GDT: Bolts at Canes

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I’m honestly surprised Foegelle hasn’t been called for embellishment more often. Whenever something is close he looks like the younger brother who knows his mom is about to look over.

I've always thought he looks like this because he is constantly trying to go 0-to-60 in a heartbeat every transition. His effort outweighs his ability so when he turns up his motor his movement gets a bit clumsy.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I've always thought he looks like this because he is constantly trying to go 0-to-60 in a heartbeat every transition. His effort outweighs his ability so when he turns up his motor his movement gets a bit clumsy.

IMO, Svech has this issue, too. Although his isn't tied to ability, but the fact that he's still freakin' 18-years-old. He's been called for embellishment a few times, too, when I think he just wipes out a lot.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
IMO, Svech has this issue, too. Although his isn't tied to ability, but the fact that he's still freakin' 18-years-old. He's been called for embellishment a few times, too, when I think he just wipes out a lot.

Agreed on Svech, although it looks like he has been slowing his offensive game down a bit as the season has progressed.

Tangent related to Svech's penalties - I don't think Svechnikov has a problem taking bad penalties. Svechnikov has a problem being an 18 year old Russian with no referee rapport who plays a very aggressive game. For example, I don't think Svechnikov's issue is that 2-3 times a game he makes an undisciplined play which leads to a call. I think Svechnikov makes a 2-3 aggressive plays a shift that over the course of a game eventually get him called on something. A straw that broke the camels back situation.

I'm encouraged that he can refine down the little extra spurts getting him called while still maintaining his aggressive playstyle. The refs will adjust to him with experience as well.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Svech is clunky. He's a bull in a china shop. He does everything 100 percent. He's like a young quarterback who throws every pass 100 mph, or a young pitcher who has nothing but a fastball. He'll learn when to take a little off, when to use a little finesse, and how to stay between the lines.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I have a slightly different take on the 3rd period. Once the Bolts tied it, the game looked much like the first period with both teams playing fast. If Niederreiter scores into the open net at 12:20 then the rest of the game is likely different Even if the referee calls Kucherov when he clearly uses his stick to push Williams on the same play, things are likely different. The Canes didn't really play poorly until TB took the lead.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I have a slightly different take on the 3rd period. Once the Bolts tied it, the game looked much like the first period with both teams playing fast. If Niederreiter scores into the open net at 12:20 then the rest of the game is likely different Even if the referee calls Kucherov when he clearly uses his stick to push Williams on the same play, things are likely different. The Canes didn't really play poorly until TB took the lead.
This is about where I land on the whole thing.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

This is about where I land on the whole thing.

I've been thinking and I have my own theory. I think the Staal injury was a huge emotional kick in the nuts. The team responded well and they looked fired up when Staal was OK to play in the second period.

But when Nino and Aho ran into each other, the whole season flashed in front of their eyes, and they played scared the rest of the night. I was hoping we'd be able to take away Tampa Bay's will to win with them having so little to play for, but in the end, they took away ours, because we didn't want to get hurt.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've been thinking and I have my own theory. I think the Staal injury was a huge emotional kick in the nuts. The team responded well and they looked fired up when Staal was OK to play in the second period.

But when Nino and Aho ran into each other, the whole season flashed in front of their eyes, and they played scared the rest of the night. I was hoping we'd be able to take away Tampa Bay's will to win with them having so little to play for, but in the end, they took away ours, because we didn't want to get hurt.
Interesting take.

giphy.gif

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I believe that momentum swings in most sports. A couple analogies: a football team is having an 80-yard drive to begin the fourth quarter in a close game when the opponents intercept a tipped pass and return it 90-yards; in the 7th inning of a tied game with the bases loaded and two outs a line drive heads for left field and the outfielder makes/misses a diving catch.
In the Bolts game there had been 5 minutes of back-and-forth hockey. The first team to score gets the momentum. Niederreiter had an open net (given his position, maybe he should have changed to a backhand grip, but that is 20/20 hindsight). The Canes don't score and Tampa Bay does shortly thereafter. I think it was all about momentum, not necessarily lost will or fear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad