GDT: Boston @ Carolina Sorta

Which mysteries will be solved

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
One good thing to come out of this is that we are getting the baptism by fire by playing a team like Boston over and over again. We have a good foundation, but the complementary pieces definitely need to be molded into something that can play with the kind of mean streak that a team like Boston can play with. In a way, getting our ass kicked twice in the playoffs by the same team should send a very strong message to our front office that we have a huge weakness and it badly needs to be addressed if we hope to legitimately contend. In a few years, I can see these years paying off for us, but its going to suck for now. Simply put, we need to be a physical team. We need to be a team that busts its ass off 60 minutes a game every night, and not accept any effort that is less than that. Right now, this year, it didn't seem like we ever developed the kind of urgency needed to win in this league and it was allowed to fester to the point it blew up our series against Boston, again, before it really got started.

And if we can't get that fixed, then we'll eventually have a new front office and coaching staff soon enough where someone else will take a chance at it. But I have faith in the current versions to get it right.

They're children incapable of thinking at a mature, reasoned, level. Its not worth going there anymore, its just a toxic sludge of unchecked toxic masculinity that basically has free reign to spew whatever nonsensical, irrational, and at times, bigoted shit they want.

Agree 100% - this should be a catalyst for change, a Scouting exercise if nothing else. Now, who are the (feasible) players we can go after in the offseason (and how will they be fit into the cap/draft mix) so that we can compete against the BOS/COL/STL/VGK teams in the future?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Really tough to evaluate this series and what it means moving forward.
One thing that seems obvious is that the team needs to be tougher/grittier/greasier..whatever you want to call it. Displaying skill during the regular season is exponentially easier than in the playoffs. Maybe a one or two heavy players who can put a little fear into the opposition and protect the young guys.
To me, it looks like they just don't have their hearts in it. Don't get me wrong, Martinook, Aho, Svech and a few others seem to play really hard, but overall, they look blah.
Oh well, at least Svech isn't badly injured and will be ready to go next season.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
One thing that has kind of surprised me this whole playoff is the gloomy gus debbie downer vibe Rod has projected at times. It's widely viewed that mental toughness was going to be a key to succeeding in the bubble - at times he just hasn't projected that.
Well, assuming you're using that comment by Rod saying Edmundson's injury is a huge loss as evidence of Rod being a gloomy debbie downer and not projecting mental toughness, I'm not sure that would be accurate since coaches are gonna say something to that effect about every play that is injured. However, I wonder if Rod knows that a big guy like Edmundson that is hard to man handle/push around is the kind of players we need against Boston. Him saying that the day after our awful period might be something he is already contributing to our series performance, but that's only speculation on my part.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Edmundson being a huge loss says a lot about this team. He isn’t very good. Is playing a ton more minutes this post season despite providing a fraction of the toughness of last season. He was even in game 4 and 5 against Boston and barely played game 6 & 7.

You really have to question Rod and the management’s view point on players. If Rod value’s Edmundson, who is well overused here, he must not think very highly of some of the acquisitions.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Edmundson being a huge loss says a lot about this team. He isn’t very good. Is playing a ton more minutes this post season despite providing a fraction of the toughness of last season. He was even in game 4 and 5 against Boston and barely played game 6 & 7.

You really have to question Rod and the management’s view point on players. If Rod value’s Edmundson, who is well overused here, he must not think very highly of some of the acquisitions.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I remember the last time when fans and the front office talked about having to get tougher after getting bullied in a playoff series.

"With the 28th selection in the 2008 NHL entry draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select Philippe Paradis from the Shawinigan Cataractes."
"The Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce the signing of Tom Kostopoulos."
"The Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce the signing of Andrew Alberts."
"The Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce the signing of Stephane Yelle."
"The Carolina Hurricanes reacquired rugged defenceman Aaron Ward, who helped them win the 2006 Stanley Cup from the Boston Bruins for forward Patrick Eaves and a fourth-round draft pick next."

Hopefully this front office does a better job.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I remember the last time when fans and the front office talked about having to get tougher after getting bullied in a playoff series.

"With the 28th selection in the 2008 NHL entry draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select Philippe Paradis from the Shawinigan Cataractes."
"The Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce the signing of Tom Kostopoulos."
"The Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce the signing of Andrew Alberts."
"The Carolina Hurricanes are proud to announce the signing of Stephane Yelle."
"The Carolina Hurricanes reacquired rugged defenceman Aaron Ward,
who helped them win the 2006 Stanley Cup from the Boston Bruins for forward Patrick Eaves and a fourth-round draft pick next."

Hopefully this front office does a better job.
I remember somebody here pointing out that Ward and Yelle were on the ice for Jokinen's overtime winner in game 3 in 2009, both were pretty much right next to him and didn't manage to tie him up or get the puck. Hopefully this front office isn't taking a nap, unlike JR :sarcasm:

5GX3O27_8GtNTGIPufPai2dKYizyvxIWgofZ4AUsj42bHNDmglfPwFPSFNo-ED2LlRaK-er_hjPUmvmsfAeOUDsT5zobzdXn5vk

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Went to bed after the 2nd period, not because I thought they had it in the bag...had to get up super early. I kinda thought they’d been lucky, both goals on Halak were him missing the puck with his glove.

I had a whole thing written about roster construction and physicality and all that ... but f it. Boston doesn’t have a ton of physical specimens...they’re just nasty. They’re a mean team. The Blues were too.

The Canes are a turn-the-other-cheek type of team...they kind of remind me of the Jacques Martin-led Senators teams. The Leafs would just freight train through them every year. No response. They couldn’t do it. It wasn’t in their DNA.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm convinced Rod should have the boys watch their game tape all morning for this series. See how badly they've played and despite it being close to winning. I know it'd make me mad....but some of these guys might be the type to just shurg....and if they are it makes me sad they could have that much talent and so little fire.

Reactions: Tryamw

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I have not given up. We win one, then win next one, then we're right in the turf of Mr. Game 7 when there's only one to to be won.

... and it would be kind of sweet if Bruins lost those three games plausibly because of poor reffing.

My thoughts are if we can rally and pull something out today, we should have a slight back to back edge in net. Boston either rolls Halak twice or puts in the third stringer. Does that matter against Boston? Who can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad