Player Discussion Brady Skjei

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
OK, if we're going to consider usage after the fact, we should include the Yandle trade as well. I disagree that they had 0 shot at the Cup, of course.

The Rangers were clearly not really a good team last season at all, and most of us saw that.

While this year's team may have some flaws, they are definitely better than last season, and at least have a SHOT to go deep. Didn't feel that way at all last season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The Rangers were clearly not really a good team last season at all, and most of us saw that.

While this year's team may have some flaws, they are definitely better than last season, and at least have a SHOT to go deep. Didn't feel that way at all last season.
I was team sell last season. But the way people reduce any small probabilty to zero is troubling to me.

We know now that the Rangers faced Pittsburgh in the first round and lost in five. What if they played Florida, Eric was in Minnesota form, Hayes lost 20 pounds the night before the playoffs and Girardi stays out?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
OK, if we're going to consider usage after the fact, we should include the Yandle trade as well. I disagree that they had 0 shot at the Cup, of course.

It's just an extra point against the decision. Either way, they gave up a huge haul for a rental which did not address a major need. I don't see how you can defend the Eric Staal trade. Even if properly used, he wasn't going to push the 15-16 team into contention.

The Yandle acquisition is emblematic of the Rangers' half-baked management strategy. It was an objectively good trade, but they did it with no apparent plan to keep him long-term. Marc Staal had already signed his disastrous extension by then.

I think it's fair to view the organization's succession of win-now moves through this lens. Acquiring Nash, St. Louis, and Yandle all made the Rangers better. Each of those trades look good by themselves. But they wound up serving as band-aids rather than putting us over the top because of prior mistakes. We needed Nash to move us into the conversation instead of making us the favorites because we passed on Tarasenko. We needed Yandle to cover up the void Stralman left instead of giving us a dominant blueline.

The St. Louis deal is a bit of a separate issue, but again, Tarasenko would've made him a luxury. And Sather should've been able to pull it off without giving up two first rounders regardless or at least made one of them contingent on a Cup.

The Rangers have only had two picks in the top 60 of the last four drafts. It's inexcusable to do that much damage to the pipeline and not have a single Cup to show for it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not ready to take Staal's minutes some said.

I think you are referring to me, but I said this months ago, so you are arguing an outdated point, which you've been known to do. I could go back and find something you said months ago that was true then, and laugh at how it seems now.

Staal was actually doing okay months ago, Skjei had some mid season struggles. Staal has dropped off more the last few months than any Ranger, Skjei has improved more than any other Ranger since. If there is someone who currently claims this, then thats my mistake for mistaking your post for what I said months ago, but I don't think thats the case.

You are better than that. Don't start dumpster diving.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I wasn't referring to you lol.

Staal was at no point this season ever doing okay. Skjei has been better than him since the second the season started. I could understand wanting to ease him into the minutes (which is perfectly reasonable), but it should have happened months ago.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree, but ELC year for Skjei, and I don`t know the coach policy if any concerning players with ELC contracts. Maybe the coaching staff see things we don`t, hard to explain..

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I agree, but ELC year for Skjei, and I don`t know the coach policy if any concerning players with ELC contracts. Maybe the coaching staff see things we don`t, hard to explain..

you mean a policy of being a terrible coach instead of utilizing his best players?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
you mean a policy of being a terrible coach instead of utilizing his best players?

We are not watching the players 24/7 including ice practices - maybe Skjei`s talent is much higher than the scout reports some years ago, and who knows what AV is using as sources to evaluate his players.
But I`m concerned about this coach for sure and some of his decision to bench Buch & Lindberg for instant unless they were injured in the last game.

It will probably be Glass in G3.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if it was mentioned on the broadcast, but with 2 goals last night, Skjei has now 4 which ties him with Ruotsalainen for most by a Rangers rookie D-man in the post-season

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Good move sitting this kid AV for that cone. Not like he looks dominant on the USA team or anything. Not like the announcers spent the whole intermission talking about how good he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad