Confirmed with Link: Boyle to the Preds for 2019 2nd rounder

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Haha. Vern Fiddler bringing back more (and from the same team, no less) than PA Parenteau did (4th round pick vs 6th round pick) has made me believe that Johansson might bring back less than Boyle, even though logically it would seem Johansson would be worth more or at least the same.

You jest but there's some truth to that. Guys like Boyle with their intangibles and leadership are more valued on trade deadline day than one-dimensional playmaking wingers like MoJo. I think if we get a 2 for him it's because we gave up something else as well. Like MoJo and a 4 for a 2 or a low-level prospect plus MoJo, it's more likely it's a 3 at most tbh.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Probably be a # 56 to #62. I think there should've been a sweetner... even if it was just an AHL asset.

2 years ago the lightning got:

2017-02-27Lightning• Byron Froese
• 2017 second round pick (most favorable of Maple Leafs, Senators, Sharks) (#48-Alexander Volkov)
• Brian Boyletrade with Maple Leafs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

……

im happy with today's deal….it also gives him a chance with a top 4 team in the west……

…just hope for more when johansson gets moved

Reactions: Aethon

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You jest but there's some truth to that. Guys like Boyle with their intangibles and leadership are more valued on trade deadline day than one-dimensional playmaking wingers like MoJo. I think if we get a 2 for him it's because we gave up something else as well. Like MoJo and a 4 for a 2 or a low-level prospect plus MoJo, it's more likely it's a 3 at most tbh.
I actually agree with you. I was thinking the same thing you were. We might get back more for Boyle than Johansson, but I think we may still get a 2nd for Johansson. It all depends.

If he has one of those patented cold streaks with 2 points in 9 or 10 games before the deadline, it might be pretty underwhelming, but I'm holding out hope for a 2nd if he keeps his recent pace.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Good return...but I would be lying if I said I didn't want more.

I tend to agree with you (at least a sweetener, right?), but I do think taking the 2nd and running with it - far in advance of actual Deadline Day - is an incredibly shrewd move on Shero's part.

There is a metric ton of deadline rentals this year - Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Nyquist, Simmonds, Zuccarello, Hayes, etc. Some pretty serious names. I wonder if Shero figured that, as we move closer to the deadline, GMs would get distracted by the bigger fish. I mean, who wouldn't?

And not all of those big fish are going to get their respective anticipated returns. There is a finite number of contending teams looking to move their 1st for a rental. Panarin, Stone and Duchene will return one for sure... maybe Hayes, because he's a two-way center? That means the remaining rentals likely return quantity packages centered around a 2nd round pick. What would that mean for a character guy/role player type like Boyle? I think the market would dictate a 3rd at most, probably along with some other mid-to-low picks.

Shero named his price and got it. With a niche commodity like Boyle, very smart move on his part to get in and get out as fast as possible.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
2 years ago the lightning got:

2017-02-27Lightning• Byron Froese
• 2017 second round pick (most favorable of Maple Leafs, Senators, Sharks) (#48-Alexander Volkov)
• Brian Boyletrade with Maple Leafs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

……

im happy with today's deal….it also gives him a chance with a top 4 team in the west……

…just hope for more when johansson gets moved

The 2017 deadline was a dud. Only two 1st rounders were moved (Shattenkirk and Hanzal), and only four 2nd rounders were moved (Lazar, Boyle, Eaves, B. Smith).

The market this year has the potential to be much more saturated. It's obvious which rentals will land a 1st round pick, but the remaining group is entirely up for interpretation. There will be a handful of very good players that would normally be the cream of the deadline crop, that will return a package headlined by a 2nd round pick because of the saturated market.

If Shero waited around to get a sweetener on top of that 2nd round pick, I think he risked losing the 2nd round pick altogether.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I tend to agree with you (at least a sweetener, right?), but I do think taking the 2nd and running with it - far in advance of actual Deadline Day - is an incredibly shrewd move on Shero's part.

There is a metric ton of deadline rentals this year - Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Nyquist, Simmonds, Zuccarello, Hayes, etc. Some pretty serious names. I wonder if Shero figured that, as we move closer to the deadline, GMs would get distracted by the bigger fish. I mean, who wouldn't?

And not all of those big fish are going to get their respective anticipated returns. There is a finite number of contending teams looking to move their 1st for a rental. Panarin, Stone and Duchene will return one for sure... maybe Hayes, because he's a two-way center? That means the remaining rentals likely return quantity packages centered around a 2nd round pick. What would that mean for a character guy/role player type like Boyle? I think the market would dictate a 3rd at most, probably along with some other mid-to-low picks.

Shero named his price and got it. With a niche commodity like Boyle, very smart move on his part to get in and get out as fast as possible.

That's what it was about

Better than just striking while the iron is hot, is to be the one to get the fire going

I agree Shero wanted to help set the market for the other guys he wants to move out

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Haha. Vern Fiddler bringing back more (and from the same team, no less) than PA Parenteau did (4th round pick vs 6th round pick) has made me believe that Johansson might bring back less than Boyle, even though logically it would seem Johansson would be worth more or at least the same.
Here's a strange question... Is Boyle a better 4th liner than Johansson is a 2nd liner? I think he is so it wouldn't surprise me if MarJo fetches less.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
As much as we dump on MoJo it's not like his production has completely cratered and he's a detriment just being on the ice. Some GM will probably think that on their team he'll bounce back and will take a chance on him. I don't think we're getting what we spent on him back, but I could still see us getting a 2nd back.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Very happy with the 2nd round pick for Boyle.

I am also in the boat whereby I wouldn't want to bring him back during free agency. Although we are not an old team, I like to continually to push getting younger and faster.

Next season, I'll promote McLeod to replace Boyle on the 4th line and PK. Zacha can take Boyle's PP time.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
???-???-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Zacha-McLeod-Anderson

Seney to spend most of next season in AHL.

If we can get another 2nd round pick for MoJo. We can use the additional picks acquired and free agency to acquire a couple of 2nd liners. And/or use those picks to try and fix the defense.

What I want make sure of heading to next season, is to not have Zacha penciled in as our 2nd line center. I think he is a type of player that actually plays better when he is not relied on to score points.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Here's a strange question... Is Boyle a better 4th liner than Johansson is a 2nd liner? I think he is so it wouldn't surprise me if MarJo fetches less.
Boyle is an really good 4th liner.

Mojo over the last 2 years is a meh, and oft injured, 2nd liner.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
we should not be signing boyle next year IMO
Yeah I'm in this camp. Like I said earlier, liked him while he was here but it's time to move on. When he was initially signed the only legit centers we had were Zajac and Henrique. Now Nico and Coleman are both guys who are young and established and can play center. Boyle must be going on 34 if he isn't there already and he was never the fastest and he'll only get slower which isn't going to jive with the team going forward. Lets just take our 2nd and move on.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
MoJo is a really good player. He’s being heavily underrated. If he doesn’t bring back at least a second, I would just hold on to him and try to re-sign him.
Co-signing this. If Mojo doesn't bring back at least a second we should buy low on him. It's obvious that this team is not going to get better by subtracting depth. While we do have Boqvist waiting and possibly could fill that spot, he'll probably still be inconsistent being a rookie. I'd rather right this ship sooner rather than later so I say we keep him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
MoJo is a really good player. He’s being heavily underrated. If he doesn’t bring back at least a second, I would just hold on to him and try to re-sign him.
Before last season Shero purged the team of guys who were "not hard to play against", he also got rid of a bunch of the oft injured players.

If he were to go back to that line of thinking Mojo is gonzo.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As much as we dump on MoJo it's not like his production has completely cratered and he's a detriment just being on the ice. Some GM will probably think that on their team he'll bounce back and will take a chance on him. I don't think we're getting what we spent on him back, but I could still see us getting a 2nd back.
I think all we gave up for him was a 2nd.

Did we give up a 3rd also?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad