Player Discussion Braden Schneider

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's blossoming into a very good all-around Top4dman with a ceiling to be more than that

The biggest improvement and strenght of his game is puck retrieval.

He used to just get it and bank it off glass into the neutral zone so many times. Now I trust him maybe even as much as Adam Fox turning his back and collecting the puck and making the right play and getting it up the ice. Almost always seems to make the right play out of the zone, can skate it himself or make a good pass.

2nd best dman on the team

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Several people were advocating getting rid of this kid. They must feel pretty dumb now. Patience is incredibly important with young defensemen.

But he’s just big and people think he’s good… smh
Sophomore slumps are actually a real phenomenon, especially for kids who have never played that much hockey In condensed 82gm season and playoffs before.
Bigger defensemen also take longer to mature. It just a fact…
Kaiden Guhle is having a similar path to Schneider right now. Some Habs fans want to trade him… if I’m sturdy, I’m all over that…..
Show of hands, who is still saying Nils is better??

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He is definitely not ready to replace Trouba’s minutes. This just shows the bias against Trouba. In the last 8 games the numbers for him/miller as a pair are absolutely horrible. Visually I’ve noticed numerous turnovers and bad decision making.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He is definitely not ready to replace Trouba’s minutes. This just shows the bias against Trouba. In the last 8 games the numbers for him/miller as a pair are absolutely horrible. Visually I’ve noticed numerous turnovers and bad decision making.

Part of that I think comes from not only the increase in their minutes but Schneider is also getting Trouba's matchups. He's seeing more of the better players. Judging off our last several games is a bit screwy anyway. When a team is playing 6 in 9 nights and heading towards 9 in 15 there are going to be some off nights for players here and there and the team on the whole. A playoff schedule is not even as rough as that. That we've been winning most of them is an accomplishment.

I do think the Trouba and Lindgren hate is a bit much and I seriously doubt the Rangers will even contemplate moving Trouba anywhere at least not until the summer before his contract year. The Rangers don't have a lot of in house ready replacements for D either. The same with Kreider. I know his 35 to 40 goals a year has gotten kind of boring for some people but hoping one of our kids will replace that kind of production (and kill penalties too) anytime soon is probably asking too much.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Several people were advocating getting rid of this kid. They must feel pretty dumb now. Patience is incredibly important with young defensemen.
Imo we should tread lightly with Robertson as well, imo he needs to get up with the club next year. When Schneider was in the AHL he looked average as well. Robertson has all the tools and WHL resume to go with it, need to give him some runway

I'd replace Trouba on that pairing, and I'd love to see a Jones and Trouba pair, one guy for the physical side and the other for skating and breakouts. Just run the three pairs then.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
So glad we traded up to steal him from the Devils

He’s really stepped up lately and he’s learning how to get out of trouble using his skating.

I think this is just the start for this kid.

22 and over 200 games
People someday will remember that Turk had faith in him and Schneider also played under Turk at the World Championships and won Gold and that was BEFORE he even played a regular season game with NY . Then he went on and played 2 seasons under Turk in NY and here we are .....I am some glad we kept him and it is nice to see a kid taking off right before our eyes . Him and Laf and to some degree Miller ...a huge sigh of relief .

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
As opposed to the Trouba numbers which for an extra $7 million per year are…..probably even or worse.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
As opposed to the Trouba numbers which for an extra $7 million per year are…..probably even or worse.

I think you can safely assume that Trouba's numbers on that pair are significantly better or I would not have bothered making the post.

Schneider has the 4th worst xG% of any defenseman in the league over these past 8 games (100+ mins) and we're just hearing about how great he's done. He's stepped into the role and he has not succeeded in it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think you can safely assume that Trouba's numbers on that pair are significantly better or I would not have bothered making the post.

Schneider has the 4th worst xG% of any defenseman in the league over these past 8 games (100+ mins) and we're just hearing about how great he's done. He's stepped into the role and he has not succeeded in it.

Are you looking for mistakes on the ice to support the analytics or do you honestly think hes looked like shit out there?

Because I think he's been developing nicely and had a very good game last night, on the road in Boston against the leagues "best" team.

Also, is xG% the best stat to be looking at? Schneider is developing his offensive, but he's really a stay at home type of Dman. I get that possession, accuracy of passing and giveaways can lead to that number, but how useful is that stat for defenseman?

If he has been that atrocious then why would the coaching staff (who also use advanced metrics and analytics) continue to put him out there in his current role?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Imo we should tread lightly with Robertson as well, imo he needs to get up with the club next year. When Schneider was in the AHL he looked average as well. Robertson has all the tools and WHL resume to go with it, need to give him some runway
The problem is that Robertson will be waiver eligible. He may get a 1-year deal and be given a chance to impress in camp, but I don't get the feeling that the Rangers will be worried about losing him the way they were with Jones or Hajek. Zero NHL games in 3 years as a pro, and when Lindgren got hurt, they called up Scanlin. That speaks volumes about where the Rangers think his game is.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad