Injury Report: Bolland

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Bolland has not played well as the 2nd line center and now seems to be injury prone. Hawks would be smart to call up Pirri as the 2nd line center and keep Kruger as 4th line center. It would not be smart to play Mayers every game due to his age and the many back to back games. No idea how long Bolland will be out. Bolland is definitely not fitting in as the 2nd line center. Shaw would be much better at 2nd line center and Bolland as 3rd line shutdown center.

Glass Bowland has missed over 20% of games in his NHL career.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It is Q so the lines will change constantly but Saad did take some shifts on the 4th line. I could see it shaking out with Stalberg on the first line, Saad on the 3rd and Carcillo on the 4th within a week or two.

I think moving Saad down might be good for him, right now he is going up against the best defence the other teams have and is getting chances but not putting them down. Maybe he takes off if he is up against the 3 and 4 defenseman.

I still have mixed feelings as to where Saad best fits, and the above has some merit.

Q has tried him at center as well. Would he be so bold as to try Saad as 2nd line center against CBJ tonight? I too would like Pirri to get a game or two there, but one gets the feeling that Pirri is not a favourite of Q. The option to return Sharp to center is also there.

Anyway, Q showed hints of returning to his line shuffling ways last game. He may continue that tonight (looking at CBJ as being one of the weaker opps). Maybe he feels the team chemistry is at the stage where he can afford such a luxury going forward. I hope not.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
I dont like Stalberg at LW. Seems to be most effective at RW but that means hes on the third line behind Kane and Hossa.

I have no problem with Saad being moved on different lines. Gives him a chance to play with different guys and play in different situations (pk) just as long as he isnt switching lines every shift.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think we all should know now that Pirri won't get a call up. Even Q said he thinks Pirri isn't ready and he finally has seen Hogs games during the lockout. I don't see it happen without longterm injuries.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I think we all should know now that Pirri won't get a call up. Even Q said he thinks Pirri isn't ready and he finally has seen Hogs games during the lockout. I don't see it happen without longterm injuries.

Gotta agree with you there. If the brass doesn't like him enough to bring him up they should move him in a trade.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't like letting guys like Pirri and Morin rot. I figured they'd see PT with injuries and a shot at making the team next year. I don't understand what the big deal about giving them a few games is.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I'm sure Pirri would have seen more time this year if the season wasn't cut in half.

I wouldn't say he's 'rotting' as he's only 21. It's quite hard to play everyone with the depth the Hawks have, especially in a sprint shortened season.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't like letting guys like Pirri and Morin rot. I figured they'd see PT with injuries and a shot at making the team next year. I don't understand what the big deal about giving them a few games is.

Why would Chicago bring anyone up at this point? Do you have insider info on the seriousness of Bolland's injury? Everyone on the team has been playing well.. they're not going to sit Bickell or Stalberg or Frolik so Morin or Pirri can play a game.

And Pirri and Morin aren't rotting in the AHL. Morin missed alot of time with a concussion and Pirri still needs to work on his defensive game. They're supposed to be down there, working on their games. That's the point of the AHL. I don't doubt that's what Morin's doing, but Pirri's shown very little progression defensviely over the past 2 seasons. Which is especially sad, because you can bet Chicago's developmental staff are telling him that's what he needs to work on.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Why would Chicago bring anyone up at this point? Do you have insider info on the seriousness of Bolland's injury? Everyone on the team has been playing well.. they're not going to sit Bickell or Stalberg or Frolik so Morin or Pirri can play a game.

And Pirri and Morin aren't rotting in the AHL. Morin missed alot of time with a concussion and Pirri still needs to work on his defensive game. They're supposed to be down there, working on their games. That's the point of the AHL. I don't doubt that's what Morin's doing, but Pirri's shown very little progression defensviely over the past 2 seasons. Which is especially sad, because you can bet Chicago's developmental staff are telling him that's what he needs to work on.

I assume you know because you've been watching the RFD games?

In the RFD games I took in before the lockout ended, the entire RFD team looked rather blase. Up here, Leddy, Kruger and Shaw are playing much better, so what's the harm in promoting Pirri, if for only 1 or 2 games while Bolland heals, to see what he can do?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I assume you know because you've been watching the RFD games?

In the RFD games I took in before the lockout ended, the entire RFD team looked rather blase. Up here, Leddy, Kruger and Shaw are playing much better, so what's the harm in promoting Pirri, if for only 1 or 2 games while Bolland heals, to see what he can do?

I know that because 21-year-old players don't rot in the AHL. It'd ridiculous. Morin's playing the best hockey of his Pro career at the moment.

As to the bolded: Because you have Kruger, who was every bit as good as Pirri in the AHL this year, actually on the team right now, who's been playing very well and deserves a chance to move up the line-up.

Brandon Pirri would be on the Hawks if he committed to playing a decent two-way game. He hasn't, so he's not here.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

1. we are at the 23 roster max already. would you send Saad down to bring up Pirri or Morin?

2. They have seen the NHL before and that wasn't impressiv. They haven't added to the roster that we don't already have.

3. Sit Mayers to dress Pirri for 1-2 games? Why not just give the NHL player his ice time? A guy that wins faceoffs, is physical and a perfect fit for the 4th line

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Rat patrol: Dave Bolland missed his second consecutive game with an upper-body injury when the Hawks faced the Oilers on Monday, and the center has not been on the ice since getting hurt against the Sharks on Friday night.

"Hopefully this week we'll get him back out there," Quenneville said.

Kuc

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Take it with a grain of salt, but JJ at hockeybuzz said he heard it was a concussion. He said the same about Crawford too.

Again...don't take it as confirmation considering the source.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
JJ was a solid poster when he was covering the Hawks.

HB when it comes to trade rumors and especially Eklund... LMAO.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I know that because 21-year-old players don't rot in the AHL. It'd ridiculous. Morin's playing the best hockey of his Pro career at the moment.

As to the bolded: Because you have Kruger, who was every bit as good as Pirri in the AHL this year, actually on the team right now, who's been playing very well and deserves a chance to move up the line-up.

Brandon Pirri would be on the Hawks if he committed to playing a decent two-way game. He hasn't, so he's not here.

That wasn't my quote about any player rotting in the AHL. I happen to think the opposite, (that the minors are good for some) but the point is that some players thrive and come into their own when they hit the NHL and Pirri may be one of those. He hasn't been given a real look yet. Sorry if the Kruger supporters feel threatened by the notion that Pirri may take that 2nd center job one day.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I wouldn't call my self a Kruger supporter, certainly not a hater...but I don't see anything in Pirri that suggests he could be our future #2 C. Nothing at all.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I wouldn't call my self a Kruger supporter, certainly not a hater...but I don't see anything in Pirri that suggests he could be our future #2 C. Nothing at all.

I hear you, but no player in RFD seems to do much... gotta wonder why all of the prospects are underachieving.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I hear you, but no player in RFD seems to do much... gotta wonder why all of the prospects are underachieving.

So true. The guys look much better with the Hawks and Q's system than they do in Rockford.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That wasn't my quote about any player rotting in the AHL. I happen to think the opposite, (that the minors are good for some) but the point is that some players thrive and come into their own when they hit the NHL and Pirri may be one of those. He hasn't been given a real look yet. Sorry if the Kruger supporters feel threatened by the notion that Pirri may take that 2nd center job one day.

My bad.

Brandon Pirri also hasn't earned a real look yet. The organization gets that he can put up points; they want him to show he can commit to playing a better two-way game and to this point he's only improved marginally since his rookie Pro season. Like I said, guys like Morin and J.Hayes have put in work to improve their overall games.. guys like Pirri and Beach haven't much since their rookie Pro seasons.

If Pirri played with half the smarts and commitment in his own zone as Kruger, he'd be in the NHL and he'd be in Chicago's top-6.. but he doesn't, so he's not.

I don't have a problem with people thinking Pirri could be the 2nd line centre over Kruger.. but it was annoying as **** last year reading all the whinning about Kruger being the 2nd line centre and all the people that wanted to bring Pirri up despite Pirri being just as small, just as "weak", just as bad on faceoffs with the biggest difference between the two being, not offense, but defensive value - to which Pirri had none and to this point still holds very, very little.

It was the, "Oh, look, Pirri's putting up points in the AHL - he must be better than Kruger!" **** that annoyed me and why I defended Kruger. Then, this year, when both were actually in the AHL at the same time, Pirri outscored Kruger by 2 points in 1 extra game played and scored only 2 more goals. Not exactly a gulf.

There's no evidence to suggest Pirri's actually better offensively than Kruger. He has a much better shot, that of which I've never denied and he has better hands, but when it comes to actually scoring points and contributing offensively, Kruger makes up for the gap in shot and hands with hard work and tenacity to a point where the difference in actual production is minimal. Thus, we circle back to the actual difference between the two - Kruger plays above-average NHL defense, for any player, and Pirri plays well below-average NHL defense, which for a centre, is damning.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I have come around on Kruger, bit Pirri worked just as hard in his límites NHL time as Kruger. Kruger has earned a look in our top six as oppossed to last year, but Pirri has shown far more offensively on NHL ice in far less time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad