Confirmed with Link: Brandon Sutter signs PTO with Oilers

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Were just doing this to get on Daryl Sutters good side for when we ask him to take over from woody halfway though next year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I wonder who?
giphy.gif

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Country club? Weird choice of words.

I’ve never seen anything to suggest that the current Oiler club and org is a lackadaisical collection of non interested players. Rather, it’s been the opposite.

Would you rather they run elite NHLrs in all 8 games in the meaningless preseason? I prefer the more prudent asset management model, I guess.
Maybe check on MackDavy's comments on the lazy country club-like training camp the oil run.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe check on MackDavy's comments on the lazy country club-like training camp the oil run.
Last year’s training camp intensity (or lack thereof) and was squarely on coach WoodShaft who set the tempo with his choices of drills, timing etc., not the players who showed up to work. McD and others raised a concern with it, including touching on it in the media, which suggests they aren’t the problem. It’s in JWs court to correct. I assume it won’t be a problem this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Last year’s training camp intensity (or lack thereof) and was squarely on coach WoodShaft who set the tempo with his choices of drills, timing etc., not the players who showed up to work. McD and others raised a concern with it, including touching on it in the media, which suggests they aren’t the problem. It’s in JWs court to correct. I assume it won’t be a problem this year.
That's why I'm hoping any of the PTO's that are at camp are only actually playing if it's a split squad night or if they actually look like they might make the club.

Those last 2-3 pre-season games should be for the guys fighting for the last few spots as well as the main roster guys. Even if you need bodies to fill out rosters due to a back to back, give the guys who maybe aren't ready but guys who have a future the ice time.

We need to go into the season running as much as possible. Weren't we around .500 after a month last year? Get that better start and go for the division or presidents trophy

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That's why I'm hoping any of the PTO's that are at camp are only actually playing if it's a split squad night or if they actually look like they might make the club.

Those last 2-3 pre-season games should be for the guys fighting for the last few spots as well as the main roster guys. Even if you need bodies to fill out rosters due to a back to back, give the guys who maybe aren't ready but guys who have a future the ice time.

We need to go into the season running as much as possible. Weren't we around .500 after a month last year? Get that better start and go for the division or presidents trophy
Agreed. Bank points early and often. The season only gets tougher as you go.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Yeah, I got that they took a bubble wrap approach due to how much injuries killed them by the end of the playoffs, but that lackadaisical attitude definitely played a part in the team stumbling during the first half of the season.

Although it's was Woody's first TC as a head coach, so he does get a bit of a break, he was here in 17/18, which had the exact same lack-of-intensity issue coming off a solid playoff run, something that helped submarine that season. (and helped cost him his job as an assistant at the time).

Low key, it's one reason why I think replacing Kostin is a bigger need than a typical 4th liner. When I look at the roster, I don't see a lot of guys that can consistently generate a spark. If he'd come cheap, I'd actually have a lot of time for Austin Watson to round out the forwards.

Reactions: brentashton

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Don’t worry, you’ll know when he sees the news, there will be about 100 posts of the same thing while he tries to convince himself he’s the smartest poster on here

Tries? He’s convinced himself of that a long time ago. The 100 posts are to convince us that he’s the smartest poster on here.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Tries? He’s convinced himself of that a long time ago. The 100 posts are to convince us that he’s the smartest poster on here.
Tell us how you really feel…

he hasnt been around much of late, then again I dont know if he’s on my ignore list and I can’t be bothered to look…

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Ooof, it's a PTO on a guy coming back from long covid. If he gets 10 games at the NHL level I'd be shocked, and yet people are complaining about "underlying numbers" on a guy whos pretty much been a PK and 4th line own zone start faceoff guy most of his career.

This is what I hate about analytics. There is some 13th forward/injury callup value there if he still can get up to game fitness but since it's not easily quantified with the "approved" metrics so he's useless. Open your minds. Not every player on a roster has to "push the shot river" to fill a role, even a very small one.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Could be a really solid 4C if he is somehow in proper hockey shape after what happened to him. Seems low risk high reward, don’t mind moves like this

His underlying numbers have been sub-par on every team he's played for. Not interested.
He’s been forced to play way higher up the lineup than he should have been.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reading the mains it sounds like he is a very underwhelming player and sort of just there while also avoiding contact. If we offer him a contract hopefully that's not the case.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Reading the mains it sounds like he is a very underwhelming player and sort of just there while also avoiding contact. If we offer him a contract hopefully that's not the case.
You’re not dumb he gets offered a contract he deserves it

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You’re not dumb he gets offered a contract he deserves it
I would assume so, we cut Virtanen loose after a pretty underwhelming camp. Maybe being away from the game will give him an added fire that he may have lacked before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad