the consultant and watched the council meetings when the new arena has been the topic of discussion. I feel very optimistic that if Andlauer wants to stay in Brantford, council looks very eager to make an arena deal work.

The new rink is going to get done. The one new twist will be Burlington and their plan for an OHL sized building.

I believe the city wants Andlauer, Andlauer wants Brantford, BUT he moves 1 step at a time and will for sure be using Burlington in his negotiations.

coolhandluc44

Jan 29, 2024
The new rink is going to get done. The one new twist will be Burlington and their plan for an OHL sized building.

I believe the city wants Andlauer, Andlauer wants Brantford, BUT he moves 1 step at a time and will for sure be using Burlington in his negotiations.
Very interesting about Burlington. Even myself, a diehard OHL fan wouldn't take the risk of building a new arena without having a signed agreement with a team, Bulldogs or other.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens

I think Andlauer has a great understanding of the business of hockey and where the OHL fits and probably understands a much greater chance of success in Brantford then Burlington.
If history has taught us anything it's to keep OHL franchises as far away from the GTA as possible.
Oshawa being the exception...

Reactions: Jawk

three dog night

May 3, 2014

Maybe the future home for the Stealheads.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00