Votes: 341 45.0%
  • Mitch Marner

Votes: 416 55.0%

• Total voters

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Too late to say I was wrong ? I've made countless "playoff performer" jokes about Brady but real shit, I'd trade Marner for him in a heartbeat right now. A big physical elite power forward. He, scores, hits, fights, is mean and not afraid to get in your face.

My apologies for my earlier comments Sens fans. While Marner is the more skilled player, the gap in terms of physicality/nastiness/grit whatever you wanna call it is absolutely massive.
I voted Marner as well, giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his massive skill

After him once again proving he’s an absolute p***y in the playoffs I have definitively changed my mind

Reactions: Sun God Nika

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I never voted in this poll but if had last year would have been wrong as well picking Marner. Brady has really upped his game this season and is the player you dream of for the playoffs. I really hope he gets into them next season would love to see him in a playoff game do his thing. Marner no slouch great player but has not shown enough when it's crunch time in playoffs.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think I will go with Brady. The size and grit along with his offensive ability is too much to pass up.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Too late to say I was wrong ? I've made countless "playoff performer" jokes about Brady but real shit, I'd trade Marner for him in a heartbeat right now. A big physical elite power forward. He, scores, hits, fights, is mean and not afraid to get in your face.

My apologies for my earlier comments Sens fans. While Marner is the more skilled player, the gap in terms of physicality/nastiness/grit whatever you wanna call it is absolutely massive.

Good on you for that but seriously, Marner is one of the best playmakers in the league. But while him and Matthews are ultra skilled, teams have studied how to shut them down and in the playoffs, you need to find new ways to score and be ready to leave your guts on the ice. That's Brady potential. He migt actually be the missing piece the other 2 guys need. Could you imagine this line?

Tkachuk - Matthews - Marner

I think it could be unstoppable. The thing about Tkachuk is not necessarily the power forward package but the fact that he is the ultra pest, but with more size than usual pests. He gets under people skin like crazy and then scores a big goal. Not fun to play against.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Brady + UFA like Bunting = ~135 points combined for ~$13.200
Marner + UFA like Engvall = ~135 points combined for ~$13.200

So whatever advantage Marner has offensively, is pretty much diluted once you factor in how much more he gets paid. I'd much rather test out Brady in the playoffs than move forward with a player as soft as Marner on an already soft Leafs team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I’m not picking the guy who has shown that he doesn’t show up for the playoffs when it matters
Yeah, Senators have made the playoffs so many times while Tkachuk has been on the team that this is perfectly relevant.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I’m not picking the guy who has shown that he doesn’t show up for the playoffs when it matters
How many playoff points does Brady have in his career? Maybe if he can actually get his team into the playoffs we can have a discussion

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
How many playoff points does Brady have in his career? Maybe if he can actually get his team into the playoffs we can have a discussion

Yet funny enough it seems like the majority of people today would still rightfully choose Brady - aka the giant mystery box - over Mitch "money" Marner in the playoffs.... even though he hasn't got there yet. Oops. Because anything in the box has a realistic chance of being better than dog poop.

It could still be dog poop in the box. But then again, it might not be. And chances are Bradys larger body will help us see him out there when the game isn't wide open. So why settle for dog poop if you might get a boat?

So what does this all say about poor Marner is the real question?

I'm thrilled the Leafs fans are married to Marner at the hip, that he's their boy, and that he's going nowhere. I hope he gets $11-12m × 8yrs and is untouchable for the org. Retire as a Leaf Mitch, please. Tavares too.

Fwiw, I didn't feel that same way about Gilmour, Roberts, Tucker, Sundin, ect or heck even Matthews now.....them being on the Leafs roster (and taking up an appropriate amount of their team cap) was not something I was happy about as a fan of the Sens. Get em out of Ontario asap please and thank you, is what you say about those guys....

And so it should be concerning for Leafs fans when Marner doesnt make opponets feel the same way... To take it even further hes being embraced by your opposing fans, and hes celebrated for being one of the faces of your team. Think about that Leafs fans, something ain't right with that.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Ah yes let’s go with criticize the player and he must be bad in the playoffs since he’s never been there line

You Leaf guys need new material

We don’t know how Brady will play in the playoffs but he’s certainly built to succeed

On the other hand we know how Marner is in the playoffs….it’s not good

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia

Respect if you’re not being sarcastic

Reactions: Bileur

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, Senators have made the playoffs so many times while Tkachuk has been on the team that this is perfectly relevant.
Right now, you are right - we don't know if Brady will be great, good, ok, bad, or awful in the playoffs.

We can say for sure, though, that Marner has yet to elevate his game beyond "ok" in a playoff run.

So no, it's not that people are claiming Tkachuk as some playoff beast - it's just that Marner has really sucked!
It could still be dog poop in the box. But then again, it might not be. And chances are Bradys larger body will help us see him out there when the game isn't wide open. So why settle for dog poop if you might get a boat?
You can give Marner (and a lot of other very good players) Brady's body, but most still wouldn't use it like him.

There will be real growing pains in the playoffs for Brady, imo - defensively in particular, I think this team in general could get absolutely demolished in the playoffs until they learn to really protect the middle - but when he settles in and gets comfortable, he will be an absolute handful.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Ah yes let’s go with criticize the player and he must be bad in the playoffs since he’s never been there line

You Leaf guys need new material

We don’t know how Brady will play in the playoffs but he’s certainly built to succeed

On the other hand we know how Marner is in the playoffs….it’s not good
Marner in the 2023 playoffs -

14pts 11games +8

Brady yet to make the dance. You can say all you want about how you think he will perform but till he gets there we have zero info one way or the other…

It’s rich saying leafs fans need new material when we hear the same old lazy leafs comments year after year

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Marner in the 2023 playoffs -

14pts 11games +8

Brady yet to make the dance. You can say all you want about how you think he will perform but till he gets there we have zero info one way or the other…

It’s rich saying leafs fans need new material when we hear the same old lazy leafs comments year after year

I’m glad you at least agree with me that it’s unfair to judge Brady simply because he hasn’t been in the dance. That’s an improvement over your earlier comment on him regarding that

With regards to Marner if you think I’m going to be impressed with his points I’m not. There is a lot more to evaluating a player and their impact other than points certainly more in the playoffs

And unfortunately Marner and Matthews folded like cheap tents when the going got tough for them once again. This isn’t a one time thing with these guys either. There is a history of multiple playoffs of this happening of them failing to show up when it matters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad