Boston's 2015 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Round 1 specifically.

What will go down as potentially the best draft of all time, how did the Bruins "mess up" round 1? I dont want to say they bombed, but 3 picks at 13-14-15 and considering the players in this draft and what they ended up with, I think it is safe to say disappointment is the right word at minimum.

Debrusk looks like he is going to pan out, but they likely could have traded down 10+ spots and still got him.

Looking at the names that they potentially could have moved up for (assuming McDavid and Eichel weren't an option)

Strome
Marner
Naifin
Zacha
Provorov
Werenski
Meier
Rantanen

Then looking at the names they missed

Barzal
Connor
Chabot
Svechnikov
Boeser
Konecny
Aho

Again, I'm not trying to say they bombed, but looking at a woulda coulda shoulda, wow they could be Lightning status right now.

Reactions: Duffman955

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Ya and they supposedly could have had Senyshyn much lower, even into the 2nd round but let’s wait a few more years until they all are finished developing before we judge hey? o_O

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They tried to move up to 3 to get Hanifin. But, they couldn't reach a deal with the Coyotes that was built either around picks or Dougie Hamilton. I don't think Leafs or Hurricanes were too inclined to move out of the top 10, so I have a hard time seeing them move up for Marner or Hanifin there. Leafs talked with Columbus about moving down to 8 but it is unclear whether that was a contingency plan if Marner was off the board or whether they would have done it anyway.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Is crazy how some of the 2015 redrafts from a year ago probably look a lot different now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ya and they supposedly could have had Senyshyn much lower, even into the 2nd round but let’s wait a few more years until they all are finished developing before we judge hey? o_O

Hypothetically if they waited till the 2nd to draft Senyshyn, they wouldn't have got Carlo so I guess Bruin fans can at least be happy about that

Reactions: wintersej

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
We'll see but I remember the Senyshyn pick being a questionable one since day one. DeBrusk might've been a bit of a reach at the time but did pan out so good pick. Don't remember where Zboril was supposed to go so I can't say.

In retrospect, we've surely seen worse 1st rounds picks by a team.

CoverYour5

Sep 25, 2018
I’m curious, if someone with time, could go through and count just how often this thread has popped up in the last four years. I’m sure it numbers in the dozens
Really emphasizes how bad it was. From draft day, consensus was "What is Boston doing?" And in all subsequent years, with multiple of these threads every year, that opinion has not changed much.

Thought for certain they would have traded at least one of those picks. They just didn't seem to have a plan when their name was called.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I apologize for not being active in the previous threads of this, but I heard this and looked up what they did and woooof. And considering how good they have been since then, just sad to imagine if they added Barzal, Connor, and Chabot instead.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
as said in every thread when this is brought up, debrusk and zboril werent bad picks at the time. looking back, its unfortunate the next 3 guys were so good but if they dont reach for senyshyn and take one of the others this isnt a discussion.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
We'll see but I remember the Senyshyn pick being a questionable one since day one. DeBrusk might've been a bit of a reach at the time but did pan out so good pick. Don't remember where Zboril was supposed to go so I can't say.

Zboril was picked roughly were he was rated pre draft(which is why he gets less scorn than Senyshyn), some had him higher then Chabot, others had it reversed

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
What makes it worst is the next 3 players chosen lol.

Good for the Bruins for getting to the finals despite a blunder like that. Still they probably win the cup with Chabot, Connor, and Barzal. Leafs and everyone else in the Atlantic are thankful for this draft each day.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Boston took:
13Jakub Zboril (D)
23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czech Republic
Boston Bruins (from Los Angeles)1Saint John Sea Dogs(QMJHL)
14Jake DeBrusk (LW)
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Boston BruinsSwift Current Broncos(WHL)
15Zachary Senyshyn (RW)
Canada
Boston Bruins (from Calgary)2Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Interesting to see how much better Ottawa did with just two picks a short time later in the draft standings:

18Thomas Chabot (D)
Canada
Ottawa SenatorsSaint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
21Colin White (C)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Ottawa Senators (from NY Islanders via Buffalo)4U.S. NTDP (USHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
... not to mention what the Isles got in Barzal, Winnipeg got in Kyle Connor and Vancouver got in Brock Boeser...

Reactions: SensontheRush

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Apparently Detroit was going to take Senyshyn at #19. :dunno:

Just going by what I remember hearing a few media guys involved with the draft had apparently said? I do know that there’s probably 10 different opinions on where Senyshyn actually would have gone. o_O

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Your welcome, it was sure frustrating to watch him put the Jets over the top, oh wait, lol, soft as butter.

But 31 and 34 goals the last 2 years (and 66 points last year!) would have a person overlook any perceived softness, no? o_O

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Boston drafts
2014 - Pasta
2015 - Debrusk, Zboril, Senyshyn, (Carlo in the 2nd)
2016 - McAvoy

They whiffed Barzal but I'm not firing anyone on that scouting staff. And don't forget that one of those picks they got in 2015 was by trading Lucic 1 year away from free agency (they got another 1st and Kuraly as well).

If you're going to crucify them for Senyshyn, then go ahead and crucify the rest of the league for whiffing on Pasta and McAvoy.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
At the time, the Bruins needed a RW like Senyshyn and still do. He will get his shot this season.

The Bruins could have drafted any of the other players mentioned, but the Bruins are currently looking at re-signing McAvoy and Carlo with the cap they have left.

Folks like bringing up Barzal. He would still be the Bruins' 3rd line center and his game is not a fit for that role. If the Bruins drafted Barzal and didn't trade for Coyle, would they have gone to the Stanley Cup finals? Coyle was a major reason why the Bruins made it as far as they did.

Whomever the Bruins drafted at 15 and whether you believe they would have helped or not, change one variable and things may have not played out the way they did.

The Bruins hit on a lot of players the last few drafts (Pastrnak, Heinen, DeBrusk, McAvoy, and Carlo) and are waiting for more prospects to make the jump. I wouldn't worry about their drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad