Rumor: [Boston Globe] Matt Porter: Orlov sounds like he wants a deal with the Caps. Open to Bruins, certainly, but a lot of years there.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeah he ain't going back to Boston, he wants the paper that they can't offer him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Trading him to a contender that couldn't possibly re-sign him due to cap issues and then re-signing him would be unreal asset management by the Caps

Blues got a decent haul for renting Keith Tkachuk and re-signed him a few months later, albeit less sexy when you fill in the names: 2007 1st (traded up for Ian Cole), 2007 3rd (Brett Sonne), 2008 2nd (Phil McRae)

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Great nice job monty team set up for a run and here is the results. Please orlov stay. Jeez this is serious damage. Donny has to pull rabbits out of a hat now to keep this team competitive for another shot.

Reactions: KrugAvoy

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see why signing with the Bruins isn't likely to work. They've got a whole bunch of stuff up in the air without a lot of money to spend on it. It always felt like a pure "rental" scenario.

With Orlov especially, as he's spent most of his career on undervalued deals. He's clearly looking for that last big payday, and it's easy to see why.

But re-signing back with the Caps is also a bit strange to me. They might be in position to afford what he's going to be looking for in terms of salary, and there's obviously familiarity and a level of comfort there. But are the Caps coming or going? Do they really want to be spending big money over too long a term on a 30+ defenceman?

To me, a place like Pittsburgh seems like it'd be an opportunity to get paid while also having a chance to compete. Crossing the aisle from the Caps to Pens so to speak, but a chance to play out those final years with Crosby/Malkin/Letang.

Or even a place like Florida seems like a place to cash out with a team that can be competitive. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

The Kings would probably also be an opportunity to meld that $$$ and playoff opportunity.

Just seems like there are places that would make more sense than back to Washington. But if he just wants to go back to where he's familiar and comfortable and play out those last years of Ovechkin's career there...i guess it's just all about priorities. And trying to figure out what the Caps are actually intending to do...

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Where are the Caps going?

Why would it be wise for them to sign a 32y to longterm contract?
To get to the middle and stay there
Long term would be a bad idea.

3-4 years could work but other moves would need to be made first.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
What changed in negotiations from back then to today? If Washington is willing to meet his terms why waste a year of Ovechkin and not make the playoffs? Seems odd

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Where are the Caps going?

Why would it be wise for them to sign a 32y to longterm contract?
To get to the middle and stay there

I think the plan is to try to win as many games as possible before Ovie retires, even if it's unlikely they ever are good enough to win the cup.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Why would he want to sign with either? The Caps are going into full rebuild and the Bruins probably aren't far behind. You'd think he'd want a chance to win one more

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
weird thing is this used to be pretty normal but you don't see it too frequently anymore. Among guys that I can think of that did this: Doug Weight, Mark Recchi, Keith Tkachuk, Glen Wesley.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
If he wants a long term deal I let him walk. Yeah he showed some promising glimpses in his time with Boston but I wouldn't back up the brinks truck for him.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps are not going to rebuild, and have come out and stated as much. They're going to ice as competitive a team as they can for the rest of Ovechkin's contract. They also want to add youth into their lineup, but that's as far as it goes where a rebuild is concerned. They sold on UFAs when it appeared that they'd miss out on the 2023 playoffs, but their plan was always to add this summer.

This is a retooling situation, coupled with turning over some of the roster and getting younger. That means injecting young players and prospects (Sandin, Miroshnichenko, Haman-Aktell, Protas, McMichael, Alexeev, maybe Lapierre) into the lineup, and perhaps the odd trade.

The Caps and Orlov couldn't bridge the gap during contract talks this season, less due to a difference as far as AAV is concerned than on term. Whether there's room to revisit that is an open question, but the Caps would be interested, I think. He might not get as long a deal as he'd find elsewhere, unless the Caps have had a change of heart. I doubt the Caps will be dangling the longest and richest deal out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad