Confirmed with Link: Borowiecki signs three-year extension

WhiteLight*

I like Boro. He's an NHLer. Not an ideal top 4 but can give you an awesome 15 minutes from the 3rd pair. Plus he's fun to watch

Too many D now. Yeah it's good to have 8 NHL D, but you can't keep 8 for the whole year

Cowen's potential is too big to move. Phillips is locked in. So it's Wiercioch or Methot.

Ottawa needs the skill on the backend and the left handed PP presence. Wiercioch is raw and still has little experience... So we're seeing growing pains. Even so, he's still not far behind Methot.

Methot is the classic 2nd pair D-man. Not enough skill or hockey sense for the 1st pair

I don't think Wier will ever be a 1st pair guy, but I think he can be a better 2nd pair contributor than Methot. Add Methot's impending UFA status, and Wiercioch should be the guy to keep. Ottawa desperately needs his left handed skill

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Gryba
Phillips/Borowiecki - Ceci
Phillips/Borowiecki

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
So yes it's fair to have question marks right now but it's clear that this extension is an attempt to save some $ down the road. I won't go too far in the rest of your post because that's kind of another subject and way too long to debate. Very surprising extension but the purpose of it is eveident : they have faith in him and think he will be worth more than 1.1 in the last 3 years of his contract (only makes 600 000$ this year)

That Boro's lack of puck skills, over-zealousness for hits, and penchant for taking penalties galore aren't going to help a back-end that often couldn't get the puck out of the defensive zone to save their lives last year (not to mention a team that took waaaay too many penalties)? That we're relying on Karlsson and a 20 year old Ceci to do that alone? That the game is changing and requiring more mobility and puck skills on D than ever? That's perfectly on topic given this extension signals management thinking that having a bunch of guys who can hit but not do much else is good enough. That's assuming they can get the hit and not just be constantly chasing the opposing players. Hitting and effort (or more specifically, a style of play that makes effort seem more apparent) are fine, but if you can't skate well and at least make a pass, what's the point?

Last edited:

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
They also thought Greening would be worth a cap hit $2.65 million and Cowen $3.1 million. Jury is still out on them, but neither looks good right now. Though at least they each played a full season in the NHL before getting those extensions.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like Boro. He's an NHLer. Not an ideal top 4 but can give you an awesome 15 minutes from the 3rd pair. Plus he's fun to watch

Too many D now. Yeah it's good to have 8 NHL D, but you can't keep 8 for the whole year

Cowen's potential is too big to move. Phillips is locked in. So it's Wiercioch or Methot.

Ottawa needs the skill on the backend and the left handed PP presence. Wiercioch is raw and still has little experience... So we're seeing growing pains. Even so, he's still not far behind Methot.

Methot is the classic 2nd pair D-man. Not enough skill or hockey sense for the 1st pair

I don't think Wier will ever be a 1st pair guy, but I think he can be a better 2nd pair contributor than Methot. Add Methot's impending UFA status, and Wiercioch should be the guy to keep. Ottawa desperately needs his left handed skill

Cowen - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Gryba
Phillips/Borowiecki - Ceci
Phillips/Borowiecki

I tend to agree with your assessment of the skills of our d men. I would not like to keep 8 d men on the roster but the cost is relatively low this year if you use Borowiecki and Ceci contract amounts. Of course, it is better to have them all playing. Ceci could be sent down without losing him, or a trade could be in the works. With trades, the one who is dealt is difficult to predict as it depends on what is offered for the specific player.

The roster size limit is 23 so that could include 2 extra d man plus 1 extra forward. Right now, Lazar, Stone, Neil, Chiasson and Condra are competing for 3 RW spots. I expect Lazar may get a few games at the start of the season before being sent to Junior. So we would have 2 extra forwards, one of which, Stone, could be sent to Binghamton until Lazar gets his 9 games in. Some trades of 4th line forwards could free up a spot or two.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
I don't have time to read all the replies, but did it occur to anyone here that this is an extension and not a new contract for *this* year? In other words, *NOTHING* has changed for this season. We already knew we had 7D on 1-ways, not counting Ceci.

Extension, yes this is the issue. It wasn't needed yet, and now Borowiecki is either same or longer termed than everyone on the team except Karlsson. This premature signing makes it perplexing.

And all the negativity from one of the early replies how they hope the Sens brass have faith in Boro since he (the poster) had none? OMG, who the hell are you to disagree with people being paid good money to know what they are doing? I've seen most of the games Mark's played and he is a legit NHL player. On top of that he busts his ass in games and *practice*, which is nothing but a good thing to a team that's become a bit of a country club under previous "leadership". Luke though enough of this "kid" to give him the 'C' in Bingo.

Welcome to a forum since you must be new to them if you didn't realize this is where we state our opinions of agreeing or disagreeing with people that make money deciding on the Senators team. By the way, I don't think anyone, and yes I will use that blanket statement of anyone, thinks Borowiecki isn't an NHL calibre hockey player. He has more work to do on his puck skills, as has been mentioned by several people, but he can adequately do the job, as a depth guy, right now. The problem is, and again I will use the word extension, is the length and timing of this extension.

Oh, and he'll be the first Sens D-man since A-Train to actually block a shot not-accidentally.

Cowen and Methot might disagree with that.

Blocks, blocks per game, blocks per 60 min TOI, sorted by blocks per 60 min TOI;
From sportingcharts.com

Mark Borowiecki OTT 13 1.00 4.79
Jared Cowen OTT 99 1.46 4.26
Chris Phillips OTT 95 1.36 4.24
Marc Methot OTT 110 1.47 4.05
Eric Gryba OTT 60 1.05 3.61
Cody Ceci OTT 49 1.00 3.49
Patrick Wiercioch OTT 48 0.91 3.32
Joe Corvo OTT 24 0.96 3.29
Erik Karlsson OTT 101 1.23 2.73

This is $1.1M AAV -- a bargain. How much did we pay Corvo last year to sit on the bench? Be thankful we didn't spend $5M on a past-his-prime Orpik. Worst case, this would be a very easy contract to move but, frankly, I hope it doesn't come to that.

Corvo made $900k last year, and this is a point many have made, depth D are available every year. As for moving this contract, if the contract is so undesirable that it is a defence against waiver wire poaching, then it is a hindrance to trade as well.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
Blocks, blocks per game, blocks per 60 min TOI, sorted by blocks per 60 min TOI;
From sportingcharts.com

I wanted to touch on this again. For those that didn't notice, and for those that did, Karlsson had the second most blocks for a defenceman last year, but since he is in the offence zone so much, and PK's less than other D, his blocks per 60 TOI is less. Resorted by total blocks;

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Also keep in mind, one year into Boro's extension Phillips will likely be retired, and Gryba will be a UFA who possibly could go else where.

We also do not know the status of Methot, so talks with him could have also stalled, and he could also possibly be gone.

That's between 2-3 of the 7 defensemen Ottawa can carry long term all possibly gone. Maybe one gets replaced by Englund if you go by what they said about him at the draft.

This signing makes a lot of sense.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I don't have time to read all the replies, but did it occur to anyone here that this is an extension and not a new contract for *this* year? In other words, *NOTHING* has changed for this season. We already knew we had 7D on 1-ways, not counting Ceci.

And all the negativity from one of the early replies how they hope the Sens brass have faith in Boro since he (the poster) had none? OMG, who the hell are you to disagree with people being paid good money to know what they are doing? I've seen most of the games Mark's played and he is a legit NHL player. On top of that he busts his ass in games and *practice*, which is nothing but a good thing to a team that's become a bit of a country club under previous "leadership". Luke though enough of this "kid" to give him the 'C' in Bingo.

Actually, it could change things this year, as it's a clear indication management doesn't think he's a 7th d-man. Could force the coaching staff to play him more than he deserves. If he earns it, great, but if he's plain old bad, then it'll be frustrating to watch.

As for who the hell the poster is, a fan who potentially pays money to see the team and buy its products? And just because a person in the hockey business doesn't mean they have no right to criticize a team and/or players. Critical thinking and watching the team and players play is perfectly enough to voice an opinion (heck, many bloggers, who are far more reliable than the like of Garrioch, Brennan, and even Scanlan and Warren, do it as a hobby on the side from day-jobs). And given how this team's D performed last year, and management giving players like Greening, Phillips, and Cowen extensions that are questionable at best, there's lots to speculate and debate about management's competency.

IMO, the problem isn't so much a country-club leadership, as you say. It's more that these veterans (Phillips and Neil) are over the hill. They're still trying, but just can't cut it. And who is going to respect their leadership if they can't pull their own weight on the ice?

Also, some clarification please. When you say you've watched most of Boro's games, you mean in the AHL, right? That's great and all, but the NHL requires more than being good at one or two things, like hitting and fighting, especially in this day and age. Hell, Kaspars Daugavins looked great in the AHL as a secondary scorer and sparkplug, but he was a fringe player in the NHL. As for Boro's NHL games, he looked alright. Played ridiculously sheltered minutes, and a low number of them per game to boot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That Boro's lack of puck skills, over-zealousness for hits, and penchant for taking penalties galore aren't going to help a back-end that often couldn't get the puck out of the defensive zone to save their lives last year (not to mention a team that took waaaay too many penalties)? That we're relying on Karlsson and a 20 year old Ceci to do that alone? That the game is changing and requiring more mobility and puck skills on D than ever? That's perfectly on topic given this extension signals management thinking that having a bunch of guys who can hit but not do much else is good enough. That's assuming they can get the hit and not just be constantly chasing the opposing players. Hitting and effort (or more specifically, a style of play that makes effort seem more apparent) are fine, but if you can't skate well and at least make a pass, what's the point?

Well, maybe you noticed but contact is allowed in the NHL, you can actually recover the puck with physical play. Boro can also skate and pass, I don't see any problem with that. His puck skills and offensive instincts are limited for the NHL level, Sens won't expect much offense from him, he will be there for physical shutdown defense. IMO, he eventually fills the Phillips/Gryba voids who will both be gone sooner than later

They also thought Greening would be worth a cap hit $2.65 million and Cowen $3.1 million. Jury is still out on them, but neither looks good right now. Though at least they each played a full season in the NHL before getting those extensions.

Like you said, jury is still out. I'm not a big fan of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Considering that Greening's salary was $950 000 and that Cowen's was $1 500 000 last year, they have NEVER been overpaid so I'm ready to wait and see. IMO, Cowen's contract will look good before it ends but not sure about Greening, I think depth chart is about to surpass him, leaving him with not a lot of "opportunity"

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I kinda like this move. All we've heard about Boro is that he's a gem in the locker room. That's exactly what we need, more guys like that. This is a #6/#7 dman contract - exactly about where he projects to fit in. I think he's shown he can be capable of that minor role.

If we're changing the culture of the team, these are the types of guys we want in the room. Another good summer move by Murray (MacArthur).

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Note: Volchenkov will be making over $1.4 M per year on his buyout alone over the same time frame. All of a sudden, $1.1M for Boro doesn't seem so bad.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Well, maybe you noticed but contact is allowed in the NHL, you can actually recover the puck with physical play. Boro can also skate and pass, I don't see any problem with that. His puck skills and offensive instincts are limited for the NHL level, Sens won't expect much offense from him, he will be there for physical shutdown defense. IMO, he eventually fills the Phillips/Gryba voids who will both be gone sooner than later

Like you said, jury is still out. I'm not a big fan of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Considering that Greening's salary was $950 000 and that Cowen's was $1 500 000 last year, they have NEVER been overpaid so I'm ready to wait and see. IMO, Cowen's contract will look good before it ends but not sure about Greening, I think depth chart is about to surpass him, leaving him with not a lot of "opportunity"

Did you watch Cowen last year? He belonged in the AHL. So yes, I'll say his $1.5 million was overpaying him. Same for Greening. Belonged in the AHL the way he played.

And yes, using the body to separate opponents from the puck is great, but Boro goes for the big hits at the expense of defensive positioning and puck retrieval. He goes for the big hits for show. Then there's his penchant for fighting and taking minor penalties. That's not good, especially for a defenceman in this day and age. Even worse when you consider this team had a problem taking too many penalties last year.

As for the "what have you done for me lately" attitude, let's remember Borowiecki hasn't even played a full season in the NHL. And yet they give him an extension and decent pay raise based on having good feelings about him and liking him as a person? In a results based business, that's bad management.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
With a young team like we have it is important to have guys like boro around. guys who will do whatever it takes, and who stand up for team mates. it can affect the whole team in a positive way. not just about skill with the puck.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
I look forward to watching everyone change direction after the watch Boro play for a full season.

Let's break this down. You have three puck movers (Karlsson, Wiercioch, Ceci) and five stay at home guys (Methot, Cowen, Gryba, Phillips, Boro).

Down in the minors you have puck movers (Claesson, Wideman) you may be able to include Wikstrand in that mix. For stay at home guys you have Sdao right now. Rutkowski is a project but is more of a two-way guy.

As it stands right now, losing a player like Methot to trade who is UFA and has value would be a smart move. You have another big bruiser in Sdao coming up behind Boro, Ben Harpur is around the corner.

The point here, is that the team is well balanced and has the ability to back fill with prospects if needed.

I have a strong feeling that you will find Cowen, Gryba, Boro, and Sdao as the defensive d-men core in a few years when Phillips retires. Trading Methot to get a solid winger or even picks at this point would make sense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did you watch Cowen last year? He belonged in the AHL. So yes, I'll say his $1.5 million was overpaying him. Same for Greening. Belonged in the AHL the way he played.
Cowen certainly had his ups and downs last year. I'd argue you're being too harsh on a guy who managed to be an even player on a dreadful defence, put up his best pts per game, had a career high in goals, lead the D in hits, and had the 2nd lowest ES GA/60 all while logging over 20 mins per night.

And yes, using the body to separate opponents from the puck is great, but Boro goes for the big hits at the expense of defensive positioning and puck retrieval. He goes for the big hits for show. Then there's his penchant for fighting and taking minor penalties. That's not good, especially for a defenceman in this day and age. Even worse when you consider this team had a problem taking too many penalties last year.

As for the "what have you done for me lately" attitude, let's remember Borowiecki hasn't even played a full season in the NHL. And yet they give him an extension and decent pay raise based on having good feelings about him and liking him as a person? In a results based business, that's bad management.

It's called taking a gamble. Had he showed the results, Boro's contract would have been much more expensive. These guys are in the business of predicting how guys will perform based on play at a lower level and the current level. They've used their wealth of infomation (having seen him play, practice in the gym, ect far more than anyone here can claim) to make an assesement. Time will tell if their assesement is correct, but given they are paying him in line with what a 6/7 D tends to make in this league, even if he flakes out it's not a huge risk. Given the org has been calling him NHL ready for 2 years now, I think the odds are good he bottoms out as a bottom pair journeyman, in which case his contract is fair value.

sebas85

Feb 28, 2014
It's called taking a gamble. Had he showed the results, Boro's contract would have been much more expensive. These guys are in the business of predicting how guys will perform based on play at a lower level and the current level. They've used their wealth of infomation (having seen him play, practice in the gym, ect far more than anyone here can claim) to make an assesement. Time will tell if their assesement is correct, but given they are paying him in line with what a 6/7 D tends to make in this league, even if he flakes out it's not a huge risk. Given the org has been calling him NHL ready for 2 years now, I think the odds are good he bottoms out as a bottom pair journeyman, in which case his contract is fair value.

This post is way too rational and makes way too much sense for this thread.

Trying to figure out all of the over reactions about this deal. 20 year old fanboys are jealous of local kid working hard and living out their dream while making good coin...honestly not sure I can come up with much else. Its 1.1 million dollars a year...wont make or break this team regardless of how he pans out.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wasnt Boro even for minor penalties for and against in the NHL? Just feel like pointing that out for all the people who say he'll be a penalty machine. Maybe he can adjust his style to the NHL

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
It's less than 2% of the team's internal budget.

WHO CARES?!

Great for this kid. Hard work and character being rewarded is a positive step for this organization. We needed more toughness. Even still we need more.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Not that I like our enforcer on the back end, but he can handle himself and that means less of Chris Neil is required on some nights.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not that I like our enforcer on the back end, but he can handle himself and that means less of Chris Neil is required on some nights.

he's not our 'enforcer', just an addition of toughness

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

That is definitely one of the upsides to the deal

With Boro in the lineup there's absolutely no need whatsoever for Neil to be dressed

Not having Neil in the line-up but instead as the 13th forward would be wicked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad