GDT: Boston @ Carolina Sorta

Which mysteries will be solved

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I’m still pissed about this. f***. Why couldn’t you ass clowns have rolled over and died before taking a 2 goal lead into the 3rd. I was supposed to not care about the outcome at all. Goddamnit.

You can probably take some solace that at least they didn't do this in game 6 or 7.

If it happened up 2-0 on the verge of evening the series (and almost 4-0 when you consider the Necas near miss and the very close high stick goal) it would have happened at some other point eventually.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Does anyone have a link to Slavin being questioned about this?
jscomments.jpg

For a few days, it caused a stir on Twitter. Some harsh commentary, comments about being disappointed in him and some even chimed in that he couldn't be a good Dad - even though the day before he was praised for The Athletic's It’s because of Emersyn: Jaccob and Kylie Slavin’s love for their child shifted their reality article.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
While I feel that they need to discover that physical leadership that can effect momentum in a game/series, I don't agree with the mental weakness narrative. This is mostly the same core group that got smoked in Game 5 against Washington, but came back to win Game 6 and then Game 7 on the road. When a Zamboni driver was in net in a crucial RS game against Toronto, they didn't buckle. They took of business against a team that they've traditionally struggled with in the qualifying round.

Boston is on another level than those opponents. Carolina is not the only club on the upswing to face that type of elite team roadblock in recent memory. Pittsburgh's struggle with Detroit was previously mentioned. Vancouver lost to Chicago in back-to-back years. Ovechkin/Backstrom lost to Crosby/Malkin 3 times, including a back-to-back before breaking through.

This group has room to grow, both in terms of talent (namely Necas) and maturity. I really do think that the upside of this team is to be on the level that Boston is on right now. We are watching some growing pains in real time and that's okay. Be patient.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The fact of the matter is that it took us 10 minutes to get a shot on goal in the first period, and almost 19 minutes to get a shot in the 3rd. Basically held shot-less for 2 periods.

Honestly, it's probably better they lost the game in the manner that they did, because that kind of performance deserves that kind of loss. That's not good enough for preseason, let alone the playoffs. Simply unacceptable.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd say "watch where RBA can get this team after they've been punched in the mouth", but they were punched in the mouth in Game 3 and that's what we got for Game 4.

Both RBA and the team leadership seems deflated and I wouldn't be surprised if this just ends with a fizzle.

I suspect you are right. Williams said a number of times last year that playoffs is about making it hard so the other team gives up. Maybe they'll bounce back, but I definitely get the "gave up" vibe here. And that's taking nothing away from Boston, as they are the ones making it hard for the Canes.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
As much as I don't care to defend the warped Boston sports fan mentality, the people on the main board all seem like they're about 12-14 year olds. They're the worst and dumbest of the lot.
The one guy chastised us for not criticizing Tripp after his Svech isn’t Russian comments then doubling down after he got the receipts that we did, in fact, rip into him pretty hard pretty much sums it up.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yep the will to win was broken. I think in every playoff series there's a moment where it happens that you can pinpoint like when Lisa breaks Ralph's heart. That 3rd goal was it in this one. I'd love to be wrong

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Part of me says that uneven big market team friendly reffing is a challenge you need to overcome.

But: I think the players know it best how tilted the reffing has been, and I wonder when it is blatant enough does the players not anymore want to get themselves fully mentally invested, to protect themselves from of the overt disappointment potentially awaiting them if they did.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
While I feel that they need to discover that physical leadership that can effect momentum in a game/series, I don't agree with the mental weakness narrative. This is mostly the same core group that got smoked in Game 5 against Washington, but came back to win Game 6 and then Game 7 on the road. When a Zamboni driver was in net in a crucial RS game against Toronto, they didn't buckle. They took of business against a team that they've traditionally struggled with in the qualifying round.

Boston is on another level than those opponents. Carolina is not the only club on the upswing to face that type of elite team roadblock in recent memory. Pittsburgh's struggle with Detroit was previously mentioned. Vancouver lost to Chicago in back-to-back years. Ovechkin/Backstrom lost to Crosby/Malkin 3 times, including a back-to-back before breaking through.

This group has room to grow, both in terms of talent (namely Necas) and maturity. I really do think that the upside of this team is to be on the level that Boston is on right now. We are watching some growing pains in real time and that's okay. Be patient.

One good thing to come out of this is that we are getting the baptism by fire by playing a team like Boston over and over again. We have a good foundation, but the complementary pieces definitely need to be molded into something that can play with the kind of mean streak that a team like Boston can play with. In a way, getting our ass kicked twice in the playoffs by the same team should send a very strong message to our front office that we have a huge weakness and it badly needs to be addressed if we hope to legitimately contend. In a few years, I can see these years paying off for us, but its going to suck for now. Simply put, we need to be a physical team. We need to be a team that busts its ass off 60 minutes a game every night, and not accept any effort that is less than that. Right now, this year, it didn't seem like we ever developed the kind of urgency needed to win in this league and it was allowed to fester to the point it blew up our series against Boston, again, before it really got started.

And if we can't get that fixed, then we'll eventually have a new front office and coaching staff soon enough where someone else will take a chance at it. But I have faith in the current versions to get it right.

The one guy chastised us for not criticizing Tripp after his Svech isn’t Russian comments then doubling down after he got the receipts that we did, in fact, rip into him pretty hard pretty much sums it up.

They're children incapable of thinking at a mature, reasoned, level. Its not worth going there anymore, its just a toxic sludge of unchecked toxic masculinity that basically has free reign to spew whatever nonsensical, irrational, and at times, bigoted shit they want.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
For the first time having us vote against playing is starting to matter a little bit to me. I’m not convinced they want to be playing.

That third goal with Slavin watching and Willy diving to catch him is brutal like others have noticed. I hate to have Willy end his career like this.
Then why they were so good against Rangers? I mean, Rags are pretty mediocre team but we were flying two weeks ago. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad