GDT: Bolts @ Sabres 12:30 PM EST TV:MSG Radio:WGR550 Let's Catch Lightning and Win 3 in a Row

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Shutting down Tampa and holding Vancouver to only 1 goal should be built upon. But also Tampa played a lot of rope-a-dope and didn't attack much.
Yes without the 2 goal lead ... I'm sure we'd have seen more attack from Tampa. Their passing is so far beyond ours it truly looks like different leagues. We're likely a bottom 2 or 3 passing team in this league.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Maybe. The mistake on that was more of what he used to do. When he pulls up and stops by the wall, it drives me nuts so maybe it's just me.
No wall if you're in the middle of the ice 😂😂😂

Is Mitts reading the rumours that he's on the block?

His waffle passes today were not good. Whip that puck and give your teammates a chance.
I don't see why that would make him sad or angry

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Mitts looked like he never got out of bed today. Maybe it's being on the wing.
Forget the playoffs. My wish for the rest of the season is a Mitts trade.

I am not against Tage and Cozens like some around here, but if they are two of your C’s, Mitts absolutely can’t be your third.

This team really needs a vet C.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The first they kept forcing stretch passes into four across the blue line. Tampa was doubling up the dot and killing them.

Came out with good adjustments in the second and controlled play.

Rare triple make up penalty sequence in the third.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, right now I know I am sick of either the veteran core or the coaching staff. Maybe both.

It’s past time to do something about either this season.

i know what I expect first thing come this off-season. A divorce.

I'm sick of the staff. Ellis should have been sacked already. That all three of their top defensemen have taken steps back should put whatever Wilford does under scrutiny - he got canned in Anaheim because they felt he wasn't helping their blueline. And whatever Christie is there to do... who knows?

Another game with zero answer on the PP for now 13 months. What the f*** is Matt Ellis even trying to accomplish? I don't care if he is well-liked by the players or the GM or coach - he's not getting a result from talent that is evident and something needs to seriously change.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s hard to believe Granato still can’t get anyone to go to the middle of the ice for scoring attempts. He has the easiest teaching device in the world. “Where do you get your stats?” Point at Casey’s jersey.

guy can’t figure anything out.

Reactions: Moncton man

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I am not against Tage and Cozens like some around here, but if they are two of your C’s, Mitts absolutely can’t be your third.

Yeah any good vets would be great. We're trying to pull off NHL 24 thinking we can smoke everyone with ELCs.

I see Cozens at least giving effort even if it's not always the smartest play. I see Tage with generally not much effort and also not smart plays. I also tend to think that good coaching can fix most of that in both.

How many seasons can we endure a lack of progress and production from our best players while watching them leave to have massive success? Sorry not you, just me bitching

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This was my favorite game of the year. Allowed 16 shots and lost by 2.

chefs kiss. No notes.

theyve ruined all the fun and win even less anyway.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

Tage and Cozens aren’t centers.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Damn I didn’t even know this game was on already. Looks like I didn’t miss too much

rogking65

May 13, 2016
It’s hard to believe Granato still can’t get anyone to go to the middle of the ice for scoring attempts. He has the easiest teaching device in the world. “Where do you get your stats?” Point at Casey’s jersey.

guy can’t figure anything out.
agree. Either the coaching is bad or we have a bunch of low IQ players. When the play is in the offensive zone everyone is on the boards,,, no one in the center to receive a pass. One sequence in this game they were on the powerplay and puck was jammed on boards. Buffalo had 4 players fighting for puck. If you gain possession there is absolutely nothing you can do with it to create a scoring chance. Never a player waiting between the circles waiting for a pass

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I'm sick of the staff. Ellis should have been sacked already. That all three of their top defensemen have taken steps back should put whatever Wilford does under scrutiny - he got canned in Anaheim because they felt he wasn't helping their blueline. And whatever Christie is there to do... who knows?

Another game with zero answer on the PP for now 13 months. What the f*** is Matt Ellis even trying to accomplish? I don't care if he is well-liked by the players or the GM or coach - he's not getting a result from talent that is evident and something needs to seriously change.

Pretty sure I heard a stat that the Sabres are in the range of 7-9 in the league for 5-on-5 goals this year, and the big change to last year is the drought going on when we are on the PP.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Thought we played about the same in this game as we did against the Sharks and Blackhawks. Difference is that TB is good enough to take advantage.
Yep. My comment was going to be that the Sabres played a real NHL team today not the bottom feeders like SJ and Chicago.

And Tampa won handily hardly even trying to.......

Tage and Cozens aren’t centers.
And Tage is no Gilbert Perrault and I wish he would stop trying to pretend he is.

• Love
Reactions: Tatanka

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Thompson is infuriating. A wishy washy exchange along the boards (which he does a lot seemingly confusing his teammates) leads to a 2on2 where he lets his man walk right to the net up the gut. Didn't end up a GA but just so disengaged.

Can someone please tell the guy that if the team is going to go anywhere then they need more of a complete game from their 1C, especially if he's not scoring goals which he hasn't been. Very pedestrian effort.
I'm reaching the conclusion that Tage is primarily a one-man player. When his lethal shot hits the back of the net or he winds his way through 3 defenders for a highlight reel goal, he's electrifying.

When a simple pass or a strong backcheck or a smart, safe play in the d-zone is required, he can't be counted on to make it consistently.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Pretty hard to argue Mitts is the “3rd center”

He’s playing 1:30 to 2mins more a night 5v5 than Tage or Cozens. He’s also outproducing both them at 5v5 by a decent amount. The funny thing is Tage/Cozens are always getting the better offensive wingers when the team is healthy. They should be easily outproducing him as the “top 2 centers”. Mitts has had a rotating cast of wingers and some stints on wing himself.

What type of vet center do you want?

I agree we could use a vet center or two. Certainly a 4th liner, but it would be ridiculous to trade Mitts for one. We could use a top 6 one as well to pair with Mitts, not trade him for. Slide Tage to wing and Cozens to the 3rd line with a defensive focus.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yeah any good vets would be great. We're trying to pull off NHL 24 thinking we can smoke everyone with ELCs.

I see Cozens at least giving effort even if it's not always the smartest play. I see Tage with generally not much effort and also not smart plays. I also tend to think that good coaching can fix most of that in both.

How many seasons can we endure a lack of progress and production from our best players while watching them leave to have massive success? Sorry not you, just me bitching

I’m getting sick of looking at the Tage Thompson’s and Alex Tuch’s of the world.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Yep. It happens. Not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Tuch also bumblef***ed a goal against too.
It's a shame. They played ok otherwise and probably could have pulled it out if they would have been a little more dangerous in the o zone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad