Boston's 2015 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
At last they got deBrusk out of that. He's a big time player and would kill to have him on my team.

The bigger blunders from that draft that are actually thread worthy are the Devils Panthers and Stars and to a lesser extent Minnesota (how TF did they miss out on hometown Boeser) and Detroit

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Not selecting Barzal with one of the picks is the only thing to be upset about. It was such an obvious pick at the time. Even if they didn't truly believe in the player. The asset alone.... Talking about Aho, Boeser, Chabot etc is just silly. Yes, they'd be in a much better position if they nailed every pick in the past five drafts.....

They have Carlo and DeBrusk from that draft as integral players. Zboril, Lauzon, Senyshyn, and JFK all played games for the big club last year. Future to be determined (though not looking to be impact players). Yeah, they could have it grand slam, but there's nothing to be ashamed about a single up the middle.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Boston drafts
2014 - Pasta
2015 - Debrusk, Zboril, Senyshyn, (Carlo in the 2nd)
2016 - McAvoy

They whiffed Barzal but I'm not firing anyone on that scouting staff. And don't forget that one of those picks they got in 2015 was by trading Lucic 1 year away from free agency (they got another 1st and Kuraly as well).

If you're going to crucify them for Senyshyn, then go ahead and crucify the rest of the league for whiffing on Pasta and McAvoy.

It's one thing to strike out once as many teams do, but to do it 3 times in a row like that...
And it's not just Barzal they missed. Barzal, Chabot, Connor were taken right after plus Boessar a few spots later.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's one thing to strike out once as many teams do, but to do it 3 times in a row like that...
And it's not just Barzal they missed. Barzal, Chabot, Connor were taken right after plus Boessar a few spots later.

So what. Gurianov and Crouse were the two picks taken before Boston. Zboril was ranked ahead of Chabot.

The biggest reach in the draft after Senyshyn was Sebastian Aho early in the 2nd.

So which is it? Teams should go with the TSN consensus? Or reach when they like a player? Or just get it right all the time?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

DeBrusk has 27 goals in like 65 games this past season... he’s far from a strike out and is actually a great pick for his position.

Zboril wasn’t a controversial pick and taken pretty well right where he was supposed to by a team that needed D prospects so you can’t really blame them there

Senyshen was obviously a “what are you doing” pick that was a classic example of the problem with picking for needs rather than BPA. Big mistake there

Add in that they got their RHD shutdown top 4D in the 2nd rd and Lauzon could still be a player and this draft really isn’t as bad as others make it to be.

Of course it’s easy to say that if they picked Brazil they win the cup, but they you’d also have to say if they didn’t steal Carlo/McAvoy/Pasta they don’t even make the finals.

there 2015 draft cost them a cup.

Or I could say their 2014 and 2016 draft brought them to the finals. No team hits home runs every single draft. The Bruins still got a top 4D and top 6W from that draft.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Bruins would look great with Barzal or whatever, but I'm content with the guy rocking the highest goals per game in the draft, Zach Senyshyn.

Well done again Sweeney.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Meh, teams hit and miss at the draft. 3/4’s of the league passed on Pastrnak so what does that tell you.

As for 2015 it always seemed to me like they couldn’t believe they were picking 3 in a row. Like a trade fell through (Carolina maybe) at the very last second.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
But 31 and 34 goals the last 2 years (and 66 points last year!) would have a person overlook any perceived softness, no? o_O
Not really, being responsible for helping a team win is what gets noticed, disappearing in the playoffs also gets you noticed, in a bad way.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
What makes it worst is the next 3 players chosen lol.

Good for the Bruins for getting to the finals despite a blunder like that. Still they probably win the cup with Chabot, Connor, and Barzal. Leafs and everyone else in the Atlantic are thankful for this draft each day.
Why would the Leaves be thankful? They still can't beat Boston even after this terrible draft.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Boston would easily be the best team in the NHL if Sweeney wasn’t a total moron that day. Barzal and Connor were absolute no brainers at that spot at the very least.

Reactions: Fire Sweeney

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Not really, being responsible for helping a team win is what gets noticed, disappearing in the playoffs also gets you noticed, in a bad way.

He was the Jets 3rd leading scorer this year....seems to me he helped plenty in getting the Jets to the playoffs :huh: And Connor didn’t disappear in the playoffs, he had 3G 2A 5P in 6 games! o_O
I really don’t know what you’re talking about? You’re selling him way too short as an important player for the Jets!

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Meh, teams hit and miss at the draft. 3/4’s of the league passed on Pastrnak so what does that tell you.

As for 2015 it always seemed to me like they couldn’t believe they were picking 3 in a row. Like a trade fell through (Carolina maybe) at the very last second.

Bruins management should have been prepared for any eventuality that day. So what if the attempt to trade up to select Hanifin fell through? You still have to have done your drafting homework and have the players in mind whom you want to draft at spots 13 to 15.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Bruins management should have been prepared for any eventuality that day. So what if the attempt to trade up to select Hanifin fell through? You still have to have done your drafting homework and have the players in mind whom you want to draft at spots 13 to 15.
Fair enough.

They really only reached on one guy. Zboril was ranked ahead of every other dman if I remember right. Some of his development, or lack thereof rests on him too.

In the end it’s one draft they got two very good players out of in Debrusk and Carlo. Any other year fans would be elated over it

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Round 1 specifically.

What will go down as potentially the best draft of all time, how did the Bruins "mess up" round 1? I dont want to say they bombed, but 3 picks at 13-14-15 and considering the players in this draft and what they ended up with, I think it is safe to say disappointment is the right word at minimum.

Debrusk looks like he is going to pan out, but they likely could have traded down 10+ spots and still got him.

Looking at the names that they potentially could have moved up for (assuming McDavid and Eichel weren't an option)

Strome
Marner
Naifin
Zacha
Provorov
Werenski
Meier
Rantanen

Then looking at the names they missed

Barzal
Connor
Chabot
Svechnikov
Boeser
Konecny
Aho

Again, I'm not trying to say they bombed, but looking at a woulda coulda shoulda, wow they could be Lightning status right now.

:deadhorse
:facepalm:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
This wasn't even the biggest blunder of the draft.

Edmonton gave up its first and second round picks for Griffin Reinhart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad