Confirmed Trade: [BOS/CBJ] Andrew Peeke for Jakub Zboril and 2027 3rd round pick

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Well, it did in the fact that they could have been a super team the past several years had they nailed their 2015 picks like they did in 2014 and 2016.

But now, years later, we don't talk about Chabot the same way he was talked about 3 seasons ago. Connor, yes. Barzal, feels like he should produce more than he does. Think those were the 3 guys people harped on Bos passing up over the years.
Add to that too is the fact no one was taking the #1 centre spot away from Bergeron and possibly the #2 spot from Krecji till they retired (this year). So would Barzal have stayed around and been happy for 9 years as the 3rd centre or winger?

They reached on one guy that year and it was Senyshyn. Zboril was projected ahead of anyone they passed on and Jake paid off. Another fact was that Sweeney was given the job just before the draft and had no time to prep for it. You win some and lose some.

Getting McAvoy the 4th picked defenseman in the 2016 draft with the 14th pick worked out. Looking back at that draft the top 5 were Laine #2, Dubois #3, Jesse Puljujärvi #4, Olli Juolevi #5, showing what a crapshoot the whole thing is. Getting Swayman in the 4th round (111th pick) in 2017 was another win, nine goalies were picked before him.

As for the trade, the Bruins learned a few years ago that it is never a bad thing to have extra defensemen in the playoffs. Peeke has some size and needs a scenario change. They have a way of getting players to adapt and perform. Good luck to Zboril, I think he is still a bottom-pairing guy in the NHL, injuries and depth never helped him.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Boston would have another cup if they didn’t screw up that draft.
Not really.
B’s would look a lot different as their 2016 draft onwards wouldn’t be the same as it was

I’m fine with drafting McAvoy a year later over having chabot. Barzal/Connor would be nice to have tho.

Anywho, Peeke’s looked fine in the last two
games. Zboril get any games with Columbus? Or he down in AHL?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not really.
B’s would look a lot different as their 2016 draft onwards wouldn’t be the same as it was

I’m fine with drafting McAvoy a year later over having chabot. Barzal/Connor would be nice to have tho.

Anywho, Peeke’s looked fine in the last two
games. Zboril get any games with Columbus? Or he down in AHL?
AHL

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Who’s he playing with?
The pairing with Wotherspoon Is interesting, I figured they’d have trouble moving the puck out but that hasn’t been an issue so far. Both play a pretty similar game, I’d say Peeke is more aggressive overall. Just has to be a little more judicious about when he pinches, and I expect that to be coached into his game. But both of them are hard to play against. Finish hits, block shots. Been an effective 3rd pairing

Reactions: The don godfather

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
The pairing with Wotherspoon Is interesting, I figured they’d have trouble moving the puck out but that hasn’t been an issue so far. Both play a pretty similar game, I’d say Peeke is more aggressive overall. Just has to be a little more judicious about when he pinches, and I expect that to be coached into his game. But both of them are hard to play against. Finish hits, block shots. Been an effective 3rd pairing
Following up on this post - to the CBJ fans, was Peeke prone to pinching a lot in Columbus?

Bruins system relies on D pinching a lot. Not sure if h naturally plays this way or if it’s him adjusting to this system and not having perfected his timing yet.

Reactions: CDJ

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Following up on this post - to the CBJ fans, was Peeke prone to pinching a lot in Columbus?

Bruins system relies on D pinching a lot. Not sure if h naturally plays this way or if it’s him adjusting to this system and not having perfected his timing yet.
Efforts were made to teach him how. His issues with timing have always been his biggest source of trouble.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Good to know as that’s been the most obvious issue after a few games.
What killed us with him is that we've got too many kids still learning how to play a full structured game and so those gaffes would frequently be catastrophic. In a more veteran-backed structured system I imagine they're just "yep, that's why he's bottom pairing".

And if he learns better while he's there, then, well, so much more awesome.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
He had a PK shift yesterday where he blocked like three or four shots, so that was pretty awesome. He also had a giveaway that resulted in a goal, but it was awfully bad luck, I mean Desauliers scored, so that had to be pretty random.

Overall looks pretty solid, we need him to be a dependable fifth option, so not a lot of pressure either.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
He had a PK shift yesterday where he blocked like three or four shots, so that was pretty awesome. He also had a giveaway that resulted in a goal, but it was awfully bad luck, I mean Desauliers scored, so that had to be pretty random.

Overall looks pretty solid, we need him to be a dependable fifth option, so not a lot of pressure either.
Guy is a warrior. He’ll get in front of anything. I hope he works out for the bruins.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What killed us with him is that we've got too many kids still learning how to play a full structured game and so those gaffes would frequently be catastrophic. In a more veteran-backed structured system I imagine they're just "yep, that's why he's bottom pairing".

And if he learns better while he's there, then, well, so much more awesome.
Pretty much- Wotherspoon plays a really safe game too so it turns out they may just be perfect for each other

Reactions: Viqsi

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
So Boston get the last laugh on the infamous 2015 draft - yeah they missed on a few big names, but in the long run grabbing Zboril gave them the dman they needed in Peeke.

Yeah, could have definitely been better, but with him, Debrusk, and Carlo still in the lineup, not a complete bust. Wish we still had Lauzon too.

Reactions: CDJ

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
So Boston get the last laugh on the infamous 2015 draft - yeah they missed on a few big names, but in the long run grabbing Zboril gave them the dman they needed in Peeke.
Zboril looked alright at first, had serious NHL potential but terrible injury luck made him miss substantial time where he could've been developing.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Pinch timing and outlet passes were always the challenge with him. He will handle the puck like a handgrenade and really struggled with the decision on getting the puck out of the zone efficiently and adequately. That was his biggest drawback. He was encouraged to pinch but his timing seemed to need work and it wasnt' that often - though he did have some success.

He's a bottom pair guy that we in Columbus hoped could be a top 4 guy once developed. Size, decent skater, blocks shots and RHD. He just didn't seem to take off. Maybe he'll be to Boston what Nylander has been to Columbus thus far. A nice story on both parts and hope it works out for them both. I liked Peeke but he just couldn't seem to put it together.

Reactions: zaYG, CDJ and Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4