Confirmed Trade: [BOS/WPG] Drew Stafford for conditional 6th

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Stafford's best fit on a team is where he can play 2nd line and help finish with good teammates who carry him. It allows you to put a more two way type on your 3rd line.

As a 4th liner he won't hurt you either.

3rd line with guys who can't score and you might as well have him sit for someone who won't cost you in that scenario.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What? :shakehead

No, he isn't.
First of all, Stafford is overall a negative value player when he's not producing and a train wreck defensively. Of course, if he does score he still is a valuable player.

And honestly, to me it's puzzling how little he accomplished considering the situations he was constantly put into. He got around 1 minute and 30 seconds of PP time per game, which is quite a bit for a player of his caliber. He also played quite a few minutes with players like Ehlers, Perreault, Scheifele and Wheeler and didn't really accomplish anything. It's not like he just wasn't put in a position to succeed.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery and it'd be good to see him do well on a new team. But I don't think it's unfair to call him really bad when it comes to what he's shown this season. Hopefully he manages to return to form.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes, he is.

He's a one dimensional scorer. He really can't do anything else, and this year, he wasn't even scoring, so, bingo bango, give us a 6th round pick.

Except you can't use this year to judge him as a player. He was injured for a long time and then was put on the 4th line when he got back and has stayed there because of our youth movement.

He's a serviceable scorer that can play top 9 minutes.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Per Cheveldayoff:

Bruins miss the playoffs or Stafford plays fewer then half the games: '18 6th
Stafford plays half the games and the Bruins make the playoffs: '18 5th
Stafford plays half the games and the Bruins win the first round: '18 4th

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I'm thinking he plays with Bergeron and Marchand while they move Backes to be the defensive presence with Spooner who he has shown some chemistry earlier in the year and Vatrano, at least that is what I would try:laugh:.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Drew Stafford final chat before heading to the Bruins

Topics included: The move to Boston. Where does he see himself fitting in with that team? How did he find out about the trade? What was today like? What will stand out for him from his time in Winnipeg? On not seeing it end like this. Was he surprised that he was traded? What will he miss most about Winnipeg? Does he feel like he's leaving a team on the upswing? Has he talked to Tyler Myers? How difficult is it on the family?

To listen click here.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
2cOqA9m.jpg

So it will be great to have a 4th more likely.

Read where Chevy stated if they make the playoffs it is a sixth, if they win one round it is a fourth, not sure what is correct.

Last edited:

JJ McCubbin

Apr 15, 2014
I like this for all involved.

Jets get a mid/late round pick for Stafford and open up the spot to one of the younger guys. Bruins get a guy who can provide some scoring if put with the right linemates without giving up much. Stafford goes from probably battling Copp and Dano for 6 or 7 minutes a night to a situation where he can hopefully have a good end to the season (and postseason) giving himself a much better chance of getting a decent contract in the summer.

I hope it works out for him. This season has been frustrating but he helped the team into the playoffs the year he came over from the Sabres. It would be nice to see him do well with the Bruins and chip in with a few timely goals.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The truth of the matter is that even if I don't think too highly of Stafford, if he's used as a replacement of Jimmy Hayes he's going to be much better and hence it's a solid move.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If he can't crack the top 9 with the B's he's useless. Chevy got what he could for him, so if anyone lost this deal, it was Sweeney who said nothing was imminent.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Stafford's best fit on a team is where he can play 2nd line and help finish with good teammates who carry him. It allows you to put a more two way type on your 3rd line.

3rd line with guys who can't score and you might as well have him sit for someone who won't cost you in that scenario.

Playing with Bergeron and Marchand might be the ideal spot but I don't see that happening. He will be on the 3rd line with Spooner and Vatrano .

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If he can't crack the top 9 with the B's he's useless. Chevy got what he could for him, so if anyone lost this deal, it was Sweeney who said nothing was imminent.

No one lost this deal. Jets get a scratch ticket for a UFA they weren't going to sign and wasn't working out for them. Boston sticks with its plan to do nothing/very little and has a viable replacement for Hayes (Stafford cannot be worse). Stafford gets a chance on a better suited team to return to form and get a UFA payday.

If Stafford stinks up joint (I actually think he'll fit pretty well) it'll be a six as they wont play him 50%.

You've seen the odds of a 6th making NHL right? Let alone being a valuable player.

Sweeney didn't exactly bet the Crown Jewels on a riverboat gambling drink fest.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I'm thinking he plays with Bergeron and Marchand while they move Backes to be the defensive presence with Spooner who he has shown some chemistry earlier in the year and Vatrano, at least that is what I would try:laugh:.
This makes alot of sense and could make for a huge improvement for the Bruins. He doesnt have to be the man on a line that will be almost completely driven by Bergeron and Marchand. Backes on the Spooner line would be a HUGE upgrade over Hayes.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA

Bruins third line can really score. Spooner and Vatrano. It sounds like Stafford would be a perfect fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad