Player Discussion Braden Schneider

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He had a great 1st preseason game and I highly doubt this is the last we will see of him this season. He was super physical and had great positioning, even made some good plays with the puck. I am impressed that all of his hits come from his great gap control and that he doesn't go out of his way to destroy people, I think that's what the new generation of tough physical d-men need to be like. I do think, however, this Bruins lineup was ripe for Schneider's style of play though and I want to see him against NHLers. To me, he looks like his draft profile to a "T".

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
He is 20, so he can play in the AHL if I'm not mistaken. I guarantee he will be the Rangers first call up.

Reactions: maris

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He is 20, so he can play in the AHL if I'm not mistaken. I guarantee he will be the Rangers first call up.

Correct. Anyone drafted prior to 2020 is automatically eligible for the AHL.

2020-draft picks only if they turn 20 by Dec 31st OR have completed 4 full major junior seasons. That means Schneider and Lafrenière are both AHL eligible this season.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Love the fact we traded up in front of the Debbies to draft this kid. Better righty Lindgren is my call.

He's on a perfect contract too. Three year ELC with AHL eligibility. He can get called up and go down, no issues.

As op says, we'll see him up with the team a couple of times this season. He should start in the A and get called up when the inevitable injuries strike.

Unfortunately I missed most of his first preseason game.

Reactions: LokiDog and Kords

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

first part is true

second part is gross speculation,

no harm if spends most this season in AHL,
no reason at all to rush him, unless injuries or moves gut the D depth chart

even if not til Jan'23, he will be here soon, and then likely no looking back

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
first part is true

FWIW:

Since 2006 only 7 defensemen from the WHL have played 40+ NHL games in their D+2 and 5 of those were top-10 picks.

The only ones outside the top-10 were Tyler Myers (12) and Brandon Carlo (37). Braden Schneider could defy the odds of course but how realistic is it really to expect him to make the jump and play the majority of games?

It is exciting to see proper competition for these spots rather than Jack Johnson, Matt Gilroy, Jeff Woywitka, Michael Kostka, Nick Holden etc.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Excellent player, basically what I've been saying since we drafted him is showing in NY now. The best part of him is he is so steady and reliable, making mistake free hockey that he kinda blends into the game because things just happen as they are supposed to.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He was great last night and was really a carry over of how he played in the prospects games. Nothing overly fancy, but he's got a knack of never allowing the opponent to play anything cleanly. Either you're gonna get a piece taken out of you and turn it over, or you're going to get a piece taken out of you trying to make a play. Like @Raspewtin said, he doesn't go around chasing people to hit them either.

Doesn't pop off the screen like Jones or Nils will at times aside from when he lands a massive hit, but everything you want a defensive defenseman to do, he does. I don't give 2 shits about his offense either, If he's Cernak, we've won the lottery. If he has offense (and hes flashed some ability here), then it's f***ing party time.

Don't think he'll start in the NHL and once the pace picks up I think he'll start to slag behind. I honestly wouldn't be at all upset if ALL of the young D start in the A, provided that there is some drop off for all of them as the competition gets harder.

Jones-Schneider Robertson-Nils is an insane top 4 at that level. In almost every single way, I feel like each defender is a perfect compliment to their partner.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
first part is true

How is the second pure speculation? Who would you call up before Schneider in terms of injury or player performance?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
How is the second pure speculation? Who would you call up before Schneider in terms of injury or player performance?

In all likelihood, Jones or Lundkvist is going down to start the year. I’d think either has equal/better chance of getting the call up. If Trouba gets injured, I could see the Schneider be the name since he’s probably the best defensive defender of the three.

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
Thought Schneider had a great game tonight quietly.

He made some great defensive plays and even stole a sure fire goal by Pasta by tying him up showing how strong he is on the stick as well as great defensive awareness.

he’s not flashy but he will be a great add especially on pk.

Or am I crazy?

Reactions: NYR425 and Cag29

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Thought Schneider had a great game tonight quietly.

He made some great defensive plays and even stole a sure fire goal by Pasta by tying him up showing how strong he is on the stick as well as great defensive awareness.

he’s not flashy but he will be a great add especially on pk.

Or am I crazy?

I think Schneider is going to be much better then most people think. I believe after watching him he has more offensive upside then he has been given credit for. Tonight in the third period he had one rush where he beat Marchant to the puck and then carried the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think Schneider is going to be much better then most people think. I believe after watching him he has more offensive upside then he has been given credit for. Tonight in the third period he had one rush where he beat Marchant to the puck and then carried the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone.

McDonagh 2.0?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah he did make a nice rush there late in the game. Last night he caused a really bad TO trying a rush, but he has shown a willingness to push for offense

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Think he plays much more physical then McDonagh but very good comparison. I would say a more physical version of Ryan McDonagh

I think he plays more like McDonagh's current partner.

He'll likely cut his teeth in the A for a full year. He's already more than strong enough to handle the physical load at the NHL level, but if you're hoping to tap into some offense he won't get that chance with the NHL club. PP minutes may be available to be had in Hartford and who knows, maybe that part of his game blossoms with more reps.

It doesn't need to though.

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
I think he plays more like McDonagh's current partner.

He'll likely cut his teeth in the A for a full year. He's already more than strong enough to handle the physical load at the NHL level, but if you're hoping to tap into some offense he won't get that chance with the NHL club. PP minutes may be available to be had in Hartford and who knows, maybe that part of his game blossoms with more reps.

It doesn't need to though.

With Adam Fox, Jones, and Nils we already have to many options at pp qb.

Excited for him to sure up the penalty kill. This isn’t a sexy player but on definitely needed.

As it stands right now our pk is likely going to be:

miller - Trouba (scares the shit out of me)

lindgren - Nemeth

Having Schneider play helps balance that. It won’t be a sexy offensive move but PK is a very important part of the game.

As is giving Fox the ability to rest after playing 5v5 and power play time

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Schneider is the best young dman at camp, not a slap at Jones and Lundkvist but they are more high risk and they get caught from time to time, meanwhile Schneider is over there playing mistake free hockey. He won't make the team, and that will be a management decision to keep contracts in line but he absolutely deserves it, 3rd best dman we have at camp now behind Fox and Lindgren.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Schneider is the best young dman at camp, not a slap at Jones and Lundkvist but they are more high risk and they get caught from time to time, meanwhile Schneider is over there playing mistake free hockey. He won't make the team, and that will be a management decision to keep contracts in line but he absolutely deserves it, 3rd best dman we have at camp now behind Fox and Lindgren.

He's certainly got my vote.
I'm just curious why he wasn't included in the poll thread.
He's far from out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad