Signing(s): Brandon Staley is the Chargers next head coach

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So NO ONE is going to hire Eric Bieniemy?

NFL definitely has a problem when it comes to coaches.
Sounds like Atlanta's original first choice but interviewed poorly. No idea if that is related to his history or whether its because they didn't like the staff he had lined up. It Will be interesting to see who Staley brings with him to run the offense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Who knows.

not every SC or OC is actually cut out to be a HC. Like not every high level employee should be a manager.

EB has gotten multiple interviews. Think he met with 5 teams already right. Now Jax, LA, NYJ, Atl have made their hires. Still have Det, Phil, Hou left. Still has a chance to be hired.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
1 month ago, Staley got clowned by Adam Gase of all people and now he is a HC. What a world.

I wonder if teams are scared of hiring Bienemy because ultimately Reid is calling the shots and the team is so outrageously stacked offensively.

Sep 19, 2008
Bienemy would be a fine head coach. They can keep passing on him. He'll just stay in KC and continue to flourish with Andy.

This Staley guy was just an OLB coach last year and rose very fast to the top of the coaching ladder. Was the rise too quick? We shall see.

Also nice he leaves LA to go to LA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bienemy would be a fine head coach. They can keep passing on him. He'll just stay in KC and continue to flourish with Andy.

This Staley guy was just an OLB coach last year and rose very fast to the top of the coaching ladder. Was the rise too quick? We shall see.

You never know when you are no longer the hot up and coming coach. Kris Richard rose to DC from the secondary coach in Seattle and interviewed for a HC job or two. Didn’t coach in the nfl this past season. No clue when his next DC shot will be.

Staley got a great young QB to work with. Now he’s got to bring in the right OC. The OC and DC I would assume each HC candidate has lined up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Rare on the defensive side, but Stefanski had like 18 months above QB or position coach. Tomlin only had 1 year as a DC. Those are on the extreme end (and comparable to Staley), but there's also a LaFleur with 2 years at OC (only two years as an OC, only one with playcalling). Flores who looks like one of the more promising young coaches never even rose to DC (although had playcalling). I'm not sure he's a competent coach but Zac Taylor was really inexperienced.

I think Bieniemy deserves a shot considering other Reid co-ordinators who didn't call plays all got big-time gigs with less success (Childress, Nagy, Pederson), but I do understand the hesitation of individual organizations.

But, it seems Staley was in the running vs Daboll, who really only has one year where you can look at the offence he coached and be impressed. I know last year when Cleveland interviewed him I viewed him as way below Saleh, Stefanski and McDaniels.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The guy with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey shockingly has a good defense this season. Then you give an HC job to that guy when he won't have two guys that good on his defense at any point in his tenure as a head coach. Bold plan.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The guy with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey shockingly has a good defense this season. Then you give an HC job to that guy when he won't have two guys that good on his defense at any point in his tenure as a head coach. Bold plan.
Chargers have good S guys as well. But Bosa has had injuries and James as well has missed half of his 3 years in the league. DE and a S that can cover TE or slot guys. They have talent but have a lot of injuries.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Must be nice not having to move lol.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

I think owners are hesitant on hiring a guy with three hall of famers on offense. And a hall of fame coach. And Reid calls most of the plays.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance.

I'm suggesting that is one explanation.

Look at McDaniels without Brady & Gronk.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
1 month ago, Staley got clowned by Adam Gase of all people and now he is a HC. What a world.

I wonder if teams are scared of hiring Bienemy because ultimately Reid is calling the shots and the team is so outrageously stacked offensively.
The Eagles pulled out Doug Pederson (back) and won a Super Bowl in year 2 (was almost fired year 1, a lot of people also don’t know/remember this) amongst what is very clearly a dysfunctional brain trust. Despite how it ended, that in itself should raise the profile of his tree, especially considering he’s about to go up against one of his ex-disciples.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Bosa, Ingram, and James are all upper tier elite players. If their defense stays healthy, which it probably won’t bc Chargers, it’s easily one of the most talented in the league.

this seems like an incredibly underwhelming hire given that the Chargers job is extremely desirable w Herbert at QB, though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bosa, Ingram, and James are all upper tier elite players. If their defense stays healthy, which it probably won’t bc Chargers, it’s easily one of the most talented in the league.

this seems like an incredibly underwhelming hire given that the Chargers job is extremely desirable w Herbert at QB, though.
Same division as Mahomes. Like going up against Rodgers, Brady, Manning in the same division in their primes.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006

Staley's success this season is so much more than him riding Donald and Ramsey's coattails. He's changing the game with a different philosophy from what we have seen in the NFL. Not only did he came up with a creative scheme and ideas, but he was able to teach this new system to his players in a year with a truncated offseason.

And he did all that in his first year as DC.

Sep 19, 2008
He is also a gym rat and works constantly in the office. That work ethic is appealing to those seeking head coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad