Confirmed Trade: [BOS/WPG] Drew Stafford for conditional 6th

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Knowing the condition gives me some peace. I thought he could be a bet for habs with a 5th rounder but we would have to give a 3rd (we dont have a 4th) and I dont think he diserves a 3rd

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Stafford used to be bruin killer, maybe he'll find the same mojo being on the same ice as them, against the other team of course

For a 6th I like this deal big time, major upgrade over Hayes even without him finding his game here

And it becoming a 5th for the playoffs and 4th if we win a round is awesome in my book. Very pleased Donny didn't make any big moves, their pro scouting has been lacking, drafting excellent, so I'd retool your pro scouting over the spring and summer before I made any outside organizational deals that are considered splash signings or hockey trades

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
This is unbelievable, Jets have been a real puzzle this season. What were they doing in a must win game, tied late 5-5 with Minnesota, two back to back power plays, and the guy you just traded for a sixth rounder is on the ice for both critical PP's.......Jets don't score, and right after the second PP ends, Minny wins it 6-5.......That folks is coaching!!!

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
This is unbelievable, Jets have been a real puzzle this season. What were they doing in a must win game, tied late 5-5 with Minnesota, two back to back power plays, and the guy you just traded for a sixth rounder is on the ice for both critical PP's.......Jets don't score, and right after the second PP ends, Minny wins it 6-5.......That folks is coaching!!!

Could have used Trouba on the powerplay. :dunno:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Trying to bump up his trade value? :sarcasm:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Would've thought a second or third would've got it done, but like this because it frees up room for the young guys.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
IMO he played really well when first traded to the Jets. Perhaps history will repeat... especially if he wants another payday.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm thinking he plays with Bergeron and Marchand while they move Backes to be the defensive presence with Spooner who he has shown some chemistry earlier in the year and Vatrano, at least that is what I would try:laugh:.

I think they play him with Spooner. The 3rd and 4th line both play about the same amount of minutes. With the makeup of this roster, keep the best players in the top 6.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada

Never thought I'd hear 'critical' referenced with Stafford and PP. Who knew.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Could be a good depth pickup for Boston. This time of yr. sometimes the depth pickups can make the difference between playoffs or not.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Wow...why so cheap?

Drew Stafford 16-17 Season: 40 games, 4 goals, 9 assists, 13 points, -2.

Heard he's rebounding from an injury as well? (Jet's fans can chime in?)

Also factor in, lack of market, other options available (Vrbata?, rumors Bruins also going for Landeskog or Palat?)

Came down to Drew Stafford for conditional 6th or no move at all (For both Boston and Winnipeg, that seems like a fairly low cost, low risk, possible medium reward?)

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Wow...why so cheap?

He has a pretty big cap hit (4.35), so that might have limited the number of trading partners. Maybe his value would have increased if WPG retained salary, but who knows. I thought that he would fetch a 3rd round pick in return, but it was a buyer's market.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I'm fine with the fee paid.

There are a few plugs rotating in and out of the B's bottom 6 right now and with the recent surge in their play this could really help as Stafford, even with the dip in production, is probably an upgrade.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He has a pretty big cap hit (4.35), so that might have limited the number of trading partners. Maybe his value would have increased if WPG retained salary, but who knows. I thought that he would fetch a 3rd round pick in return, but it was a buyer's market.

In most years I think he'd fetch a 3rd. Combine an atrocious market for sellers with a lousy season from Stafford and you have it. The salary definitely hurts as well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
First game in, he played with Spooner and Vatrano

1st star, assisted on the Gwg, drew 3 penalties, had a goal waved off

He was flat out good. We haven't had a flat out good player in that spot in 2 years. It's night and day between him and Hayes

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
First game in, he played with Spooner and Vatrano

1st star, assisted on the Gwg, drew 3 penalties, had a goal waved off

He was flat out good. We haven't had a flat out good player in that spot in 2 years. It's night and day between him and Hayes

He should be good. He's playing for his NHL career. Wish him nothing but the best. Glad he's worked out so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad