Confirmed with Link: Brandon Sutter signs PTO with Oilers

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
If Nick Bonino, Lars Eller and Derek Ryan are still in the league, Brandon Sutter has a chance too. I would say 50/50 he has an ok camp and gets signed for league min. Comes down to his conditioning.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I would have preferred Stastny or Toews, but Sutter does fit in well.

He's similar to Bjugstad, in that he's decent defensively, but not good enough to be a proper matchup C. And despite having some very nice tools, he lacks the toolbox to be a top 6 option. 2 years off also isn't going to help that, but still I could see him being a decent defensive 4th line centre.

I remember Pittsburgh back in the day trying both as #3C back and not getting the results they wanted. Hell another former Oiler in Sheahan also went down that path.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Interesting, but I'd be shocked if he gets a contract.

Averaged 22 games per season over the past 5 years. He's 34 years old, how much game can anyone possibly expect him to still have.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Interesting, but I'd be shocked if he gets a contract.

Averaged 22 games per season over the past 5 years. He's 34 years old, how much game can anyone possibly expect him to still have.
It depends on what his time off has been like. He does not have that wear and tear so maybe the age isnt as big a factor. Although he had a rough bout with covid by the sounds of it. But if he somehow kept his training up maybe he could squeeze a season or two out. He was always a good faceoff man. Maybe could be a poor man's Bjugstad

It's a sad state for Nolan Patrick that at his young age perhaps even Sutter is a better bet.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not really the C I would have liked. He isn't great defensively but maybe he can adapted his game . Would rather Patrick as he got some upside if he can over come his headaches

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
meh doesn't hurt...hasn't been in the league for 2 years but he'll get a few early exhibition games in to fill the "vet" quota though

can't see him sticking though

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good for him, the guy has been through a lot. It's a longshot but rooting for him to make the roster.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Yes, a yo
Vet minimum mandatory for preseason games with an outside chance of making the team.

And by team I mean Bakersfield. I don't see him as an Oiler next year.

Weren't you championing Virtanen last year? lol.
Yes I was. A young power forward who has played his entire career in one organization under a lot of hometown pressure, who had been playing in the league at that point.

Contrast to a guy who hasn’t put up a solid NHL season in a decade and who hasn’t touched NHL ice in how many years due to injuries? Why compare the two?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Maybe this year people will understand PTOs are a veteran body in camp and not act like they're being penciled onto the 1st line.

and also the NHL rules about having X number of NHL veterans for each preseason game. Having Sutter with the Oilers helps to lighten the preseason load for the rest of the group.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Vet minimum mandatory for preseason games with an outside chance of making the team.

And by team I mean Bakersfield. I don't see him as an Oiler next year.

Weren't you championing Virtanen last year? lol.
Need someone to play while the rest take some time at the Country Club.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Maybe this year people will understand PTOs are a veteran body in camp and not act like they're being penciled onto the 1st line.
no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Need someone to play while the rest take some time at the Country Club.
Country club? Weird choice of words.

I’ve never seen anything to suggest that the current Oiler club and org is a lackadaisical collection of non interested players. Rather, it’s been the opposite.

Would you rather they run elite NHLrs in all 8 games in the meaningless preseason? I prefer the more prudent asset management model, I guess.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Long Covid is no joke and it’s going to be difficult for him to adjust to the level of play in the NHL. I do think Sutter would be a decent vet addition for the farm though. We shall see how he does in training camp and I’ll be rooting for him :nod:

Reactions: Leo360 and ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad