GDT: Bolts at Canes

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's great that they continue to respond, and haven't gone into a tailspin. But at some point, we've got to figure out *why* we're so consistently putting ourselves in positions from which we need to respond.
You're more than free to think what you want, but given their record for 3 months, I don't think they're putting themselves in that position that often.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Our pk was pathetic tonight, as was the pp. Terrible reffing or not you can't win against a quality team with a -2 differential in special teams scoring that might as well have been -3 with Tampa scoring not long after the major expired.

That said the embellishment call on McLovin was bullshit the way Tampa was flopping every chance they got and getting rewarded for it. Seriously that was Pittsburgh bad. More open ice is always going to favor the more skilled team and Tampa swung the entire momentum of the rest of the game there. Didn't help that any time we would seem to get momentum back we'd end up in the box.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes Fall to Lightning
Bolts score four unanswered goals in the third period

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
"It was not our style. That's frustrating. It's not what you want to see. We lost our tenacity and took a few penalties that killed us a bit," Staal said. "All in all, that third period was not what we wanted to see out of the group. We'll have to learn from it, put it aside and move forward."
Brayden Point's power-play marker at the 16:36 mark of the third, Tampa's second power-play goal of the game, was the back breaker.
"That's the game," Brind'Amour said. "If you turn it into a special teams game, you're probably not going to win those too many times against them. That's basically what happened."
"We needed to keep that game 5-on-5, and it got away from us on that end of it. They're too good," Brind'Amour said. "We weren't good tonight, and they're too good to not be good. Double whammy. We kind of got what we deserved, really, at the end of the day because they were the better team."
Recap: Canes Fall to Lightning

Reactions: Tryamw

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Next two are crucial, must win games. That was bad night, man. We waste some opportunities. Habs win, Pens win, Flyers win. Well, at least CBJ take the L once again. All in against Wild and Habs, effort, heart and grind. If we win next two, we are in on 95 %.

Don't want to blame Aho, he's almost perfect but he has 4 pts in last 7 games. We need him.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I didn't watch this game. I watched the previous one.

Wisened from the obvious repercussions of my choices, I immediately sold myself today for some overtime work on Sat and Sun and will be dutifully present for the next three games.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
After watching the 3rd period again and hearing they still have to evaluate Aho, I’m concerned they might be f***ed.

I blew up my knee a couple years ago on a cheap hit (in a no contact league), went to the room, had a beer, and came back out for the remainder of the game on adrenaline. Then I missed 3 months after not being able to walk for a couple of weeks. Now I’m not a professional athlete so I wasn’t doing any rehab and I was functional in my day to day before my insurance would even approve an MRI (thanks Obama) so the situations aren’t comparable. Just illustrating that you can play a period of hockey on fumes even if you have a grade 2 or 3 ACL/MCL sprain.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
After a night...

TB was dirty. Refs were horrible and gifted TB, the leagues #1 pp, 5 PPs. Who btw went 3/3 the night prior

Most of the team played well minus Aho and McBackup. McBackup was due for a stinker but Ahos play lately is the most concerning thing for this time of season. This is not when he needs to go on a cold streak, be tired, or hurt.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
After watching the 3rd period again and hearing they still have to evaluate Aho, I’m concerned they might be ****ed.

I blew up my knee a couple years ago on a cheap hit (in a no contact league), went to the room, had a beer, and came back out for the remainder of the game on adrenaline. Then I missed 3 months after not being able to walk for a couple of weeks. Now I’m not a professional athlete so I wasn’t doing any rehab and I was functional in my day to day before my insurance would even approve an MRI (thanks Obama) so the situations aren’t comparable. Just illustrating that you can play a period of hockey on fumes even if you have a grade 2 or 3 ACL/MCL sprain.

It didn't look good. That's for sure.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And the 1 prior to last night was only because of the single worst officiating game I've seen in a decade.

Last night was on the pk and our pps failure. The refs calling a game as bad as they would a Pittsburgh game wasn't helping that but it's still on the special teams. That game earlier this year was flat out stolen by the refs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad