Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Leafs have much MUCH more depth than the Oilers do so they can afford to deal one of their skilled forwards and still have a wealth of depth. If they want to add a #1 Dman, they have the pieces to acquire one, the Oilers don't.

No, I'm not "cool" with the Oilers not winning a Cup. I'm just saying that them acquiring a #1 Dman is pure fantasy stuff. I'd be shocked if Doughty doesn't re-sign with the Kings, OEL will likely be re-signed by the Coyotes or dealt out of division. I suppose that McDonagh is a possibility but I expect him to be re-signed as well unless there's a package that the Rangers can't refuse and again, the Oilers don't have the pieces to get that done.

Klefbom and Larsson are their guys going forward similar to the Canes with Slavin and Pesce and the Jackets with Jones and Werenski. Those will be their top guys going forward. Unfortunately, the Oilers top guys aren't nearly as good as those other teams but who knows, they are still young enough to improve.
So their core players are Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev and Fredersen. The expendable pieces for a #1D are JVR, Bozak, Kapanen, 1st, Liljegren
Not much different from the Oilers. RNH, Pulju, 1st, Benson, Jones, Bear.
With reports of Matthews getting more than McDavid and Nylander and Marner getting 8M each. I don't think they have room for a #1D

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Leafs have much MUCH more depth than the Oilers do so they can afford to deal one of their skilled forwards and still have a wealth of depth. If they want to add a #1 Dman, they have the pieces to acquire one, the Oilers don't.

No, I'm not "cool" with the Oilers not winning a Cup. I'm just saying that them acquiring a #1 Dman is pure fantasy stuff. I'd be shocked if Doughty doesn't re-sign with the Kings, OEL will likely be re-signed by the Coyotes or dealt out of division. I suppose that McDonagh is a possibility but I expect him to be re-signed as well unless there's a package that the Rangers can't refuse and again, the Oilers don't have the pieces to get that done.

Klefbom and Larsson are their guys going forward similar to the Canes with Slavin and Pesce and the Jackets with Jones and Werenski. Those will be their top guys going forward. Unfortunately, the Oilers top guys aren't nearly as good as those other teams but who knows, they are still young enough to improve.
People laugh at me for it but I would honestly take Slavin, Pesce and Faulk over any of our defensemen.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So their core players are Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev and Fredersen. The expendable pieces for a #1D are JVR, Bozak, Kapanen, 1st, Liljegren
With reports of Matthews getting more than McDavid and Nylander and Marner getting 8M each. I don't think they have room for a #1D
Unless they make Drai a permanent C you can't really trade RNH.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They can afford to move one of Nylander and Marner and be fine.
f*** look at their right wing right now

Nylander, Marner, Komorov, Brown, Leivo. If Draisaitl is a center on his own line any one of those players would be our best right winger.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I am so unimaginably defeated right now. I hate to be pessimistic at only 5 games in, but it is so difficult to not have instant flashbacks to the decade of darkness. All I can think is ... Here we go again.

It sickens me. I was finally feeling pride for my team whom I have devotedly cheered for since adolescence. Now I feel myself sinking back into despair. To all the people who have trashed my team, I was finally able to stand up and say "we finally have it". Now I am back to listening to their criticisms and insults without the ability to rebuttal. Bring it on Toronto fans, Calgary fans, Vancouver fans, NHL fans. I feel broken. It seems Oiler fans were created only to suffer.

Reactions: The Moose

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So we don't want to trade for a #1D because RNH is important to the team? lol
That coupled with our literal non existant cap space next year we can't.

Only way we can afford a #1 d is if we move both RNH and one of Larsson or Klefbom out.
Thats what we get for having our second pairing from having a NMC for the next few years.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Well, none of those expendable pieces that you listed get you even remotely in the conversation for a #1D. Also, you missed Gardiner in their core, he's probably their best Dman right now.

My point is that the Leafs can put together a package of Nylander or Marner + and still have enough depth to compensate. If the Oilers dealt Draisaitl, YIKES.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, none of those expendable pieces that you listed get you even remotely in the conversation for a #1D. Also, you missed Gardiner in their core, he's probably their best Dman right now.

My point is that the Leafs can put together a package of Nylander or Marner + and still have enough depth to compensate. If the Oilers dealt Draisaitl, YIKES.
Agreed entirely. Look at their lineup last night that beat Washington

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Fehr - Marner

Move Marner and Brown + some picks for a #1 d and that team still have a better forward core than us and their right wing is STILL deeper.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

What do you think is the cost for a #1D with 1.5 years left? Nylander alone is enough to pry a #1D but not Pulju+RNH plus?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What do you think is the cost for a #1D with 1.5 years left? Nylander alone is enough to pry a #1D but not Pulju+RNH plus?

Well, it would be Nylander plus but yeah, Nylander as a centerpiece is more valuable than that package, he has Draisaitl value IMO. If you're dealing a #1 Dman, you want an elite young player in return or at least an equivalent D.

I can't see Pulju+RNH being of much interest tbh, maybe for McDonagh but I still don't see it and quite frankly, I wouldn't want to give that much up for an American Dman who might very well walk after his contract is up. Forget Doughty and OEL, not happening no chance forgetaboutit.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The point is, if we move Pulju, RNH our teams depth goes to even more shit.
They move Nylander, they don't even skip a f***ing beat.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That coupled with our literal non existant cap space next year we can't.

Only way we can afford a #1 d is if we move both RNH and one of Larsson or Klefbom out.
Thats what we get for having our second pairing from having a NMC for the next few years.
You move RNH, Gryba, Benning and don't extend Maroon. That's enough for someone like OEL/McDonagh. It's doable

Slepy(2)-McDavid(12.5)-Yam(1)
Lucic(6)-Drai(8.5)-Kassian(1.5)
Caggiula(1)-UFA(3.5)-Strome(2.5)
Khaira(1.5)-Letestu(2)-Pak(1.5)

Klef(4)-Larsson(4)
Sekera(5.5)-OEL/McDonagh(6.5)
Nurse(3)-Russell(4)

Talbot(4.5)
Backup(1)

That's 76M next year

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The point is, if we move Pulju, RNH our teams depth goes to even more ****.
They move Nylander, they don't even skip a ****ing beat.
Our depth at forward is already crap. Why not try to improve the defense? A #1D will replace RNH and more.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well, it would be Nylander plus but yeah, Nylander as a centerpiece is more valuable than that package, he has Draisaitl value IMO. If you're dealing a #1 Dman, you want an elite young player in return or at least an equivalent D.

I can't see Pulju+RNH being of much interest tbh, maybe for McDonagh but I still don't see it and quite frankly, I wouldn't want to give that much up for an American Dman who might very well walk after his contract is up. Forget Doughty and OEL, not happening no chance forgetaboutit.
Where would McDonagh go after his contract is up? Dude wants to win and how many American contending teams can afford 8.5M+?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Where would McDonagh go after his contract is up? Dude wants to win and how many American contending teams can afford 8.5M+?

How are the Oilers going to be able to afford 8.5M+? I suppose they could deal Sekera but NMC and all that could complicate that.
I'm just saying there's the very real possibility that he walks in 1.5 years and you're stuck with no McDonagh, RNH and Puljujarvi and a world of hurt.
Acquiring a #1 just isn't realistic. Hopefully, we see upgrades on the 2nd pairing in a year or two.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You move RNH, Gryba, Benning and don't extend Maroon. That's enough for someone like OEL/McDonagh. It's doable

Caggiula(1)-UFA(3.5)-Strome(2.5)

Klef(4)-Larsson(4)
Sekera(5.5)-OEL/McDonagh(6.5)
Nurse(3)-Russell(4)

Talbot(4.5)
Backup(1)

That's 76M next year
You have forgotten the extra forwards, extra defense and Pouliots buy out. Thats an extra 1.3 for the buyout and at bare minumum 2.1 mill for the other 3 playesr which pushes you up just past 78 mill. The cap would have to raise 3 mill to do that.

Also thats banking on Strome not taking a pay raise (contract is up we HAVE to offer him more) Cagguila only signing for 1 mill as well?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How are the Oilers going to be able to afford 8.5M+? I suppose they could deal Sekera but NMC and all that could complicate that.
I'm just saying there's the very real possibility that he walks in 1.5 years and you're stuck with no McDonagh, RNH and Puljujarvi and a world of hurt.
Acquiring a #1 just isn't realistic. Hopefully, we see upgrades on the 2nd pairing in a year or two.
Trade Russell when his NMC is up
Caggiula(1.5)-UFA(3.5)-Strome(2.5)

Nurse(3)-OEL/McDonagh(8.5)
Klef(4)-Larsson(4)
Sekera(5.5)-Jones(1)

Talbot(6)
Backup(1)

That's 77M

I do see Lucic getting bought out in the next couple of years when the new CBA is in. Sekera gets traded in 3 years. I mean it's tight but it's doable

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Trade Russell when his NMC is up
Caggiula(1.5)-UFA(3.5)-Strome(2.5)

Nurse(3)-OEL/McDonagh(8.5)
Klef(4)-Larsson(4)
Sekera(5.5)-Jones(1)

Talbot(6)
Backup(1)

That's 77M

I do see Lucic getting bought out in the next couple of years when the new CBA is in. Sekera gets traded in 3 years. I mean it's tight but it's doable
Also go look at the UFA center list. Which one is a good 3c that we can sign for only 3.5?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not necessarily but you suddenly go from three scoring centers to 1. If Draisatl becomes a capable 2C that can drive his own line RNH becomes a lot more expendable.
Actually 2 scoring line ups
Slepy-McDavid-Yam
McDonagh-Larsson

Lucic-Drai-Kassian
Klef-Sekera

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Actually 2 scoring line ups
Slepy-McDavid-Yam
McDonagh-Larsson

Lucic-Drai-Kassian
Klef-Sekera
Thats banking on both Slepyshev and Kassian becoming anything more than 4th liners.
I mean, you are putting 2 4th liners, 3rd liners on good days into your top 6 on purpose and calling it good cause it means we can add another defencemen. Oh and we will be dead tight to the cap.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really like the idea of sticking McDavid with bottom 6ers and rookies. But with Maroon in a slump and no top 6 RW there's not many options.
You're focusing too much on Slepy and not that fact that McDonagh is also on that starting line up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad