Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I admit that I didn't really imagine him on PP1 with Dahlin, but not playing the point. I think it's a great look. How many teams run 2D on the power play any more -- especially with an umbrella formation. TBH, he might add more dynamics to the PP than Casey did, and he's got a good shot. The puck movement on today's only power play was just about their best of the year.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
PDOCast from yesterday has a lot of good stuff on Byram. A lot from his perspective with how playing the offside has gone to wanting an opportunity to move up a lineup to finding ways to contribute stuck on the third pair with Jack Johnson. Some good stuff in there.
Dimitri explains hockey better than anyone on earth, love listening to that guy talk. He has such a uniquely concise way of explaining things. I know that’s kind of off topic but I never miss an opportunity to pump his tires lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dimitri explains hockey better than anyone on earth, love listening to that guy talk. He has such a uniquely concise way of explaining things. I know that’s kind of off topic but I never miss an opportunity to pump his tires lol

I enjoy his goaltending guests - lots of interesting insight on things like the improvement teams generally have made in limiting damage to guys in the Thompson/Ovechkin/Stamkos shooting spot across the whole league.

Reactions: Royal Thunder

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Byram is gonna be a stud.. Might not have the offensive upside as Ras and OP but he's better defensively
Oh I think he has the offensive upside, just gotta let him go and play on his toes.

Hope the Sabres finish strong here. Plus with the way UPL has come on too and with all the prospects you gotta be excited being a Sabre fan.

Edit : personally I'm excited for the next game. T

Reactions: Dingo44

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Can someone actually break down what should be happening? This clip has circulated with this general message, but I haven't seen a real clear breakdown. Not to say it isn't correct, I couldnt tell you anything about PP tactics, but idk if I'm totally buying that Byram is just galaxy braining here while everyone else is incompetent.

0:10 First time he and Greenway are on top of each other, where should JG go, or is he fine to take some of the same space net front?

0:14 Is Okposo supposed to leak down while BB stays high here?

0:26 He gestures for Dahlin to pass across, but the pred is between Dahlin and Okposo and has a breakaway if it's intercepted. If Dahlin sends it to open ice further up, KO will get it on his backhand, with his back to the net. So was this the right read, and RD missed it? Should KO have gotten back to the point quicker?

0:33 Second time he and JG occupy the same space. Greenway is there first, Kyle also joins. Is Greenway supposed to skate away from the net front? If so, where? Should Kyle not have come down?

Are there additional instances in this clip of him directing other players that I missed?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Can someone actually break down what should be happening? This clip has circulated with this general message, but I haven't seen a real clear breakdown. Not to say it isn't correct, I couldnt tell you anything about PP tactics, but idk if I'm totally buying that Byram is just galaxy braining here while everyone else is incompetent.

0:10 First time he and Greenway are on top of each other, where should JG go, or is he fine to take some of the same space net front?

0:26 He gestures for Dahlin to pass across, but the pred is between Dahlin and Okposo and has a breakaway if it's intercepted. If Dahlin sends it to open ice further up, KO will get it on his backhand, with his back to the net. So was this the right read, and RD missed it? Should KO have gotten back to the point quicker?

0:33 Second time he and JG occupy the same space. Greenway is there first, Kyle also joins. Is Greenway supposed to skate away from the net front? If so, where? Should Kyle not have come down?

Are there additional instances in this clip of him directing other players that I missed?

Yeah people are straining to read a lot into a guy who jumped into a game before practicing with his new team running into his own guys. The only meaningful takeaway you could pull from this is that Colorado's good PP is obviously coached much differently than our shitty one, but I don't think we needed to see Byram trying to do the Av's PP as a Sabre to know that?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

It’s typical Sabres twitter with a hot take instead of an intelligent one.

He was basically running around like a chicken with its head cut off. A few times he was right on top of his teammates. But since he pointed somewhere, Sabres twitter thinks he’s Toe Blake.

In fairness to Byrum, he appeared to be used as the bumper. Something a forward usually plays and he’s probably never done at the NHL level. So he was a little confused as to where to be. Plus he hardly played on the Avs PP, so he was likely very excited for a chance on PP1.

For all this coaching staff’s flaws, it was pretty clever to use Byrum how they did on the PP. Once he gets dialed, in he should be pretty damn effective there.

Reactions: jc17 and dire wolf

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
In fairness to Byrum, he appeared to be used as the bumper. Something a forward usually plays and he’s probably never done at the NHL level. So he was a little confused as to where to be. Plus he hardly played on the Avs PP, so he was likely very excited for a chance on PP1.
Okay you’ve done it enough so I’m pointing it out. It’s Byram, not Byrum. At least spell the kid’s name right.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Adams put it on the line with this one. I still had a shred of faith in the dude, it’s 3 games but goddamn. I see what he saw, now, obviously.

It’s early, but we maybe went from “hey idk what to do with all these centers” to “hey, I made the defense, like, a lot better. With a guy who appreciates the chance. Welcome!”

Idk man, I’m hopeful again. Thanks Bowser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad