Confirmed Trade: [BOS/WSH/MIN] Dmitry Orlov (75% retained), Garnet Hathaway, Andrei Svetlakov to BOS; Craig Smith, 2023 1st, 2025 2nd, 2024 3rd to WSH; 2023 5th to MIN

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Interesting how so many posters expect Orlov to replace Grzelcyk, or even have Grzelcyk now pushed out of the lineup.
He must be doing something right with the second best +/- in the NHL.
If Orlov can play either side (which is what I'm reading), I think he replaces either Carlo or Gryz depending on the opponent. Carlo plays against heavier, slower teams and Gryz against lighter, faster teams. I am admittedly not a Carlo fan, but he has been better in the last ten games. I'll keep Clifton and Forbort in the lineup as they are more effective defensively than Carlo and Gryz. Flack jacket on.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
If Orlov can play either side (which is what I'm reading), I think he replaces either Carlo or Gryz depending on the opponent. Carlo plays against heavier, slower teams and Gryz against lighter, faster teams. I am admittedly not a Carlo fan, but he has been better in the last ten games. I'll keep Clifton and Forbort in the lineup as they are more effective defensively than Carlo and Gryz. Flack jacket on.

He started off as a left shooting RD in Russia because of the positional logjam but spent almost all of his time in the NHL at LD. Played forward back in juniors as well I think

Reactions: ORRMAN

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Interesting how so many posters expect Orlov to replace Grzelcyk, or even have Grzelcyk now pushed out of the lineup.
He must be doing something right with the second best +/- in the NHL.

A decent portion of our fan base hate Gryz because he’s short. He might get bumped down in the lineup but he’ll still be in it unless he starts getting bullied like he has in some heavier playoff series.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I wish my fellow caps fans wouldn't downplay Orlov just because he is no longer with the team.

He's not a Lindholm level player but overall I would say he has been the best Caps defenseman of the Ovechkin era. If the Caps powerplay wasn't the most rigid setup in the league since Ovechkin got drafted (RD one time passing from the right side to Ovechkin on the left circle for a one timer) Orlov would have probably gotten several 50-60 point seasons under his belt. Green and Carlson had higher offensive peaks but at even strength Orlov brought good puck movement, puck retrieval, shot blocking, ability to both give and take much more physical punishment than any other defenseman minus maybe Orpik (just look at him flipping Downie and Duchene), great offensive instincts and shot from the point. The only thing keeping from him being a top top D in the league is that none of his skills are top 5/10 in the NHL, but there are few defensemen more complete than him. He's the modern day Niklas Kronwall minus the Kronwalling of other players at the knees

Only thing is Bruins shouldn't do the Shattenkirk mistake we made and bury him on the 3rd pair, put him with Carlo or whoever your second top 4 RD is on the 2nd pairing and you should have another Orlov-Niskanen type pairing that was crucial for the caps cup win. Hathaway is one of the best 4th liners in the league as well and the type of player who should find it very easy to adjust to a new team mid season with his Barclay Goodrow type game. GJ Bruins, I'd have personally thought another 2nd round pick worth of value would have been proper (between retention and Hathaway inclusion) but won't complain about the return given the circumstances. Also rofl at Oilers not beating this deal, I can't think of a better package to support McDavid's cup run this season minus swapping Jack Campbell for a real #1
Only trouble with putting orlov on the second pair is we needed to split lindholm and McAvoy up, so unless you’re putting one of them on the third pair it’s gotta be orlov.

Our system spreads minutes really evenly though and Monty pushes the defense to attack a lot but be able to cycle back so orlov will see plenty of action

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Only trouble with putting orlov on the second pair is we needed to split lindholm and McAvoy up, so unless you’re putting one of them on the third pair it’s gotta be orlov.

Our system spreads minutes really evenly though and Monty pushes the defense to attack a lot but be able to cycle back so orlov will see plenty of action

Gryz McAvoy
Lindholm Clifton
Orlov Carlo

Give Lindholm and McAvoy a bunch of extra shifts together.

Reactions: veganbruin

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I know I kinda blasted teams like Edmonton and Toronto for not topping this offer but just catching up to the whole “limited no trade” list thing in which case I think that may have prevented those teams from doing so and also slightly hurt the market for Orlov in terms of return for the Caps as well.

I do think in terms of bang for your buck for a deadline deal this is gonna be hard to top when you consider the player, the position, the retained salary, the added guy (Hathaway), the dumping of a contract (Smith) and only one pick that matters given up in 2023.

I feel as good about this trade for Boston as I did bad for the Panthers in the Chiarot trade last deadline. This was a “winning move” even if the Bruins end up short. Just like ROR was for TML. You gotta take your shot.
Hathaway is far from a throw in.....Hathaway is going to excel on the same team as Marchand....they are the same player just Marchand scores more. The Boston Bruins just got significantly better.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Avs defense when healthy is still amazing and championship (obviously) caliber but the “if all healthy” part has been problematic this season and the Bruins depth simply cannot be matched. The interchangeability the B’s now have on that backend is wild and they can tailor one-ups specifically to match an opponent’s strengths.

There is no universe where Girard is equal to Orlov.

Byram if healthy brings a lot of what Orlov does. Girard and Grz are comparable. A healthy Manson probably matches up to Carlo. But the back end depth is monumentally in favor of Boston and Lindholm has been better than Toews this season.

I'm hearing Boston is going after Barbashev. So if Boston and Colorado advance to the
SCF, Girard and Byram better line up some organ donors and dark rooms respectively because Barbashev, Hathaway and Foligno will finish both off by G3.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
26 yo middle sixer for CSKA. Good size, decent skater, plays C. Bit of skill, but more of a defender.

I think he might be able to play on a 4 th line. He never wanted to,come over to MN, and they cared enough to woo him. He might be more open to WAS.

He was always one of my favorite under the radar picks.

He went to Boston.

Reactions: Neely2005

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Not sure how that is related to the discussion. My point is that these 2 players barely move the needle against what Boston already has against the leafs and it might in fact hurt them. They don't do well against a strong possession team.
Leaf's need to get by Tampa first as do the bruins their first round opponent, but if they do meet, I don't see any reason why Orlov and Hathaway wont be tremendous playoff warriors as they were for the Caps. The east is tough real tough, there's 6 teams that there isn't much separating them at all and any one of them can come out of it, and whoever does without a question would have earned the right. Here's hoping its the Bruins :cheers:

Reactions: inactive user

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I’ll be interested to see if Orlov and Hathaway can raise the B’s league leading penalty kill above the unprecedented figure of 90%. Tall order - I wouldn’t put it past them. That’s how you win cups.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Am not underrating him at all. But if you want the cup then it's fair to compare your best dman to elite Dmen that won cups like Hedman or Makar or even Doughty back when he won the cup. Is McAvoy at same level as those guys? Can he raise his level in the playoffs and let's say, score 2 goals in a game to win a tight one?
I mean, if you play him out of position he's going to be ineffective, so neutering your first pair is an interesting way of saying it's a great defense.

Just stop please. If Boston had to switch him to the RD because Carlo went down
he isn't going to become "ineffective". He just will go from a top 4 very effective LD to a solid top 4 RD. What TF do you think he is going to forget how to pivot, make a backhand pass, gap up, put sticks in passing lanes, blocks shots on the RD side?
Hate to break the news to you but its like riding a bike, he isn't forgetting how to play RD.

Pretty sure he's joking.

Definitely in the cap era.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I’m not. I’m genuinely unimpressed. McAvoy I’m a big fan of but Carlo and Lindholm are just average to me. I admit I’m not familiar with Grezcylk. The hawks D core in the early 10’s spoiled me maybe. I don’t know

So Lindholm is an average D man? Just taking top 3 D-Men per team there are 96 Dmen. Lindholm worst case is above average amongst top 3dmen alone. That's means good luck coming up with 47 D men better than him.

How anyone can make an asinine statement like you did and be taken seriously is
beyond me.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
A decent portion of our fan base hate Gryz because he’s short. He might get bumped down in the lineup but he’ll still be in it unless he starts getting bullied like he has in some heavier playoff series.

Funny enough that same portion loves Clifton....whose only an inch taller. They also don't like Carlo despite him being the tallest guy on team at 6'6 :laugh:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I agree with you on Carlo, but Lindholm is spectacular; he'd be a 1D on half the teams in the league. Forbort is Seidenberg-like as a shutdown D. Gryz is a good second-pairing puck mover, and Clifton has turned into a solid second pair D. Orlov is close to being a #2 D, but about as good a #3 as there is.

Dumpster fire? Might be the most uninformed take I have ever seen, but in my defense I haven't followed you.

Seidenberg was much better making plays in his own end than Forbort due to having much better hands\stick skills.

Reactions: wintersej

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I am just not a Carlo fan: all that size and skating ability and he's the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man in his own end. After that AO hit, he hasn't been the same. I'll admit he's been a little better lately. Clifton plays third pair but has second pair ability. Forbort is a defensive beast, like Seidenberg, IMO.

Peace.

Carlo has actually completed 3 impact offensive plays and one defensive play going back to the Leafs game before the ASB I haven't seen him ever do in such a few amounts of games...lol.

He made a legitimate good pass to Pavel Zacha on Zacha's tying goal with about 9:30
left in the game at Dallas after the break. Scored two huge almost identical goals
against Toronto right before the break and against Seattle Thursday. He also pasted and staggered Palmieri last Saturday with a back facing body check behind the Boston net. If Carlo hits people like that more frequently he might find himself going against
players a little more leery of going to the boards with him. Now if he can just not fall down once a game not even being touched his game would be more impactful.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
“Especially when you consider the same picks for ROR” that sounds like your talking about what either team paid to me lol, I’m sure if the trade was reversed and the Bruins got O’Reilly and the Leafs got Orlov for the same package, you’d be saying the exact same thing. “Bruins overpayed for O’Reilly especially when you consider the same picks for Orlov”. I think both trades were great for each team personally, and hopefully we can go head to head round 2. I know Atleast one of our teams will still be playing then anyway.
I don’t know who you think you are quoting but again, not me.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
So Lindholm is an average D man? Just taking top 3 D-Men per team there are 96 Dmen. Lindholm worst case is above average amongst top 3dmen alone. That's means good luck coming up with 47 D men better than him.

How anyone can make an asinine statement like you did and be taken seriously is
beyond me.
Killer ,I think we have all have put out posts at one time maybe two that don't hit the mark , but take it from me do not waste your time responding to such a off the mark post and I am being kind I could say it differently , but you are better than that..............

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Maybe. Maybe some are overrating saying this is the greatest D core ever to grace the ice.

Bruins once again have a good deep forward lineup with a perennial selke winner and Montgomery’s system if it hasn’t changed much I know does feature a defensive priority from all lines to suffocate the opposing teams offense…. If true is that a major factor into the defense being so effective? Or is lindholm actually a Norris caliber Defenseman?

Feel free to help me understand if it’s worth it to you. I don’t see these players as anything more than run of the mill top 4 guys.
Maybe. Maybe some are overrating saying this is the greatest D core ever to grace the ice.

Bruins once again have a good deep forward lineup with a perennial selke winner and Montgomery’s system if it hasn’t changed much I know does feature a defensive priority from all lines to suffocate the opposing teams offense…. If true is that a major factor into the defense being so effective? Or is lindholm actually a Norris caliber Defenseman?

Feel free to help me understand if it’s worth it to you. I don’t see these players as anything more than run of the mill top 4 guys.

The more you keep doubling down the more you look like you're trolling. I challenged you to name 47 better D-Men than Lindholm.

Here are some who are categorically better by a decent amount at their best against Lindholm's best...Hedman, Josi, Makar, EK, Dahlin, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Fox, Slavin, Doughty, and Burns that's it. Better but not a lot Hamilton, Letang, Toews, Pelech, Theodore, AP, Morrisey, Sergachev, Chabot, Carlson, Ekholm, Hughes and Werenski. That's it for Dmen, I would rate better than Lindholm. Guys like Seider and Power right now are still too green to place ahead of him. Dobson,
Trouba, K. Miller don't have as complete games though Miller is absolutely trending there.

So Lindholm to me is a low level #1 not some "average top 4D.

Reactions: Ned Bouhalassa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad