Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Avs fan here. What people forget is that Byram had a MONSTER Stanley Cup Playoff run in 2022. He was the best player on the ice for a handful of games. Guy deserves to be a top pair Dman somewhere but was logjammed here behind Makar/Toews. Guy can flat-out play.

Middlestadt has been a revelation so far and was perfect for what the Avs needed. One of the rare trades that works out for both sides.

Sabers have become my second favorite team and will be fun to watch for a while.

I don't think any of us have forgotten he had a great Cup final in 2022. We've been pleased with the injection of life he's given to the team as well, even if they did already have a couple very good LH PMD's.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Now, if he ever sees that stadium rockin'in the playoffs- he'll really be in for a treat. The energy would be unreal given how hungry the fanbase is for a playoff team.

Also, was it Byram that cross checked that Isles player to the ice for getting too close to UPL resulting in a nice scrum in which Girgs came flying in like a kamikaze?
yes, was glad to see someone do it

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Byrum has to be the next captain, there is no choice…He’s outplaying our coaching staff
Naw, I don't want one of Dahlin, Byram or Power to be captain over the other two. Insofar as playing the game the right way of the forwards, I vote Benson for the C, (half jokingly).

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Naw, I don't want one of Dahlin, Byram or Power to be captain over the other two. Insofar as playing the game the right way of the forwards, I vote Benson for the C, (half jokingly).
My captain argument is a bit sarcastic. This kid is so well coached and plays so positionally sound it amplifies the fact that our coaches are absolutely atrocious.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
My captain argument is a bit sarcastic. This kid is so well coached and plays so positionally sound it amplifies the fact that our coaches are absolutely atrocious.
Was...was well coached. He is now being coached by Meatballs and Co.:golfnana:

• Wow
Reactions: MeenOlViks

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I don't think any of us have forgotten he had a great Cup final in 2022. We've been pleased with the injection of life he's given to the team as well, even if they did already have a couple very good LH PMD's.
He looks more like a two-way beast to me who is also a treat to watch offensively. I wasnt happy with the trade at first, but I was always intrigued by Byram's potential. I'm even more intrigued by him now.

22 is just so young, especially for a defenseman. I'm drooling thinking of what he can become in 5 years from now. The sky truly is the limit. And, if we ever make the playoffs- he seems like a good bet to step his game up.

Props to Adams for possibly finding a great player who was being held back due to being in a great team.

Reactions: jabubenice

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Bowen Byram, Buffalo Sabres

Going back to Buffalo in the Mittelstadt trade was Bowen Byram, who made an instant impact with his new team. The defender kicked off his Sabres tenure with a two-point game against the Nashville Predators before scoring another pair of goals two games later against Detroit.

But it hasn’t all been smooth sailing, and last Thursday’s performance against the Edmonton Oilers was a prime example. In Byram’s five-on-five minutes, Buffalo was out-attempted 27-17 and outchanced 19-6. There is a huge gap in star power between the Oilers and Sabres, but take his play against Detroit in a crucial game a few days prior. The Red Wings had a 19-12 edge in shot attempts and 8-4 in scoring chances with Byram deployed.

Through nine games, the Sabres have outscored opponents 11-10 with Byram on the ice, but have fallen below break-even in expected goals.

It’s not that the Byram addition won’t work out. Some of the underlying numbers are just a reality check that pairs with the flash and scoring he brought off the bat. This deal hinges more on his potential in the long run versus what he brings right now, and it likely will take a minute for Byram to adjust to this new top-pair role and his new team. The Sabres have seen glimpses of that potential — from how well his breakout ability pairs with Dahlin’s puck retrievals to the movement he adds to a stagnant power play.

Last Sunday, Byram showed how much he can help his team tilt the ice as well, helping the Sabres earn 14 scoring chances over the Flames while conceding only four. He thrived against the Red Wings in his third game with the Sabres, too.

The key will be finding a more consistent level. When Byram does that, the hype around Buffalo’s young, skilled blue line will amp up.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
His minutes are being reduced so Granato must be realizing he isn’t the minute muncher he hoped he was
Not yet at least dahlin is an endurance beast but Byram plays a more explosive style constant movement very bursty gonna have to pick and choose his spots if he wants to be top pair with dahlin and add some steadiness to his play style

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad