Waived: [BOS] D Jakub Zboril waived by the Bruins (cleared)

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I could legitimately see the Wild make a claim here. Brodin was just put on LTIR today. They called up Mermis and Hunt from IA. Our entire bottom pair already needed to be replaced pre Brodin injury and they are still developing most of the prospect D. If he needs a shot, this would be a possible opportunity.

Edit: and Guerin has shown previous Wire usage mild successes in Pitlick and Steel that indicate he doesn’t mind going to that well.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
1 13 Boston Jakub Zboril D
1 14 Boston Jake DeBrusk L
1 15 Boston Zachary Senyshyn R

Next three pics:

1 16 NY Islanders Mathew Barzal C
1 17 Winnipeg Kyle Connor L
1 18 Ottawa Thomas Chabot D

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Did you know Boston had 3 straight picks in the 2015 Draft which was the best draft in over a decade and they took two busts and Jake DeBrusk who is OK? Had they drafted better, it's scary how many Cups they might have won. I know I'm the first to mention it.
You just forgot to say they could've had Connor, Chabot and Barzal instead

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
took them an insanely long time to give up on him considering 2015 was so long ago
It's so long that Barzal is a grizzled vet ready to retire soon while Bruins were still banking for Zboril to at least become a spare D in NHL

Boston does these questionable things. (see Joe Thornton trade). But then, they make up for it with other moves and then dominate the standings, win Cups. I sit here as a Sharks fan and I envy them so much.
They only won one cup in the last 3 decades bro. Not sure where you got cups from unless you are going back to Orr days.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Next three pics:

Hard to believe that this has never been mentioned on this site until now. Great research job sxvert....you should be very proud of yourself. :thumbu:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Next three pics:

Oilers acquire Reinhart
Isles 16th over and 33rd

Some very good players went around both those picks we moved for a guy that ended up being claimed in expansion draft two years later lol.

But back to the Bruins they did have a pretty successful draft that year all things considered. Blew two 1st, but were pretty good in 2nd with Carlo, and Lauzon and up until recently their 3rd rounder in Vladar was suppose to be the Flames saviour. As I was told before by Flames fans.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Next three pics:

If they had just taken any one of those next 3 picks they would have won the Stanley cup

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Weren't they trying to make a trade with those 3 firsts? Were they trying for first overall, or for a vet??
They wanted to move up to get Hanifin.

Edmonton/Buffalo weren't moving out of their picks. One rumor was that Boston offered Dougie Hamilton to Arizona for 3rd overall (to get Hanifin) and the Coyotes countered with their 2016 1st instead. Moving into the top 5 would have been difficult. Toronto had preliminary talks with Columbus about trading down from #4 to #8 contingent on their guy (Marner) not being on the board. Columbus was willing to pay a small price to move up from #8 to get Hanifin and they apparently got stonewalled by Carolina at #5.

Reactions: Laus723

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Zboril is slow and makes poor decisions. He is not an NHL defenseman. However, he has also played poorly this year in the AHL after playing erratically, but reasonably well previously. Good luck to him. My guess, he winds up going home and playing there.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Your memory sounds flawed.

DeBrusk was very much slated for the 1st round. At least according to TSN (Button), McKeens, SportsNet (Cox), Future Considerations, Hockey Prospectus, ISS, TSN (McKenzie)...like it was 5-10 picks early, but they were not scrambling on DeBrusk. Most had him around 20, and NHL.com had him at 19.

Even Senyshyn was a fast riser coming into the draft. NHL.com, for instance, had him as an early 2nd rounder and they had him as a late 2nd rounder at the midterm report: 2015 Draft Prospect Rankings

Senyshyn instead of Barzal and Vaak instead of Thomas hurt.

I get not liking Barzal's game as a perimeter passer. But my impression is that Thomas was their guy in 2017 going into the draft but a scouting banging on the table and arguing passionately for Vaak made them change course. That one hurts more.
Excellent post, agree with all of your points, but if you keep being logical, you'll be in trouble here. ;););)

Zboril was the next highest-rated dman when it was Boston's turn and he was taken where he was projected.

Rumor was that Edmonton was picking Senyshyn with the pick following the 3 Boston picks, and they then traded the pick to the Islanders. Rumor was that Toronto was very high on him and was taking him with their next pick.

Third rumor was that Sweens was offering at least 2, if not all 3 first rounders, to draft Hanifin. He then tried to trade up to get Werenski or Provorov, according to rumors.

I can't imagine that Clode would ever have played Barzal.

It easy, in retrospect, for anyone to second guess a draft pick in any sport. I won't do it. However, IMO, the real vice of that draft was picking for positional need instead of the best player available. Cardinal sin of drafting. The second drafting vice of this organization was/is their obsession with "200-foot" players, and yet, they've been ok with having players who only are good in their own zone and totally lost in the offensive zone. Makes no sense to me.

Anyone can learn to check and be a 200-foot player, if they are willing to work at it. Grapes had amazing results with Middleton and McNab, and nobody would have believed it possible. It wasn't easy. You can't teach people to have great hands, maybe a little, but not very much.

Nevertheless, they have excelled at drafting outside of the first round.

When I first glanced at this tweet, I thought it as OUR Dom who was on waivers!!!

OK, who put him on waivers?

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Not surprised... Masin is playing for the NT today. Maybe Zboril can join him soon?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad