Confirmed Trade: [BOS/NJD] Reilly Walsh for Shane Bowers

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Which Ryan O'Reilly?

r.jpg

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
I honestly thought Bowers was still in the Av's organization. I felt so bad for him, in his first NHL game he got injured early in the first then never played in the NHL again for the Av's. Hard to think he would live up to the expectations though.

Guess we traded him for Kinkaid at the deadline this past season.

Reactions: biturbo19

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Walsh is better with higher upside, I think the Bruins win this trade, if you can call it that with guys like this. Walsh could conceivably be a pp2 kinda guy
I don't think the Devils were really trying to win this trade tbh, this just seems like them trying to do a kid in the system a solid since he's blocked on the depth chart. He was never gonna crack the lineup in NJ, so why not send him home where the Bruins are in need of RHD depth.

Either way I like the move for the Bs. If he plays in the NHL, Walsh will get very shelter minutes since we already have McAvoy and Carlo taking all the hardest minutes. Should be a good spot for him to adjust to the NHL level.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Took me a second the process which players was going which way with this trade. I had forgotten where Bowers had actually ended up recently.

Seems like pretty much an AHL organizational depth trade. Seems like Walsh has also pretty much stalled out unable to make that jump to the NHL level. But Nemec and Hughes pretty much guaranteed he was gonna be blocked for the Devils. They weren't gonna have room for another young offensive defenceman in the mix.

Still surprises me that Bowers hasn't panned out as anything. Thought in the draft that he was pretty much a lock to at least become a solid bottom-6 Center.

Anyway...next up, Boston make a different Reilly-related trade?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I honestly thought Bowers was still in the Av's organization. I felt so bad for him, in his first NHL game he got injured early in the first then never played in the NHL again for the Av's. Hard to think he would live up to the expectations though.

Guess we traded him for Kinkaid at the deadline this past season.

That's who it was! I totally remember that trade for Kinkaid now. I remember it seemed kinda weird to me at the time, in so much as a minor AHL/depth shuffle even possibly can.

Anyway. Ultimately turning Kinkaid into Walsh isn't a terrible piece of business i suppose. Though it feels like he's still kind of blocked with the Bruins. Totally redundant and behind Ian Mitchell on the depth chart for that sort of sheltered cheap 3rd pairing RD role. Less blocked than he was with the Devils though probably.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
wtf are the Briuns gonna do with a trio of younger but not quite NHL caliber right dmen?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Syracuse Crunch fans are more than happy to see Walsh leaving the division as whether he was playing for Binghamton or Utica, he seemed to play VERY WELL against Syracuse.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So does this mean Graves isn’t resigning?

More than likely Graves will cash in this weekend with somebody else. Walsh was probably independent of Graves, more just giving a waiver eligible guy a fresh start somewhere else. Devils might be in the market for a boring stay at home 3RD to keep the spot warm for Simon Nemec.

LD: Siegenthaler-L.Hughes-Bahl-Smith
RD: Hamilton-Marino-tbd-Nemec

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Bowers career has stalled and surprised he's traded again. Late season pickup, I thought he would have lasted until pre-season.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bowers career has stalled and surprised he's traded again. Late season pickup, I thought he would have lasted until pre-season.
Also considering the Bruins absolute lack of depth at C... any position to roll the dice with at, why would they give up another?

I in no way think Bowers is gonna be a "one that got away", but strictly positionally, Bruins C prospect depth is the one lacking.

As for defenseman they have 6 signed, and now one less forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00