Proposal: Boston - New York, Boston - Anaheim

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This place has been pretty grim lately and downtrodden fans make for sad talk. Let's speculate and have some thoughts on two trade proposals that have been met with positive responses from the other teams' fanbases:

To Boston:

LW Rick Nash (1.8 Million Retained)

To New York:

RW Jimmy Hayes
RHD Colin Miller
2017 2nd Round Pick (Edmonton's)

CAP IMPLICATIONS: 6.0 Million in, 3.3 Million out = 2.7 Million added

Now, let's fix that defense a little:

To Boston:

LHD Cam Fowler

To Anaheim:

C/W Ryan Spooner
RW Zach Senyshyn

CAP IMPLICATIONS: 4.0 Million in, .95 Million out = 3.05 Million added

The Bruins take from the cupboard and add on forward and defense. Overall, they add 5.75 million to the cap hit.

Do you like either trade? Do you like both? Care to explain why?

Happy thoughts and conversations during the dog days of summer...

Or do you think its time the Boston Bruins offer-sheet (given the depth in the prospect pool) Trouba or Lindholm?

Don't like Nash, and think that's a little steep for Fowler (who I do like).

Also, I'm pretty sure the B's are not allowed to deal that compensatory pick from EDM? Thought I remember Dom saying something about it?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not a fan of Wideman (mentioned why in your thread) but I think that's the caliber of player we're talking about.

The tough part is, how do you get certain about Colin Miller? IMO, the only way is to start the season with the status quo and see. If he's not ready or only halfway there, then try to deal in-season.

OT: I also wouldn't be averse to adding someone to play with Krug and making that the first pair.

Krug - Good D
Chara - C.Miller
Liles - K.Miller

McQuaid traded.

i think the wideman trade is available after weve had camp... so id give colin miller and joe morrow the camp to impress us.

i am not keen to proceed with both kevan miller and adam mcquaid but again i feel we can trade 1 at anytime. they are both borderline 4 guys imho and could play on many teams as a 4... its just overkill to have both on the same team.

if krug and morrow and colin miller are all playing, then suddenly we dont need anymore soft offensive minded dmen. we have liles for a full season too.

and with chara and 1 of either mcquaid or kevan miller we dont really need more physical dmen either.

i just dont have a strong gut feeling that colin miller is going to win a top 4 role coming out of camp.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think we have to set our sights much, much lower (than Cam Fowler).

Let's start with, who is the worst defenseman that could actually help?

I think Sweeney would love to add a Fowler but I think the price the Ducks would ask for him would scratch the deal as I believe DS is firmly committed to drafting and developing and the ask wouldn`t be lower tiered prospects.

I suppose the question would/could be, is that "worst defeseman that could actually help" good enough to make the B`s stronger on the D?

I don`t really know who`s out there for the taking other than Russell so I`m not a great resource for possible trade/UFA options

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Fowler was the best Duck defenseman until Christmas when Lindholm stepped up. He was then the #2, better than Vatanan but not by much.

It seems like many here won't part with Senyshyn for Fowler in a trade but would move Spooner and another prospect for Fowler.

My worry, looking at the prices for PMD's is that even Senyshyn isn't enough.

I'd be 100% for the Fowler deal.

Gotta give to get... Good work on that one.

The Nash trade I'm a little more iffy on, as I don't dig on ditching Chiller for what may amount to little more than a massive cap dump from the Rangers' end. But I can't deny that it's an intriguing proposal.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

For those who are keen on the idea of Fowler, but believe the deal us too rich:

What if that's just what it took? What if the Ducks said it's that or nah?

I certainly don't LIKE the idea of losing those two guys, but what I like a hell of a lot less is a defense that keeps the Bruins from the playoff picture. Fowler's wheels would add an incredible element to this blue line and his cap number is stellar.

To me, if that's the deal on the table, you choke it down a bit and make the trade that improves your club.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I certainly don't LIKE the idea of losing those two guys, but what I like a hell of a lot less is a defense that keeps the Bruins from the playoff picture. Fowler's wheels would add an incredible element to this blue line and his cap number is stellar.

To me, if that's the deal on the table, you choke it down a bit and make the trade that improves your club.

Personally, I say no. I think it marginally improves the bruins this year and next, Probably a 20% better chance of making the playoffs this year, but in my opinion it still leaves them a real longshot to win in postseason, and that is if everything breaks right

Then I guess you are committing to give him a 7 year 50-60 million dollar extension. Is he that guy who you build your team around for the next decade? I don't think so, but maybe others think he is

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015

I'd rather look at moving Debrusk if we're moving a winger prospect, we certainly seem to have more in the LW pipeline than RW so moving ZS scares me a little in that respect.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
is it time to start the "what if Krejci waives his NMC and we got Shattenkirk" conversations again?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

And look at it this way.

A year from now which is better?

Fowler at 4.0 million to play a key role in Boston's top 4 D.

Spooner at 3.5-4.0 million to play wing 75% of the time because Claude loves Backes in the middle.

Judging by Boston's cap situation, next season it's either invest that cap space in Spooner, or invest it in a D, because once you factor in the Marchand and Pasta extensions, it's pretty hard to re-sign Spooner too AND have money for a Top 4 D-man.

If adding Senyshyn to the deal makes or breaks it, I'd do that deal everytime. About the only hesitancy I have is Boston lacks quality right-shot wing prospects and are loaded with left-shots. I'm sure Senyshyn is a fine prospect but reading this board you'd think he was a 5-star prospect, a sure-fire Top 6 winger in a couple years.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'd maybe do the Fowler trade, but not the Nash trade. Seems like a different direction than the team is taking.

I'd rather they look at Trouba still, if possible. Start with Spooner & Colin Miller; add a prospect & a 1st maybe.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I agree, I think you try to make it more palatable and ask for a secondary future asset (3rd round pick / B prospect) on the Ducks side. But if it takes Senyshyn, I make that deal.

I don't even think Fowler is the best fit (LD), but I'd pull the trigger.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
If I'm spending that much on Fowler, I'd rather go more and get Lindholm, but, they wouldn't let him go. So, instead of Fowler, I'd rather have Shea Theodore. He has limited NHL experience but did outstanding in what he has. He is also a more rounded player than Fowler...........and cheaper.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Thanks Heusy for coming and answering that for me. Originally we all thought Vatanen would be the target before the signing and once again it was Spooner the price tag +. As soon as Backes was signed it seemed like a logical conclusion.

No problem. You guys have a good discussion going here, might not be a bad idea to try this one out on the main board.
If I'm spending that much on Fowler, I'd rather go more and get Lindholm, but, they wouldn't let him go. So, instead of Fowler, I'd rather have Shea Theodore. He has limited NHL experience but did outstanding in what he has. He is also a more rounded player than Fowler...........and cheaper.

Sorry to burst your bubble but neither of those guys is going anywhere. You simply don't move a dman like that for anything short of a potential franchise center (which you don't have to offer), and even that doesn't work for the Ducks. We have a legit #1 and #2 centers and need Lindholm more than anything we would get for him.

We're a budget team feeling then squeeze, and Theodore is an NHL ready dman with two years left on his ELC. The Ducks are in no position to move a guy like that.

There's currently no grounds for staying Theo is more rounded than Fowler. Cam has been taking on #1 responsibility for the past two seasons +, playing in all situations vs top competition. Theodore has only shown well in a sheltered role thus far. If you feel he gets there in the near future you're not alone, but you're statement currently is not correct.

ZLL

Oct 20, 2015
Whitman, MA
This place has been pretty grim lately and downtrodden fans make for sad talk. Let's speculate and have some thoughts on two trade proposals that have been met with positive responses from the other teams' fanbases:

To Boston:

LW Rick Nash (1.8 Million Retained)

To New York:

RW Jimmy Hayes
RHD Colin Miller
2017 2nd Round Pick (Edmonton's)

CAP IMPLICATIONS: 6.0 Million in, 3.3 Million out = 2.7 Million added

Now, let's fix that defense a little:

To Boston:

LHD Cam Fowler

To Anaheim:

C/W Ryan Spooner
RW Zach Senyshyn

CAP IMPLICATIONS: 4.0 Million in, .95 Million out = 3.05 Million added

The Bruins take from the cupboard and add on forward and defense. Overall, they add 5.75 million to the cap hit.

Do you like either trade? Do you like both? Care to explain why?

Happy thoughts and conversations during the dog days of summer...

Or do you think its time the Boston Bruins offer-sheet (given the depth in the prospect pool) Trouba or Lindholm?

I like the idea of both trades. I don't understand those not willing to do even Spooner for Fowler- see Hall for Larsson. You have to add to Spooner to get Fowler.

Do you think the B's adding their '19 1st in place of Senyshyn makes any sense? Give Anaheim the chance to make their own pick.

I also don't like giving up that Edmonton pick in the Nash deal. Hayes/Chiller is probably not enough, maybe another mid level prospect?

Interested in how you see the lines/D pairs shaking out with these trades assuming the main components of Spooner for Fowler and Hayes/Chiller for Nash?

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
We have enough bottom pairing defensemen without Fowler. Nash could be a good move I guess.

I'm not a huge Fowler can but this post reeks of ignorance. Fowler has been a top pairing guy on a vey good Anaheim team for years. He'd be arguably our best defencemen and his strengths(skating and puckmoving) adress the biggest weakness with the Bs last year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm not a huge Fowler can but this post reeks of ignorance. Fowler has been a top pairing guy on a vey good Anaheim team for years. He'd be arguably our best defencemen and his strengths(skating and puckmoving) adress the biggest weakness with the Bs last year.

And his biggest weaknesses, the Bruins have covered with Chara, McQuaid and K Miller. The one issue I have with Fowler is the he would be the least physical (even more than Morrow) D the Bruins would have. Is it a town that will appreciate that kind of guy?

As far as Spooner + Senyshyn, I have no issue with the value, but would be loathe to give up a right handed shooting prospect and would try to sell ANA on DeBrusk instead (who I actually think is the safer bet prospect).

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I'd be 100% for the Fowler deal.

Gotta give to get... Good work on that one.

The Nash trade I'm a little more iffy on, as I don't dig on ditching Chiller for what may amount to little more than a massive cap dump from the Rangers' end. But I can't deny that it's an intriguing proposal.

100% behind you on this one..I've always been a Cam fan and I think he would make an immediate impact on the Bruins defensive corpe..Unlike out west, in Boston he would be the #1 guy I presume and Him and Krug would make a great PP pair..Fowler has a lot of years left in the nhl and as our friend said, you gotta give to get..

I do not think Ana would take Quaiders contract but we do have the goods.

How bout: Fowler to Boston

Ryan Spooner, Jimmy Hayes and a 2017 2nd rounder to Ducks..

I really don't know if that's a fair deal or not but at least Sweeney should have a chat with Ducks and see what they want back. I personally don't think my deal is enough on 2nd thought and does CF have a NTC?? Interesting thread folks!!

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
100% behind you on this one..I've always been a Cam fan and I think he would make an immediate impact on the Bruins defensive corpe..Unlike out west, in Boston he would be the #1 guy I presume and Him and Krug would make a great PP pair..Fowler has a lot of years left in the nhl and as our friend said, you gotta give to get..

I do not think Ana would take Quaiders contract but we do have the goods.

How bout: Fowler to Boston

Ryan Spooner, Jimmy Hayes and a 2017 2nd rounder to Ducks..

I really don't know if that's a fair deal or not but at least Sweeney should have a chat with Ducks and see what they want back. I personally don't think my deal is enough on 2nd thought and does CF have a NTC?? Interesting thread folks!!

Sorry, forgot about the Nash deal..Personally, I have no interest in Nash as he's on the decline..His contract would take a lot of cap space away from resigning Marchand and that defenceman we're looking for..

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Fowler was the best Duck defenseman until Christmas when Lindholm stepped up. He was then the #2, better than Vatanan but not by much.

It seems like many here won't part with Senyshyn for Fowler in a trade but would move Spooner and another prospect for Fowler.

My worry, looking at the prices for PMD's is that even Senyshyn isn't enough.

I'm with you on this. Fowler is seen by some as a top 4 D wich would make this offer in the ball park (but still not enough imo). Other see him as a top 2 D wich would make this offer look really bad. Haven't seen Fowler enough myself to judge.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And his biggest weaknesses, the Bruins have covered with Chara, McQuaid and K Miller. The one issue I have with Fowler is the he would be the least physical (even more than Morrow) D the Bruins would have. Is it a town that will appreciate that kind of guy?

As far as Spooner + Senyshyn, I have no issue with the value, but would be loathe to give up a right handed shooting prospect and would try to sell ANA on DeBrusk instead (who I actually think is the safer bet prospect).

Really this is a concern? If he will be "appreciated" by the fan base? And he's the least physical. So what? Especially on a team with Chara's, Kevan's and McQuaid's.

Does he help the Bruins win hockey games should be the only concern.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
My main problem with Fowler is the quality of his defensive play. I like him and would do the deal but I do have that reservation. I still prefer Lindholm or Theodore. The Ducks need LW help as bad as we need D help so I don't understand their reluctance to trade either guy, especially with their prospect pool of defensive players. Prospects do you no good playing in the AHL.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Yeah, we keep hearing how steep the price is for top pairing defensemen and we even saw Larsson command Hall in return. If people really want to trade to get help in the top pairing the cost is this high.

And when you really come down to it, we're just offering a 3rd/2nd line player coming off one year of great play and a solid prospect with no NHL experience whatsoever. A lot of teams have that available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad