Salary Cap: Brandon Saad's Potential Contract Extension

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I would agree, and I like Smith a lot and hope he sticks around.

I'll also say that people are starting to argue too completely different things. Someone being perceived as overpaid and someone being easily replaced are two completely different things.

Exactly. Bickell is overpaid, no doubt. But we have NOBODY, not one single player in the system that can replace what he brings in the playoffs. Anyone arguing otherwise is out to lunch.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Exactly. Bickell is overpaid, no doubt. But we have NOBODY, not one single player in the system that can replace what he brings in the playoffs. Anyone arguing otherwise is out to lunch.

He had a disappointing regular season, and was also injured for part of it and maybe more that we don't know about it even when he came back. I'm not happy with it, but I'm also willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how next regular season goes, especially in light of him amping up his play yet again these playoffs.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
How do you watch round one (or any game for that matter) and believe Bickell is irreplaceable?

It's funny it seems some fans believe we should redesign the entire team around Bickell and his contract because that is basically the only recourse with that cap hit..

So we should dump Ben Smith, Versteeg and Oduya to keep the underachiever Bickell? Not to mention have limited cap space to extend Saad.

I've said before and I'll say it again - numerous players can do what Bickell does and they do it for half the cap hit. Bickell is not a unique player - he never was and he never will be.

Bickell needs to go.

BTW, we also need to sign a backup goalie to boot.

Name them. Hell, name one.

Blackhawks 1991

Apr 28, 2014
Bickell shows up for the playoffs. He was a crucial part in last years cup run and there's a good chance the Hawks wouldn't be in round 2 if it wasn't for his play vs St Louis. If he can keep us his 2013 playoff and round 1 performance throughout his current contract, then he is definitely worth 4m a year.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Bickell himself said on the radio that he could not play all season with playoff intensity and still bring that in the Playoffs. I prefer overpaid and average in the reg season if that's what it takes to have Bickell at his playoff level in the playoffs.

Sharp1024*

Bickell is a power forward. They are rare to get. It took us 4 years to come close to replacing Big Buff. Power forwards are not available in free agency, when they are you have to overpay them.

Their tough to bread yourself. So this idea.... that anyone can do it is ridiculous. Bickell had a tough year with injury. This idea that he is so replaceable is wrong.

poes law

Nov 11, 2013
Bickell is a power forward. They are rare to get. It took us 4 years to come close to replacing Big Buff. Power forwards are not available in free agency, when they are you have to overpay them.

Their tough to bread yourself. So this idea.... that anyone can do it is ridiculous. Bickell had a tough year with injury. This idea that he is so replaceable is wrong.

Look no further than Clarkson's contract to see what happens when a GM finds what they believe to be a power forward in UFA. There are even reports that the Oilers offered even more.

It's interesting how in the same fan-base, some say the Hawks are too soft to ever win anything, and others say Bickell is way overpaid considering we have so many power forwards to replace him with, and we have some saying both simultaneously.

Sharp1024*

Bickell 4 points in 4 games. Doing what Bickell should be doing. Sitting in front of the net!!!! Just like Dustin Buff. This is what we pay him to do.

Sharp1024*

He's not a UFA, so apples and oranges.

I'm guessing he signs a 2 year bridge contract at $2.75M, Leddy style.

I agree 100%. I think he signs a nice bridge contract. Than once one of the big pay guys fades out, he will replace their big contracts. He is young, can score, can do many things.

RomersWorld*

How do you watch round one (or any game for that matter) and believe Bickell is irreplaceable?

It's funny it seems some fans believe we should redesign the entire team around Bickell and his contract because that is basically the only recourse with that cap hit..

So we should dump Ben Smith, Versteeg and Oduya to keep the underachiever Bickell? Not to mention have limited cap space to extend Saad.

I've said before and I'll say it again - numerous players can do what Bickell does and they do it for half the cap hit. Bickell is not a unique player - he never was and he never will be.

Bickell needs to go.

Since the 2011 playoffs and on...

41 games, 17 goals, 11 assists, 28 points, +15, 176 hits
Pro-Rated: 82 games, 34 goals, 22 assists, 56 points, +30, 352 hits

Yeah, show me the guy who makes 2 mil a year and produces like that in the playoffs. You won't be able to so save yourself the embarrassment.

A guy who scores at a 30 goal pace, a 350 hit pace and is a 6'4 beast come playoff time is certainly not easily replaced. What a foolish post.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
not to mention that we know how hard it was to replace Buff... who got some hate during the RS all the time too

Sharp1024*

Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post

Bickell needs to go.

I generally disagree with Hawksfan's ENTIRE philosophy and his picture of the future blackhawks. I'm happy you are not GM.

BICKELL has a NO TRADE CLAUSE. We are stuck with him and I love it.

"Underperforming"? He was injured most of the year and put on the 3rd line during the regular season. You generally don't get much production on 3rd line. He is certainly performing in playoffs. If you can not see his impact on the ice during the playoffs and when he plays on top two lines, than we are watching two different games.

You just do not understand the value of a power forward. It's what we were missing between the two Stanley cups

Playoff Stats last two years
GP G A PTS +/-
30 13 9 22 12

What else do you want?

Bickell is MARKET VALUE for a power forward and his contributions. Maybe he is 1-2 million too much. But once the salary cap keeps increasing, it will be market value.

We pay our top 6-8 forwards and 9-12 forwards are minimum wage guys.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Bickell himself said on the radio that he could not play all season with playoff intensity and still bring that in the Playoffs. I prefer overpaid and average in the reg season if that's what it takes to have Bickell at his playoff level in the playoffs.

It's irritating to watch him suck during the regular season, but the Hawks have that luxury. Rarely will they ever be in a dogfight to make the playoffs. If Bickell can play like this in the POs over the next 2 years he'll be well worth the money to THIS team. Now if he were on a team that needs every player to play to their capabilities to MAKE the playoffs, it would be another story.

Iridium128

May 30, 2012
I don't like the Bickell contract more than any other hater, but damn does he deserve it. If he can play like crap through the regular season and bring it (like he is right now) in the playoffs, sign me up for more of him. Saad would get somewhere around the $2.5-$3.0m range for 2-3 years. And so he should.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I don't like the Bickell contract more than any other hater, but damn does he deserve it. If he can play like crap through the regular season and bring it (like he is right now) in the playoffs, sign me up for more of him. Saad would get somewhere around the $2.5-$3.0m range for 2-3 years. And so he should.

You dont like Bickel's contract? I like it even if the Hawks let him take a regular season vacation for next 3 years. Saad is going to get 4 Mill for 4 years, mark my words

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
you like it now, now while he beasts it up in the POs.

There are only a few that didn't have had a problem with this contract

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
you like it now, now while he beasts it up in the POs.

There are only a few that didn't have had a problem with this contract

The people who didn't have a problem with it were the same people who have a better memory than a fish and realized that Bickell was really signed for the playoffs.

Worth every penny as long as he brings this each spring, and Bickell has given every indication that he will.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You dont like Bickel's contract? I like it even if the Hawks let him take a regular season vacation for next 3 years. Saad is going to get 4 Mill for 4 years, mark my words

Yeah, to me, Saad is worth the same deal as BB. He's not a UFA though and is coming off his ELC. So I'd see how he feels about 6 or 7 years at 4M per. Give a little now, get a little later.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, to me, Saad is worth the same deal as BB. He's not a UFA though and is coming off his ELC. So I'd see how he feels about 6 or 7 years at 4M per. Give a little now, get a little later.

Ya I doubt he will sign it for that long unless they are giving him big bucks. He will get a 4 for around 4 to 4.5 or 2 yrs at 3-3.5. I am guessing he will be hitting the 60 pt mark next year so its gonna be tough to keep the cap hit down.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
RE: BB, I said it last playoffs before he signed and stand by it. 2M player in the regular season. 6M player in the playoffs. He got what he is worth. If you can just view him in the regular season as a 2M player, you won't be disappointed.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Id rather see Saad get a more intermediate bridge contract. Besides, Bickeel is 27, Saad is much younger. As much as I like Saad, I dont think hes taking over a playoff game like Bickell but regular season is far better.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
no way Saad makes under $3.5mil no matter the years. kid is barely 21 years old and looks like a veteran out there. how many players in the league would love to have his sophmore slump season??? almost made team USA and has been a top 6 player for much of the year on a loaded offense. his backchecking and defensive game makes him even more valuable. kid had a down year which is expected to happen in your soph season, but like I said he fought through it and has come out swinging in the playoffs. Saad is a gamer and our replacement for Hossa when he retires in 2-3 years. land this kid now Bowman asap before he sky rockets next year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'd give Saad a two-year extension at 3.3M per. If he continues to get better, as expected, and turns into a 25G/35A guy, I'd sign him to a long-term extension at around 5M per.. which, in 3 years, would be nothing.

2-year bridge contract at 3.3M this year (starting the following season).
5-year, 26M deal 2 years from now (5.2M caphit).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad