Confirmed with Link: Boyle to the Preds for 2019 2nd rounder

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’m not. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if other teams offered a 2nd as well and if Ray just called him and asked “hey boyler, we’d love to keep you here, and will gladly offer you a contract in the summer, but right now we’ve got some trade offers for you that we just can’t pass up. How’s a cup run in Nashville sound for you or would you prefer “insert xyz team here”?”.

Maybe not that exact scenario, but I did feel that Ray would do right by Boyle and trade him to a team with a good chance of winning the Cup.

Reactions: nugg and glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
**** me. I'm not on Instagram, so that's the first time I'm seeing that post of Boyle's barren locker. This sucks.

I'd give this ****er a raise to come back in July on a one-year deal. How does $3M sound, Mr. Boyle?
It seems sometimes when a pending UFA is traded , there's always people that think we'll bring him back the next year. I remember the same with Stempniak, who I never really saw us bringing back again.

I do think there is a possibility we bring Boyle back though. I wouldn't give it to 50%, probably a little less, but I think we could bring him back on a one year deal if he really wants to come back. He's one guy that I can see us actually re-signing next year. At least out of he, Johansson and Lovejoy if Lovejoy is traded.

I mean, I could see Lovejoy playing here again next year, but I don't think he will if we trade him. I definitely don't think we'd re-sign Johansson if he's shipped away, but I wouldn't rule it out that we re-sign him and don't trade him.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It seems sometimes when a pending UFA is traded , there's always people that think we'll bring him back the next year. I remember the same with Stempniak, who I never really saw us bringing back again.

I do think there is a possibility we bring Boyle back though. I wouldn't give it to 50%, probably a little less, but I think we could bring him back on a one year deal if he really wants to come back. He's one guy that I can see us actually re-signing next year. At least out of he, Johansson and Lovejoy if Lovejoy is traded.

I mean, I could see Lovejoy playing here again next year, but I don't think he will if we trade him. I definitely don't think we'd re-sign Johansson if he's shipped away, but I wouldn't rule it out that we re-sign him and don't trade him.

If Stempniak didn't get that extra year offered to him by Carolina, he would've stayed in New Jersey. There's no way of proving it, of course, but I do remember Shero being very explicit about wanting Stemp back.

It was certainly wise to be wary of that extra year. You don't even need the luxury of hindsight for that one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
we should not be signing boyle next year IMO
I'm split on it. He's at the age where he could fall apart any year now and he'll likely play longer than he's good for, unless he's closer to retirement than I think. I do think he has another 1-2 good years left in him (no way I'd sign him for 2 years though), but I wouldn't mind him back and I'd be okay if he also wasn't back. I do feel like he'll be back again one day, but maybe not in a playing role. I could see him working here one day as either a coach or a skills/special assignment coach, if he has any interest in working in that kind of capacity after his career is over.
If Stempniak didn't get that extra year offered to him by Carolina, he would've stayed in New Jersey. There's no way of proving it, of course, but I do remember Shero being very explicit about wanting Stemp back.

It was certainly wise to be wary of that extra year. You don't even need the luxury of hindsight for that one.
That could be true. I wanted him back also, but understood not bringing him back and definitely not for 2 years.

I was a little meh on the Boyle signing when it first happened, as I was afraid he would be used as the 3C and not in a limited 4th line role, but outside of the power play (which he did seem to be good at), he wasn't used in the way I feared he would be. So I'd much rather have him back than an in-house replacement or taking a gamble on the next Brian Gibbons, which is usually a losing bet.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'd do it just for morale. He loves it here, and the fans and his teammates love him back.

I don't see an issue with offering him a one-year deal with a slight raise in salary. It's extremely low risk, and we've seen the type of reward this guy can bring.

that’s all very nice and feely-good, but at some point we need to have guys graduate from binghamton and force lumbering dinosaurs like boyle out

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
that’s all very nice and feely-good, but at some point we need to have guys graduate from binghamton and force lumbering dinosaurs like boyle out
I don't think there's guys in Binghamton you'd want in that role. They either have a higher ceiling than how Boyle has been used or they're not good enough. Kevin Rooney is a glaring example of that. Blake Pietila is another. Neither of these guys are NHL caliber.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't think there's guys in Binghamton you'd want in that role. They either have a higher ceiling than how Boyle has been used or they're not good enough. Kevin Rooney is a glaring example of that. Blake Pietila is another. Neither of these guys are NHL caliber.

i would love mcleod starting the year as our 4C and working his way up. a long time ago, that’s how we used to do it. or if we sign a legitimate 2C in july (or if we’re lucky enough to draft hughes) we could have zacha/zajac as our bottom 6 C’s. that’s some serious depth there

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i would love mcleod starting the year as our 4C and working his way up. a long time ago, that’s how we used to do it. or if we sign a legitimate 2C in july (or if we’re lucky enough to draft hughes) we could have zacha/zajac as our bottom 6 C’s. that’s some serious depth there
McLeod good be a good option, but they may went him to play another year in the A or most of the year in the A, before bringing him up to be the 3C if Zacha improves offensively.

Zajac is still a VERY good 3C, but he's getting up there. I think if there's better options, he may be the 4C by the the last year of his deal, which is the year after next.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Camille the Eel

If his wife and family stay here - as I imagine - and don’t uproot mid winter to music city, I could very well imagine him wanting to return. That scenario would essentially be a 2d rounder for a spring rental.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If his wife and family stay here - as I imagine - and don’t uproot mid winter to music city, I could very well imagine him wanting to return. That scenario would essentially be a 2d rounder for a spring rental.
That's a very good point about if his family didn't uproot. If they stayed here and his kids are still in school up there(I forgot how old they were or if they're old enough to be in school yet), I could see him circling back on July 1st.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

McLeod would be better off in Bing in a top 6 role for his development then 4th line here.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
McLeod would be better off in Bing in a top 6 role for his development then 4th line here.

i think it’s enough already with this binghamton development shit. he deserves a legitimate look. and i said ‘starts the year’ as a 4C and hope he works his way up. if he doesn’t earn it or looks like shit, then send him back down i guess. a guy like brian boyle should have no impact on mcleod, that’s the point.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
His time was short with us, but I loved this guy during his time as a Devil. If he decides to come back in July, I welcome him with open arms.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably be a # 56 to #62. I think there should've been a sweetner... even if it was just an AHL asset.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Probably be a # 56 to #62. I think there should've been a sweeter... even if it was just an AHL asset.

The sweetener is that we got an extra draft pick that people can bitch and complain about for years to come

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils will 100% get a 2nd for MoJo.

You can take that to the bank and deposit it.

I don't have that kind of faith given how bad and injury plagued he's been the last couple years. I thought all along people would be surprised by the return for Boyle and Lovejoy and dissapointed in the MoJo return, so far I'm 1/1 with two to go.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't have that kind of faith given how bad and injury plagued he's been the last couple years. I thought all along people would be surprised by the return for Boyle and Lovejoy and dissapointed in the MoJo return, so far I'm 1/1 with two to go.
Haha. Vern Fiddler bringing back more (and from the same team, no less) than PA Parenteau did (4th round pick vs 6th round pick) has made me believe that Johansson might bring back less than Boyle, even though logically it would seem Johansson would be worth more or at least the same.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad