Proposal: Boeser to the Isles

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Hey Isles fans....a proposal here from a Nucks fan.

Please bear with me as I am making some assumptions from what I have watched of the Isles so you may say no right off the bat but I 'think' this trade would make sense for the Isles and Canucks , which is always a great outcome - win win.

1. The Canucks are likely moving on from Boeser. He has a high QO (he won't need to be signed long term for that but the reality is we can't afford to keep him, Miller, Boeser and re-up Petey and Demko in a few years, he will be the odd man out).

2. The good about Boeser - pure goal scorer, hard to find players like that. consistent 25 goal guy and has upside still. He's been through some tough injuries (his back in his rookie year) but seems to be out of that major issue. He competes, is a HIGH character person, a good teammate, plays the right way.

3. The bad about Boeser - he's a bit of a clunky skater, needs to be on a fast team with a fast playmaking center who can feed him when he sets up shop in the right spots (thus I have been thinking Barzal is his perfect center). He's not a play driver, so he needs to be with fast play drivers, and the Canucks don't have that playmaker. Peterrson is a heck of a player but not a pure pass first guy and they just don't gel. Bo Horvat is a head down bull, also doesn't mesh. Barzal and Boeser could be magic imho. His QO is also high at 7.5 mil and for his production he's not worth that. That being said, its easy to see him signing for much less for term and seems like a very reasonable person (not a player out there for the last penny).

My assumptions:

1. The Isles need scoring. From what I can see from their roster, your leading scorer had 58 points. That's ugly and Boeser had 44 in 68 games, on pace for 53 in 82 games. He's averaged 0.80 ppg in his career thus far (which is equal to 65 pts per full season) and .42 goals per game = 34 goals per full season. He can score.

2. Under trots, the highest points by a player in a season has been Barzal in 2018/19 with 62 pts - this is screaming we need more offense in my view.

3. Barzal who is speedy, pass first, needs a scoring winger. Brock, who is not overly fast but get can to the right spots, needs a fast playmaking center who can allow him to sneak into spots and wait...a match made in heaven in my view.

So.....my trade

1. Boeser to the Isles for the first this year (assuming they don't win the lottery) plus Autu Raty.

2. Canucks are giving up a proven 25-30 goal scorer .80ppg 24 year old for futures - this is a big risk. But we get cap space and by getting a higher pick, may be able to grab the RD we need for our future.

3. Isles get a young goal scorer who will fit their lineup like a glove and don't give up any roster players. Big win

Thoughts?
We'd definitely need to clear out some salary. I'd counter with Raty and Bailey for Boeser and a 3rd.

Reactions: Nucks4Life

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
You don't want a guy who competes, is high character and plays the right way? And scores 25-30?

Would you prefer someone of low character, cheats defensively and doesn't score 25-30?

Whaaat?
Just to fill you in, if you haven’t figured out yet… there is a lot of inside board joke with a mix of east coast sarcasm going on there.

What @Bones45 is trying to say is that acquiring such a high intangibles kind of player like Boeser would be a grave injustice to the Canucks.

Therefore, the deal could only work if you take back the Isles high IQ, high character high intangible laden player… F. Bailey! Yes, it’s spelled Fosh.

You know the saying… “has all the tools, but no toolbox” To Bones, Bailey is the inverse of the saying. He sees Bailey as no tools in the empty vastness of a great big toolbox.

Bones is wrong of course… but damn if he ain’t entertaining about it! ;)

Reactions: Bones45

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Wahlstrom + for Boeser base?

I get the feeling that Wahlstrom isn't working out well in the current management and coaching staff's eyes. But I still think he's a good prospect, and might as well get some value out of him before it's all shot.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Considering how willing Nucks fans are to sell off Boeser, there must be some serious flaws to his game and/or character. I dunno which one it is, but you do not easily give up on a player like that at his age.

Any player the Islanders bring in must be a Trotz type player. If you don't work hard and give 110% for the team, they will not be looking at bringing him in, no matter how talented he may be. Trotz wants commitment not talent alone. Is Boeser that guy?

And, he is also and RFA that needs at least $7.5 million plus to be qualified. The Isles don't have that kind of space unless the Canucks take on considerable salary back.

Wahlstrom +Bailey + 2nd rounder is about it

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I see OEL had a goal and an assist last night. Garland had 3 assists. And I wanted Hoglander in his draft year.

Bailey plus assets for OEL and Garland or Hoglander would solve a lot of Isles' problems. That's assuming our pro scouts don't think OEL would be a new, bigger problem. :laugh:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think that's too much for the Canucks to give up and doesn't really solve their issues.

1. I like Mayfield and he fills a hole for sure
2. Canucks really can't afford to pay Boeser, Miller and Horvat, then re-up Petey and Demko a few years later. Boeser needs to be moved
3. Garland is actually as good or better than Boeser and cheaper. Brings alot of energy to the team and hasn't had much of a chance on the PP yet put up decent numbers in a year even he felt was not good enough
4. Rathbone is our future 2LD, we can't be giving him up for a player like Beuavillier who doesn't really add much to our group.

Really the Canucks needs are 1) RD 2) 3C 3) bring down their cap to create more financial flexibility, I think the value you're suggesting is fairly close but it doesn't really address the Canuck's issues.
Hmm, how about Pageau and Mayfield and Bellows for Boeser, Jason Dickinson and Travis Dermott?

That should save you (assuming Boeser re-ups for $7 million) about $3 million while filling your RD and 3C needs

Reactions: impaaaaaact

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Just to fill you in, if you haven’t figured out yet… there is a lot of inside board joke with a mix of east coast sarcasm going on there.

What @Bones45 is trying to say is that acquiring such a high intangibles kind of player like Boeser would be a grave injustice to the Canucks.

Therefore, the deal could only work if you take back the Isles high IQ, high character high intangible laden player… F. Bailey! Yes, it’s spelled Fosh.

You know the saying… “has all the tools, but no toolbox” To Bones, Bailey is the inverse of the saying. He sees Bailey as no tools in the empty vastness of a great big toolbox.

Bones is wrong of course… but damn if he ain’t entertaining about it! ;)

Great Hockey IQ, High Character...

Attachments

• Bailey.jpg
    Bailey.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: CupHolders

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Hmm, how about Pageau and Mayfield and Bellows for Boeser, Jason Dickinson and Travis Dermott?

That should save you (assuming Boeser re-ups for $7 million) about $3 million while filling your RD and 3C needs
Issue here is the Canucks want to get younger and less cap. Giving up a young player in Boeser and taking back age is unlikely to work for them I think.

How about Boeser for Dobson 1-1 ;)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lou's gonna go after some dusty, musty and crusty guy like Malkin or something.
I'm definitely not in the anti-Lou camp and appreciate all of the culture improvement etc. he's accomplished, but yeah, I could see him doing something like that.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Most Islander fans wouldn’t trade Dobson for anyone. He’s going to be a top ten defenseman in the league in a few years.
I know, it was sarcasm from my side. I wouldn't trade Dobson for Boeser if he was on the Canucks and Boeser on the Isles! lol...Dobson is a stud

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Boeser doesn’t have the skill set that the Isles need
The isles don't need scoring?

Isles leading scorer had 58 points

Isles had the 7th lowest GF in the league

Boeser has a .37 gpg average in his career, and a .80 ppg average

Based on those stats, he definitely has the skill set the Isles need.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
He scores too many goals . . .

This board has s**t on Laine, Tarasenko, Duclair, and others who score goals but can't possibly play here

Of course lol, but my question wasn't truly out of sarcasm - it was genuine curiosity of an outside fan of the player we are discussing.

The poster knows the player and knows what the Isles need, would like to hear their expanded opinion. Could be that he slows down an already slow team OR has some character issues that won't fly on a Lou/Trotz team.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The isles don't need scoring?

Isles leading scorer had 58 points

Isles had the 7th lowest GF in the league

Boeser has a .37 gpg average in his career, and a .80 ppg average

Based on those stats, he definitely has the skill set the Isles need.
They need a scorer with some speed, Boeser is pretty limited with his skating

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
First plus Wahlstrom seems like the more likely base of a deal we make for a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad