Boomer Esiason

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Leave the daughter out of the discussion.

C'mon that's half the fun of chirping;)

Anyone here play ice hockey against his Wasp team? That team was pretty crappy and he hyped it up to no end with his going away for tournaments and whatnot. Also he is one of the biggest ankle benders I've ever seen out there. Sad thing is he thinks he's actually good out there.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If that's what he was getting at then he has a point. So far, this team's been one of the best in the league - not the division, not the conference, but the league - and we can't fill the arena on weeknights. I understand that there's usually a lag between a team's improvement and fans coming back, but considering how much of a turnaround the Isles have done, coupled with this being the last year in Nassau, the Coliseum should be at or near capacity most nights. The fact that they're still in the bottom 5 for attendance percentage is disappointing.

That's it in a nutshell. Are you expecting a walkup on a weeknight of roughly 8,000 people to go with the existing season ticket base to get the building sold out?

E_Godard

Sep 21, 2006
Section 103
Our attendance is up. Fans are actually cheering and getting into games. If anyone is complaining, they have as much a clue as the fair weather fans that just started showing up to our games.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Meh.. I watch Boomer and Carton every morning from around 6:30-7:15 from when I was up to when I go to school. They joke around and whatnot. Boomer is big hockey fan and he TALKS about it. What about last week when all the New York/Jersey teams won and he said how well all of them are playing?

He's a Ranger fan.. He is going to say negative things about the Islanders. How many of us were laughing at how MSG was filled up with people in suits?

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
If that's what he was getting at then he has a point. So far, this team's been one of the best in the league - not the division, not the conference, but the league - and we can't fill the arena on weeknights. I understand that there's usually a lag between a team's improvement and fans coming back, but considering how much of a turnaround the Isles have done, coupled with this being the last year in Nassau, the Coliseum should be at or near capacity most nights. The fact that they're still in the bottom 5 for attendance percentage is disappointing.

This goes right to one of the root causes of why teams in suburbia have an uphill climb. For some perspective, when the Islanders were in their hey day Long Island still had companies like Fairchild Republic, Gruman, Eaton AIL that not only employed thousands at good paying blue collar jobs but we're also close to NVMC. I remember the Gruman Islanders fan club or seeing guys with Fairchild shirts on the beer line. I think today for many going on a weeknight is more difficult and surely more expensive.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Why is that a bad thing? I wear suits to the game because I come from work and I wear a suit to work! Why is that bad?!?!

:cry:

I don't think everyone hates people who wear suits to games BUT when your rival has the majority of people wearing suits because they're not even hockey fans is different. Making fun of your rival is fun I guess. Ranger fans used to do it do me all the time but now whenever we talk hockey I always have a little smile while talking I can't possibly hide.

Oh the Rangers lost?

Well maybe if your best offensive player wasn't 38 you would win some more:laugh:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I love the suits vs. real fans argument. To the team, it's all about the revenue. To the fanbase experience, that's different.

Isles have little revenue because it's mainly 'real fans' that have 'cap' on spending vs. the corporate dollar that pads the revenue. The Isles have ALWAYS lacked the latter. It's a MAJOR reason they are moving to BC.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Fan base sucks? No, not exactly Boomer.

If you had said our fan base was small, then I could live with that, but the loyal Isles fans are just as good as any fans in hockey...

Hell, the Coli is louder on a weeknight than MSG is sold out on a weekend.

I heard it live this morning he was NOT talking about quality at all.

I don't think what boomer said was bad at all he pretty much called us out for coming up short of selling out against a divisional rival. He did nothing but compliment the teams play saying we need to go out and support. Honestly I'm not even a boomer fan but he gives hockey and us the most air time (as little as it is) than most people on that station.

People are just being sensitive and if he wasn't a known ranger fan there is literally 0 whining about it.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009

I don't think what boomer said was bad at all he pretty much called us out for coming up short of selling out against a divisional rival. He did nothing but compliment the teams play saying we need to go out and support. Honestly I'm not even a boomer fan but he gives hockey and us the most air time (as little as it is) than most people on that station.

People are just being sensitive and if he wasn't a known ranger fan there is literally 0 whining about it.

This is exactly it. A bunch of people taking something out of context from a show they dont listen to.

Amorican

Nov 20, 2004

I listened to it live as well. I'm not sure how he was right saying a fan base sucks and that he refuses to talk about the team because of it.

I also don't find it to be over sensitive. The guy generalized an entire fan base and insulted us. I'm sure all of us do what we can to support the team. I'm sorry if that's not good enough for Mr. Esiason.

And if I'm wrong for not supporting someone who called us all out and insulted us, so be it. Enjoy your mornings listening to his 8 minutes a day talking about the Rangers. I will pass.

Inapt

Oct 23, 2012
I mean Martin did give both Boomer and Carton signed jerseys two years ago during our playoff run..

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I'm almost blown away that we are 15-6 with the best start and most potential in the LIFETIME of many of the posters here (some of which have KIDS), and this is the most active thread. I guess I'll never understand what makes people tick.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
It is if you're a college student making no money...or have a wife and 2 kids and can't afford to drop $200 on one game. Look I've gone to games, but now with the team doing good, high 300 section seats are 50+ so I'm gonna save my money for the important stuff...PLAYOFF GAMES!
Unless the team falls apart and playoffs are out of the picture that is. Then I'll start going to more reg season games since it's the final year at NVMC. But I'm not spending $50 to sit in 335 row T.

you do not have to spend $50 to sit in row T since those are readily available at the box office for $25, usually you can get a better deal on stubhub for the undesirable games

IwayMike

Jul 31, 2007
At the end of the day, does it really matter what a shallow thinker (Boomer) says about just about anything? He might be able to tell that one number is larger than another, but understanding the driving forces which affect those numbers is among his innate abilities.

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
Its all in jest. If his family member did not have a personal relationship with a player on the team there would be no discussion about this team on that show.

Thank him for mentioning the team instead of bashing him.

Generally, the coverage of this team on the radio, tv or paper (other than Newsday or News 12) is non-existent. Its funny when you hear a report on the team during the TV sports report the sports anchor/reporter does not even pronounce the players name correctly (recently I heard Oko-Poso, Lee-Dee, Tovores, Frank Nielsen)

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I'm a fan of the show but Boomer was flat out wrong. He literally jumped the gun. The fans are coming to see this team and support it. Last nights game was sold out. Spend money, draft well, and continue to win its a recipe for success on and off the ice.
Brooklyn here us roar!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad