Rumor: [Boston Globe] Matt Porter: Orlov sounds like he wants a deal with the Caps. Open to Bruins, certainly, but a lot of years there.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Hoping and praying that he signs a 6 or 7 year deal with Pittsburgh with a very reasonable cap hit.

If he sucks in 5 years, it won't matter. Crosby Malkin and Letang will be retired or garbage players by then.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I can see why signing with the Bruins isn't likely to work. They've got a whole bunch of stuff up in the air without a lot of money to spend on it. It always felt like a pure "rental" scenario.

With Orlov especially, as he's spent most of his career on undervalued deals. He's clearly looking for that last big payday, and it's easy to see why.

But re-signing back with the Caps is also a bit strange to me. They might be in position to afford what he's going to be looking for in terms of salary, and there's obviously familiarity and a level of comfort there. But are the Caps coming or going? Do they really want to be spending big money over too long a term on a 30+ defenceman?

To me, a place like Pittsburgh seems like it'd be an opportunity to get paid while also having a chance to compete. Crossing the aisle from the Caps to Pens so to speak, but a chance to play out those final years with Crosby/Malkin/Letang.

Or even a place like Florida seems like a place to cash out with a team that can be competitive. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

The Kings would probably also be an opportunity to meld that $$$ and playoff opportunity.

Just seems like there are places that would make more sense than back to Washington. But if he just wants to go back to where he's familiar and comfortable and play out those last years of Ovechkin's career there...i guess it's just all about priorities. And trying to figure out what the Caps are actually intending to do...
Orlov would be exactly what the Penguins need in transition after Letang.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Where are the Caps going?

Why would it be wise for them to sign a 32y to longterm contract?
To get to the middle and stay there

Orlov is a very good player but if the Capitals are going to sink, he's not gonna keep them afloat in purgatory or anything. That's overrating him or most individual player's impact, really.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Trading him to a contender that couldn't possibly re-sign him due to cap issues and then re-signing him would be unreal asset management by the Caps
Hardly the intentional kind. The Caps traded him to highest bidder. I’m happy if it works out for them but it seems silly to give their management credit as if they intentionally took less and traded him to a team in this situation vs just trading him to the team that wanted him the most and paid for it.

Reactions: DaveG

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He's a great dman, but would be weary of giving him the term he's likely after.

For him as a player and a person that's historically been underpaid, hope he makes bank.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Trading him to a contender that couldn't possibly re-sign him due to cap issues and then re-signing him would be unreal asset management by the Caps
Why unreal asset management? They will get a good vet at a stage where they don't need him. And lets see what Boston will do.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
no brainer if he wants to come back. Push the cap as low as possible with 6-7 years.

2-3 years of good service, a year or two as a veteran presence for a tanking team and then its off to Robidas island anyways.

But based on renewing both Jensen and TvR to new deals and the fact they have been open about wanting to get help for top6, it signals Caps might not be looking this way. They already have 7-9 guys on blueline so it would get crowded and obviously cap space is a question. Cant see them trading any of the guys they just renewed (Jensen,TvR,Alexeyev), or the guy they just traded the BOS 1st for (Sandin), so Fehervary or Carlson? Likely not.

Last edited:

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I can see why signing with the Bruins isn't likely to work. They've got a whole bunch of stuff up in the air without a lot of money to spend on it. It always felt like a pure "rental" scenario.

With Orlov especially, as he's spent most of his career on undervalued deals. He's clearly looking for that last big payday, and it's easy to see why.

But re-signing back with the Caps is also a bit strange to me. They might be in position to afford what he's going to be looking for in terms of salary, and there's obviously familiarity and a level of comfort there. But are the Caps coming or going? Do they really want to be spending big money over too long a term on a 30+ defenceman?

To me, a place like Pittsburgh seems like it'd be an opportunity to get paid while also having a chance to compete. Crossing the aisle from the Caps to Pens so to speak, but a chance to play out those final years with Crosby/Malkin/Letang.

Or even a place like Florida seems like a place to cash out with a team that can be competitive. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

The Kings would probably also be an opportunity to meld that $$$ and playoff opportunity.

Just seems like there are places that would make more sense than back to Washington. But if he just wants to go back to where he's familiar and comfortable and play out those last years of Ovechkin's career there...i guess it's just all about priorities. And trying to figure out what the Caps are actually intending to
Wouldn't be the 1st defenseman drafted by Washington, traded to the Bruins and signing with the Penguins. Sergei Gonchar did the same thing.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Why would it be wise for them to sign a 32y to longterm contract?
To get to the middle and stay there
Because Martin Fehervary, Alex Alexeyev, etc. could certainly do much worse than having one of the premiere Eastern European DMen of his generation as a mentor.

Orlov is one of the best skating, and open-ice hitting, and open-ice strategic defenders in the League. Those things are unlikely to fail him with age. He’s undeniably one of the best DMen in the NHL at using his position to achieve open-ice leverage. It’s one of the reasons he’s so effective despite being comparatively under-sized.

If the money and term are reasonable I’m absolutely here for it.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Hoping and praying that he signs a 6 or 7 year deal with Pittsburgh with a very reasonable cap hit.

If he sucks in 5 years, it won't matter. Crosby Malkin and Letang will be retired or garbage players by then.
If we can move out Petry sure, if not there isn't any point. Personally, I think he goes back to the Caps

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
They are trying to stay in the fight for the playoffs, to ice a competitive team until Ovie gets his record. No proper rebuild will happen until then.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wouldn't be the 1st defenseman drafted by Washington, traded to the Bruins and signing with the Penguins. Sergei Gonchar did the same thing.
Let’s just not with this, shall we.

Unless hockey karma is poised to repeat the Caps Draft Lottery mojo from the same time.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Such a legend that it makes sense for Was to bury their contending window for the next 10 years?
They don't really have a contending window anymore, they can probably make the playoffs but they aren't going to be serious threats for the cup going forward anyways. The goal at this point is just to enjoy the final years of Ovi and get the all-time record.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

We don't know if its good asset management unless we see the contract. He ended strong with the Bruins, had a solid series.

If the contract ends up like 7x10M it'd be awful asset management. (number is exaggerated to show my point )

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If we can move out Petry sure, if not there isn't any point. Personally, I think he goes back to the Caps
Why is there no point? Can't have too many all-situations D, and Pens need a top 4 LHD.

Beyond 2025, Orlov is the main LHD and Letang is the main RHD, for better or worse, unless Petry extends or some kid overperforms expectations.

Pickering - Letang
Orlov - (Petry?)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Why is there no point? Can't have too many all-situations D, and Pens need a top 4 LHD.

Beyond 2025, Orlov is the main LHD and Letang is the main RHD, for better or worse, unless Petry extends or some kid overperforms expectations.

Pickering - Letang
Orlov - (Petry?)
Ya there is a point but I'd prefer going after Orlov, Gavrikov or Graves but Petry would have to be shipped out. I ain't a fan of his and I think his game is going downhill and time is now to get rid of his contract with 2 years left before it's too late. But that's me and my opinion. I've seen enough of Petry the past few years in Montreal before we acquired him

• Wow
Reactions: lanceuppercut75

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Blues got a decent haul for renting Keith Tkachuk and re-signed him a few months later, albeit less sexy when you fill in the names: 2007 1st (traded up for Ian Cole), 2007 3rd (Brett Sonne), 2008 2nd (Phil McRae)
Getting 5yrs of Ian Cole & 9 years of Bortuzzo simply by renting Tkachuk out for 20 games before the next season is still pretty damn savvy. That's like 15 years of a cheap, tough, bottom pairing D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad