Post-Game Talk: Boys in their flying machines @ Perds 7 pm CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Passed out after the early shitshow. Glad to see we managed to clinch after the early game clinching they made me do.

If someone has a nagging injury that can be healed by a game or two rest, let em rest otherwise i think it's best to try and keep players rolling in this system. Only 3 more games and itll determine if we face dallas or Van/Edm. Only preference is not edmonton but we havent had alot of luck against VAN this season but it has been a minute since we have played them

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’d definitely still pick Vancouver. They’ve stumbled down the stretch and while they’re a solid team I don’t think they’re that great of a team: Dallas has been incredibly hot recently, has playoff experience, and has the most complete roster of any of our three possible matchups. Edmonton always dominates us recently and has been pretty hot too.

Obviously the playoffs are unpredictable and sometimes the hot team fades out and the cold team catches fire but still I’d prefer the easier matchup on paper.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I think I counted 6 prime scoring chances for him just in this game.
That may be true but he tried to deek his way between 3 Jets and lost the puck in OT. I am not sure what Novak was doing as the Jets got the puck and he just stood there and skated around him. They scored and won.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Looks like he trys to do too many shake n bake moves and gets pummeled of the puck.
It's been my biggest complaint about his game, it's like he thinks everything has to be on a highlight reel. Now I think that has gotten a little better as the season has gone on but he definitely needs to work on taking what the game gives him rather than forcing it. Forsberg had a bit of that same issue when he started.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
It's been my biggest complaint about his game, it's like he thinks everything has to be on a highlight reel. Now I think that has gotten a little better as the season has gone on but he definitely needs to work on taking what the game gives him rather than forcing it. Forsberg had a bit of that same issue when he started.
When its around 1 player its ok, but trying to do it through 2-3 players... McDavid he is not.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Personally I've got no issue with Evangelista being overconfident with what he can do with the puck. He'll eventually learn what he can and can't do but I feel like if you want highly skilled players to develop you've got to be willing to live through the bad turnovers at times.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Personally I've got no issue with Evangelista being overconfident with what he can do with the puck. He'll eventually learn what he can and can't do but I feel like if you want highly skilled players to develop you've got to be willing to live through the bad turnovers at times.
I agree, except with the bad turnovers. He's not actually giving up bad turnovers, he's very smart with the puck in the "dangerous" areas of the ice and his retrievals and puck protection have been insane the last couple weeks.

The only time and place that he's been over stick handling and giving up the puck is in the slot trying to get to the "zone 1" area and make the goalie move side to side. I think this is also a bit over blown because it happened 3ish times in the last game and they stood out because he was one of the most active players with the puck on his stick.

The kid is flexing right now and it's honestly fun to watch. He could become a special player, and the type you let play through some struggles.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I agree but probably not 3 on 3 where it can lead to a breakout the other way. That was my only issue when he tried his moves. Pick and choose the right time will come with more playing time.
That might have been a bit of a mistake but people also complain about the "drop back into the neutral zone" play too.

He really was impressive during normal 5v5 play which is how OT is settled in the playoffs. I'm not going to sweat the one point.

Edit to add: His hands on the Peeper have been fun to watch. The way he's been able to corral bouncing pucks from rebounds and bad passes in tight under pressure really makes me excited for his potential.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, who'd have thought in October that we'd be sitting here going to the playoffs, certainly not with 3 games to go! Not me! I wouldn't have thought that a couple of months ago!

No pie for a loss but here's a really tasty pudding with whipped cream for the entire team.

Go Preds!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I agree, except with the bad turnovers. He's not actually giving up bad turnovers, he's very smart with the puck in the "dangerous" areas of the ice and his retrievals and puck protection have been insane the last couple weeks.

The only time and place that he's been over stick handling and giving up the puck is in the slot trying to get to the "zone 1" area and make the goalie move side to side. I think this is also a bit over blown because it happened 3ish times in the last game and they stood out because he was one of the most active players with the puck on his stick.

The kid is flexing right now and it's honestly fun to watch. He could become a special player, and the type you let play through some struggles.
I've been saying it all season so no its not a bit overblown. It's just something he needs to learn that sometimes the smart play is putting the puck on net and hoping he or another player picks up a rebound rather than trying to wiggle through multiple players to get in the middle of the ice.

People are willing to tolerate it right now because he is young, but its going to turn into a complaint pretty quickly if he doesn't learn that lesson.

That said I'd rather he be losing it in that area of the ice rather than out by the blue line like Fiala used to do.

Reactions: weeze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad