Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Except that I'm not, I AM exceptionally pissed off about it though, as it was completely obvious in the off-season but Chia was either to stubborn, or stupid, to realize it.
No, you're excited about being able to be so angry about it. You view the team in a extremely negative light, so what seems "obvious" to you, likely isn't "obvious" who someone who doesn't the team as "tantamount to a failure that got lucky last year"

You're excited, because now you're negativity and angry gets to be "right", even though that's not point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No, you're excited about being able to be so angry about it. You view the team in a extremely negative light, so what seems "obvious" to you, likely isn't "obvious" who someone who doesn't the team as "tantamount to a failure that got lucky last year"

You're excited, because now you're negativity and angry gets to be "right", even though that's not point.
Come on man. I'd rather be wrong and have the team winning than be right and be subjected to another decade of darkness.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Klef does need to be better but I think he gets overrated here and I'm a big fan of his. He's a #3 who plays top pairing but gets eaten alive and gets puts on the secondary pairing when his confidence is low. Larsson is what he is, a great shut down D who's arguably a #2. This team with Sekera is a playoffs but I don't think it's enough to win championships. We still need a #1D and we have to pieces for it

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Nashville Predators went 2-5-1 to start last season and the Anaheim Ducks stumbled out of the gate, with a 1-3-1 record.

Look where those two clubs finished.

And here we are.. Five games in and throwing in the towel.

Pathetic .
To be fair this is one of our worst ever season starts.
If we do not at least make OT against Chicago...it'll be our worst start since 95-96 where we did not make playoffs.

There is also the unofficial rule. 5 points out of playoffs at American Thanksgiving? Your playoff chances are basically 0.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Klef does need to be better but I think he gets overrated here and I'm a big fan of his. He's a #3 who plays top pairing but gets eaten alive and gets puts on the secondary pairing when his confidence is low. Larsson is what he is, a great shut down D who's arguably a #2. This team with Sekera is a playoffs but I don't think it's enough to win championships. We still need a #1D and we have to pieces for it
Do we really though? We have a 1st and a few prospects but nothing blue chip...

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Come on man. I'd rather be wrong and have the team winning than be right and be subjected to another decade of darkness.
people like you and jadedog are too scared to be positive because being negative is comfortable...

it feels good when you're proven right when the team struggles, and it feels equally good when you're proven wrong and the team is playing great

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
people like you and jadedog are too scared to be positive because being negative is comfortable...

it feels good when you're proven right when the team struggles, and it feels equally good when you're proven wrong and the team is playing great
Yes it absolutely feels amazing to be in 30th place and right about my concerns. Oh man.

If there's something to be positive about right now I'd love to hear it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Do we really though? We have a 1st and a few prospects but nothing blue chip...
OEL, Doughty, McDonagh only has 2 years left under their contract. Pulju+1st gets the conversation. I'd gladly pay this to solidify our defense and then fix the secondary scoring. But any one of these D is a huge boost to our secondary scoring.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Like who? Most teams don't have the expendable pieces to get a #1. I'd say Toronto is probably the lone exception with Nylander or Marner ++.

You get a #1 by drafting one because you're not getting one in a trade unless you are trading a similar level player and you're certainly not signing one in free agency, Suter was the lone exception.

Like it or not, the D core is going to be Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. These are going to be the guys who will carry the load going forward.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Like who? Most teams don't have the expendable pieces to get a #1. I'd say Toronto is probably the lone exception with Nylander or Marner ++.

You get a #1 by drafting one because you're not getting one in a trade unless you are trading a similar level player and you're certainly not signing one in free agency, Suter was the lone exception.

Like it or not, the D core is going to be Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. These are going to be the guys who will carry the load going forward.
So you're cool with not winning a cup? I look at that defense and say that's not good enough

Nylander and Marner are not expendable pieces either just like how Drai is not expendable. lol The Leafs will tell you this

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
it does and you know it...you enjoy being in your comfort zone of negativity

fancy stats are looking great
They do look great, but I take them with a grain of salt with how we have been behind for the majority of games.

Like last night we were behind for what...59 min and 40 seconds?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Totally not the case. I don't care about being right to you folk, lol. You are a bunch of strangers that (no offence meant here) don't mean anything to me at all. I DO care about the team though, and I DO get pissy when they are playing like crap. Who cares about being right on the internet? This is just somewhere to talk/bitch/celebrate the team, for good or ill.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Part of the reason the fancy stats look great is because the Oilers are constantly playing catchup.

Yes and the other part of it is that the Oilers have been controlling the play for the most part. They've been making absolutely braindead mistakes, I agree with you there. But hopefully it will normalize.

They still have a chance to break out of this by November. Win a couple in a row and they're alright.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

lol, I love when strangers on the net tell me ALL about myself. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head, I *love* when my favorite team in the entire world is terrible. Yes, that is the truth. You are right.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Totally not the case. I don't care about being right to you folk, lol. You are a bunch of strangers that (no offence meant here) don't mean anything to me at all. I DO care about the team though, and I DO get pissy when they are playing like crap. Who cares about being right on the internet? This is just somewhere to talk/*****/celebrate the team, for good or ill.

You can admit that you are very reactionary though? Every injury is a possible career ender, and they're a lottery team after 5 games. I'm not as positive as some of the people here, but I also recognize we won't have a full picture of what we're dealing with until the end of November.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes and the other part of it is that the Oilers have been controlling the play for the most part. They've been making absolutely braindead mistakes, I agree with you there. But hopefully it will normalize.

They still have a chance to break out of this by November. Win a couple in a row and they're alright.

Like I said in another post, we need to play "100 point season" hockey (about a .605 winning%) the rest of the way to hit 95 points. Not impossible, but certainly not easy at all. Especially with the team taking a step back from last year (Eberle > Strome) and the current injury situation.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You can admit that you are very reactionary though? Every injury is a possible career ender, and they're a lottery team after 5 games. I'm not as positive as some of the people here, but I also recognize we won't have a full picture of what we're dealing with until the end of November.

Yes, I would agree that I'm a "hot-head" when it comes to the Oilers, yes. I do tend to swing to the extremes with sports, because that is the fun in it. I don't do that in any other aspect of my life, and I view sports as an "escape" where you can act silly and get "caught up" in the excitement/peril of it all. So yeah, I wouldn't disagree with that.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Like I said in another post, we need to play "100 point season" hockey (about a .605 winning%) the rest of the way to hit 95 points. Not impossible, but certainly not easy at all. Especially with the team taking a step back from last year (Eberle > Strome) and the current injury situation.

Yes, the road is definitely harder, in the sense that they can't afford to have multiple stretches like this.. However they also lost 5 games in a row last season. Means outside of those games, they had to play above a 100 point pace, just like they will now.

The only thing I'm confident in is that the offence will get going in a big way once Draisaitl's back. They looked too good in the first three games to not score more. The defence I'm not sold on. Goaltending, well if Talbot doesn't start playing better the season's over, I can admit that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So you're cool with not winning a cup? I look at that defense and say that's not good enough

Nylander and Marner are not expendable pieces either just like how Drai is not expendable. lol The Leafs will tell you this

The Leafs have much MUCH more depth than the Oilers do so they can afford to deal one of their skilled forwards and still have a wealth of depth. If they want to add a #1 Dman, they have the pieces to acquire one, the Oilers don't.

No, I'm not "cool" with the Oilers not winning a Cup. I'm just saying that them acquiring a #1 Dman is pure fantasy stuff. I'd be shocked if Doughty doesn't re-sign with the Kings, OEL will likely be re-signed by the Coyotes or dealt out of division. I suppose that McDonagh is a possibility but I expect him to be re-signed as well unless there's a package that the Rangers can't refuse and again, the Oilers don't have the pieces to get that done.

Klefbom and Larsson are their guys going forward similar to the Canes with Slavin and Pesce and the Jackets with Jones and Werenski. Those will be their top guys going forward. Unfortunately, the Oilers top guys aren't nearly as good as those other teams but who knows, they are still young enough to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad