Recalled/Assigned: Brandon Kozun recalled on emergency basis.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
From the CBA

(i) A player on loan to a Club of any
league affiliated with the League may be recalled from such loan
under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the
emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to
the club from which he was recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be
established when the playing strength of the loaning Club, by
reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League
suspension to its players is reduced below the level of two (2)
goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof
of the existence of the emergency conditions including the
incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League
upon request made by him.

(b) (i) A Club recalling a Player from a minor
league club, under emergency conditions, must specify on the
transfer form the name of the injured, ill or suspended Player
whom the Player on emergency recall is replacing.

(ii) When an emergency condition
terminates, the Club must submit a transfer form indicating
whether the Player's status has converted to regular recall or
is assigned to his minor league club.

Looks like it has to be an injury.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago View translation
Phil Kessel and Nazem Kadri are absent from #leafs practice. Kadri is sick.

Turn off the alarms everyone. Kadri is just puking

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
..for the better part of the year.

Just kind of random to shut him down now. We have been playing meaningless hockey for a couple weeks now.

Nonis - Phil, we have a trade offer we are consi....

Phil - My wrist, My wrist I think it is broke.

buttman*

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m1 minute ago View translation
Phil Kessel and Nazem Kadri are absent from #leafs practice. Kadri is sick.

Turn off the alarms everyone. Kadri is just puking

Alarms? More like cheering at this point. Want as many unheathy bodies as possible for the tank.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
One thing I noticed is this new management group (looking more at Brandon Pridham) are taking advantage of these things that weren't taken advantage of in the past. Putting players in minors when at home, emergency recalls, etc. Now in the beginning of the season we saw it after almost every home game and road trip. Now I guess the cap space at the deadline is less of an issue (due to us not trading for anyone) so its not done as often.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I guess we only had 20 or 21 players still on the active roster before we called up Kozun? Then Kessel/Kadri were sick/injured so we had to call up Kozun to be within 20 players... If he's an emergency call-up, we'll probably have him back in the Marlies by the time we play our next game (although he deserves to be in the NHL, kid's a workhorse).

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Heard today that Kadri wasn't feeling well and Kessel taking a maintenance day. Maybe Kadri has the flu. Or a mega blockbuster trade coming. :)

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Best 5vs5 player on the Leafs.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...wards&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Stats prove it, it's a FACT, can not be disputed.
Kozun also has the worst corsi on the team for anyone with 50+ mins 5v5. :laugh:

Kozun is the primary example for why small sample sizes are misleading. Anyone can score 2 points in under 60 minutes of 5v5 play if they get a couple good bounces. The true test is whether they can keep that pace up over a larger sample size of ice time. There are about 20+ times more Corsi events than there are goals on average in the NHL. So Corsi is much, much, much more accurate than goals/points when it comes to evaluating small sample sizes.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I guess we only had 20 or 21 players still on the active roster before we called up Kozun? Then Kessel/Kadri were sick/injured so we had to call up Kozun to be within 20 players... If he's an emergency call-up, we'll probably have him back in the Marlies by the time we play our next game (although he deserves to be in the NHL, kid's a workhorse).

Or there was enough players but not enough forwards.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I believe emergency recalls also mean a player is waiver exempt and Kozun is not waiver exempt, which is why the Kings dealt him to us in the first place...

This would explain the timing as Kessel is down for a maintenance day so that dropped us below 20 players.

This is Nonis micro-managing the salary cap to the absolute highest degree possible, ensuring that players are on the cap the minimum allowable time. What kind of advantage this nets us? I haven't a clue.

Guess it's better that we're doing it than not doing it...

I think this is a form of cap circumvention though, but I don't think it makes enough of a difference over a full season for the NHL to crack down on it.

It's also circumvention of the waiver exemption rule, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad