Proposal: Boeser to the Isles

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Hey Isles fans....a proposal here from a Nucks fan.

Please bear with me as I am making some assumptions from what I have watched of the Isles so you may say no right off the bat but I 'think' this trade would make sense for the Isles and Canucks , which is always a great outcome - win win.

1. The Canucks are likely moving on from Boeser. He has a high QO (he won't need to be signed long term for that but the reality is we can't afford to keep him, Miller, Boeser and re-up Petey and Demko in a few years, he will be the odd man out).

2. The good about Boeser - pure goal scorer, hard to find players like that. consistent 25 goal guy and has upside still. He's been through some tough injuries (his back in his rookie year) but seems to be out of that major issue. He competes, is a HIGH character person, a good teammate, plays the right way.

3. The bad about Boeser - he's a bit of a clunky skater, needs to be on a fast team with a fast playmaking center who can feed him when he sets up shop in the right spots (thus I have been thinking Barzal is his perfect center). He's not a play driver, so he needs to be with fast play drivers, and the Canucks don't have that playmaker. Peterrson is a heck of a player but not a pure pass first guy and they just don't gel. Bo Horvat is a head down bull, also doesn't mesh. Barzal and Boeser could be magic imho. His QO is also high at 7.5 mil and for his production he's not worth that. That being said, its easy to see him signing for much less for term and seems like a very reasonable person (not a player out there for the last penny).

My assumptions:

1. The Isles need scoring. From what I can see from their roster, your leading scorer had 58 points. That's ugly and Boeser had 44 in 68 games, on pace for 53 in 82 games. He's averaged 0.80 ppg in his career thus far (which is equal to 65 pts per full season) and .42 goals per game = 34 goals per full season. He can score.

2. Under trots, the highest points by a player in a season has been Barzal in 2018/19 with 62 pts - this is screaming we need more offense in my view.

3. Barzal who is speedy, pass first, needs a scoring winger. Brock, who is not overly fast but get can to the right spots, needs a fast playmaking center who can allow him to sneak into spots and wait...a match made in heaven in my view.

So.....my trade

1. Boeser to the Isles for the first this year (assuming they don't win the lottery) plus Autu Raty.

2. Canucks are giving up a proven 25-30 goal scorer .80ppg 24 year old for futures - this is a big risk. But we get cap space and by getting a higher pick, may be able to grab the RD we need for our future.

3. Isles get a young goal scorer who will fit their lineup like a glove and don't give up any roster players. Big win

Thoughts?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The Isles' 2 biggest needs are: (1) a top 4 LHD; and (2) serious upgrade to their speed and skill on the wings.

That's too much to give up when we're not solving the biggest problem and only partially filling the other hole.

BTW, is OEL still a negative value asset due to his contract, or has he rehabilitated himself this season?

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Please bear with me as I am making some assumptions from what I have watched of the Isles so you may say no right off the bat but I 'think' this trade would make sense for the Isles and Canucks , which is always a great outcome - win win.

1. The Canucks are likely moving on from Boeser. He has a high QO (he won't need to be signed long term for that but the reality is we can't afford to keep him, Miller, Boeser and re-up Petey and Demko in a few years, he will be the odd man out).

2. The good about Boeser - pure goal scorer, hard to find players like that. consistent 25 goal guy and has upside still. He's been through some tough injuries (his back in his rookie year) but seems to be out of that major issue. He competes, is a HIGH character person, a good teammate, plays the right way.

3. The bad about Boeser - he's a bit of a clunky skater, needs to be on a fast team with a fast playmaking center who can feed him when he sets up shop in the right spots (thus I have been thinking Barzal is his perfect center). He's not a play driver, so he needs to be with fast play drivers, and the Canucks don't have that playmaker. Peterrson is a heck of a player but not a pure pass first guy and they just don't gel. Bo Horvat is a head down bull, also doesn't mesh. Barzal and Boeser could be magic imho. His QO is also high at 7.5 mil and for his production he's not worth that. That being said, its easy to see him signing for much less for term and seems like a very reasonable person (not a player out there for the last penny).

My assumptions:

1. The Isles need scoring. From what I can see from their roster, your leading scorer had 58 points. That's ugly and Boeser had 44 in 68 games, on pace for 53 in 82 games. He's averaged 0.80 ppg in his career thus far (which is equal to 65 pts per full season) and .42 goals per game = 34 goals per full season. He can score.

2. Under trots, the highest points by a player in a season has been Barzal in 2018/19 with 62 pts - this is screaming we need more offense in my view.

3. Barzal who is speedy, pass first, needs a scoring winger. Brock, who is not overly fast but get can to the right spots, needs a fast playmaking center who can allow him to sneak into spots and wait...a match made in heaven in my view.

So.....my trade

1. Boeser to the Isles for the first this year (assuming they don't win the lottery) plus Autu Raty.

2. Canucks are giving up a proven 25-30 goal scorer .80ppg 24 year old for futures - this is a big risk. But we get cap space and by getting a higher pick, may be able to grab the RD we need for our future.

3. Isles get a young goal scorer who will fit their lineup like a glove and don't give up any roster players. Big win

Thoughts?

I don't hate the value, would just prefer to see it spent elsewhere. If we're taking Boeser at that cap hit then Vancouver needs to take a roster player to help balance the money a little.

Reactions: Nucks4Life

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
The Isles' 2 biggest needs are: (1) a top 4 LHD; and (2) serious upgrade to their speed and skill on the wings.

That's too much to give up when we're not solving the biggest problem and only partially filling the other hole.

BTW, is OEL still a negative value asset due to his contract, or has he rehabilitated himself this season?
He was solid this year but on the trade market he would be hard to move as his numbers were down.

The reason however was his role. He was not given much PP time as Hughes took up most of the PP1 and 2 and he was playing shutdown / match up.

He is still a terrific defenseman and when Hughes was out did a great job taking over the offensive responsibilities

He’s also got a NMC so he’s not going anywhere unless he waives and $8.25 is a lot to sell given his production isn’t really reflective of his value.

Maybe if the Canucks retained 2 mil they can get alot for him, but he still needs to waive.

Reactions: doublechili

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Isles lack center depth and prospects. So, I wouldn’t want them to part with Raty and a pick on the top half of the draft. Which is a likely place to acquire a center prospect.

For a scoring winger, I would prefer they trade Wahlstrom over Raty. Wouldn’t necessarily have to be Boeser, but I think most here would prefer doing package of Wahlstrom and a 1st for a winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucks4Life and MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
How about Mayfield + Beauvillier + 2nd for Garland + Rathbone + 4th?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He was solid this year but on the trade market he would be hard to move as his numbers were down.

The reason however was his role. He was not given much PP time as Hughes took up most of the PP1 and 2 and he was playing shutdown / match up.

He is still a terrific defenseman and when Hughes was out did a great job taking over the offensive responsibilities

He’s also got a NMC so he’s not going anywhere unless he waives and $8.25 is a lot to sell given his production isn’t really reflective of his value.

Maybe if the Canucks retained 2 mil they can get alot for him, but he still needs to waive.
Thanks. The reason I asked is that the Isles have needed a top 4 LHD going back to last summer, and at the time I proposed on our boards that the Isles take on OEL's salary from AZ if it meant they could also get Garland and send a salary the other way. It would have given the Isles the LHD and top 6 winger that they needed. Obviously you guys made that deal.

If OEL can still play to 4 minutes effectively, I'd still be interested in a package of him and Garland (we'd send some salary - Bailey? - and prospects/picks the other way). But would OEL waive to leave Vancouver? Likely not I assume....

Reactions: Nucks4Life

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

My assumptions:

So.....my trade

Thoughts?
I've been circling HF Nucks trying to get a sense of what y'all think of Boeser because as you stated, it does seem like a good fit on Barzal's wing.

I think the Canucks-NYI could be a good trading partner this summer and this is a good start. Kudos to you for biting the bullet and making a solid proposal here. :thumbu:

Along with others, I think Raty might be a tough ask considering the rest of the Isles prospect pool and how thin they are down the middle. Especially since the Isles have traded away their 1st rounders over the past few years. So while this proposal may be a soft no, at least this is a good starting point.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
I've been circling HF Nucks trying to get a sense of what y'all think of Boeser because as you stated, it does seem like a good fit on Barzal's wing.

I think the Canucks-NYI could be a good trading partner this summer and this is a good start. Kudos to you for biting the bullet and making a solid proposal here. :thumbu:

Along with others, I think Raty might be a tough ask considering the rest of the Isles prospect pool and how thin they are down the middle. Especially since the Isles have traded away their 1st rounders over the past few years. So while this proposal may be a soft no, at least this is a good starting point.
I also think given how high the Isles pick is this year, it would be a tough sell with Raty. Perhaps its a swap so the Isles take a 15th ish pick vs top 10 and Raty...but I do think they are good trading partners.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Thanks. The reason I asked is that the Isles have needed a top 4 LHD going back to last summer, and at the time I proposed on our boards that the Isles take on OEL's salary from AZ if it meant they could also get Garland and send a salary the other way. It would have given the Isles the LHD and top 6 winger that they needed. Obviously you guys made that deal.

If OEL can still play to 4 minutes effectively, I'd still be interested in a package of him and Garland (we'd send some salary - Bailey? - and prospects/picks the other way). But would OEL waive to leave Vancouver? Likely not I assume....

He was very specific about wanting to come to Vancouver but who knows. The Canucks are in this weird zone of rebuild / retool. I think the Isles are further along and with the addition of OEL / Boeser or Garland could really start competing. They have consistently been in the playoffs other than this year but also have had problems scoring and on LD as you mentioned. I think the Canucks would be open to moving OEL as really its him or Meyers who have to go as the combined cap hits are too much for what they bring. One of them is fine but 15 mil is tied up in them and they are both scoring 25-30 pts. OEL has much more upside offensively, its still there as we have seen it when Quinn was out. I can easily see him hitting 45-50 pts on the Isles. Myers doesn't have that upside at all.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I also think given how high the Isles pick is this year, it would be a tough sell with Raty. Perhaps its a swap so the Isles take a 15th ish pick vs top 10 and Raty...but I do think they are good trading partners.
Raty isn't going anywhere. The Isles need center depth and they don't have anymore in the pipeline. The Isles also need to shed salary so I can't see where including Raty in a trade rather than the Canucks taking a player off the Isles NHL is beneficial to us.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
He is what now..?
Ya you're right he's junk. Just like Edler was.. take all the hard minutes from Quinn but he sucks!!!!

Omg he's worth 1.2 mil!!!! sucks sucks sucky!!!!

smh - learn the game

I always hate discussing hockey with people who never played and learn about it from video games. No comprehension of what creates value and how much players impact the game other than points.

On that note, I also tend to block people who estalk me on the internet. Kiss kiss

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ya you're right he's junk. Just like Edler was.. take all the hard minutes from Quinn but he sucks!!!!

Omg he's worth 1.2 mil!!!! sucks sucks sucky!!!!

smh - learn the game

I always hate discussing hockey with people who never played and learn about it from video games. No comprehension of what creates value and how much players impact the game other than points.

On that note, I also tend to block people who estalk me on the internet. Kiss kiss

Sorry. I just HAD to poke you one more time. :laugh:

I'll leave you be now.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
How about Mayfield + Beauvillier + 2nd for Garland + Rathbone + 4th?

I think that's too much for the Canucks to give up and doesn't really solve their issues.

1. I like Mayfield and he fills a hole for sure
2. Canucks really can't afford to pay Boeser, Miller and Horvat, then re-up Petey and Demko a few years later. Boeser needs to be moved
3. Garland is actually as good or better than Boeser and cheaper. Brings alot of energy to the team and hasn't had much of a chance on the PP yet put up decent numbers in a year even he felt was not good enough
4. Rathbone is our future 2LD, we can't be giving him up for a player like Beuavillier who doesn't really add much to our group.

Really the Canucks needs are 1) RD 2) 3C 3) bring down their cap to create more financial flexibility, I think the value you're suggesting is fairly close but it doesn't really address the Canuck's issues.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think that's too much for the Canucks to give up and doesn't really solve their issues.

1. I like Mayfield and he fills a hole for sure
2. Canucks really can't afford to pay Boeser, Miller and Horvat, then re-up Petey and Demko a few years later. Boeser needs to be moved
3. Garland is actually as good or better than Boeser and cheaper. Brings alot of energy to the team and hasn't had much of a chance on the PP yet put up decent numbers in a year even he felt was not good enough
4. Rathbone is our future 2LD, we can't be giving him up for a player like Beuavillier who doesn't really add much to our group.

Really the Canucks needs are 1) RD 2) 3C 3) bring down their cap to create more financial flexibility, I think the value you're suggesting is fairly close but it doesn't really address the Canuck's issues.
Understandable, Boeser just gives me Wahlstrom vibes although he is definitely more of a proven entity. The Islanders need more urgency among their forward group which is why I suggested Garland but I also understand that it makes more sense to move Boeser over him from VANs perspective.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

My assumptions:

So.....my trade

Thoughts?

Soon as I read this:

"He competes, is a HIGH character person, a good teammate, plays the right way."

no thanks.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Soon as I read this:

"He competes, is a HIGH character person, a good teammate, plays the right way."

no thanks.

You don't want a guy who competes, is high character and plays the right way? And scores 25-30?

Would you prefer someone of low character, cheats defensively and doesn't score 25-30?

Whaaat?

Reactions: periferal

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
Understandable, Boeser just gives me Wahlstrom vibes although he is definitely more of a proven entity. The Islanders need more urgency among their forward group which is why I suggested Garland but I also understand that it makes more sense to move Boeser over him from VANs perspective.
What's the issue with Wahlstrom? If its compete, Boeser def competes, just has to improve his skating, and playing with someone like Barzal can sheild him from that issue. He will fit very well with a fast, playmaking center. Likely upping his production. In Vancouver we need him to be a line driver which is isn't, so we need to use that money for other holes.

Nucks4Life

Apr 22, 2022
I don't think Boeser moves the needle enough for us offensively to be giving up big pieces for him

Beau + 2nd for Boeser gets me interested though.

I don't think that would do it for the canucks. Its not a cap dump to speak vs team fit and the fact we have other holes to fill.

Beauvillier has produced at .46 ppg vs Boeser .80 ppg - major differnence and his cap hit isn't tiny for that production (4.15 mil). Personally, I don't see the 2nd being enough to move the needle for the Canucks there.

Its basically handing over a much better player for the 2nd and taking cap back. Pretty sure the Canucks could get a late first and a 2nd for Boeser on a sign and trade, and not have to take cap back.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You don't want a guy who competes, is high character and plays the right way? And scores 25-30?

Would you prefer someone of low character, cheats defensively and doesn't score 25-30?

Whaaat?

LOL.. I can understand your confusion to my post.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
On the initial thought:
I can imagine that if the original poster's reasons for moving Boeser ring true, then a deal for Wahlstrom, a depth prospect, and 2nd would be thinkable for Lou. If something could be worked out in advance with respect to a longer term contract in the neighborhood of 6 million per, MAYBE the 1st + Wahlstrom would be on the table from Lou, granted his staff thinks Boeser is really a long term answer.

They thought Palmieri was, so can't imagine it'd be too far-fetched.

And the price for Pageau was dear, although amazingly followed by his long-term contract.

But no way the 1st + Raty is going someplace to add 1 year and then a potentially difficult RFA signing to add a player to an already crowded and uncertain RW equation.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Soon as I read this:

no thanks.

Whaaat?

I really enjoyed both these posts. :thumbu:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
On the initial thought:
I can imagine that if the original poster's reasons for moving Boeser ring true, then a deal for Wahlstrom, a depth prospect, and 2nd would be thinkable for Lou. If something could be worked out in advance with respect to a longer term contract in the neighborhood of 6 million per, MAYBE the 1st + Wahlstrom would be on the table from Lou, granted his staff thinks Boeser is really a long term answer.

They thought Palmieri was, so can't imagine it'd be too far-fetched.

And the price for Pageau was dear, although amazingly followed by his long-term contract.

But no way the 1st + Raty is going someplace to add 1 year and then a potentially difficult RFA signing to add a player to an already crowded and uncertain RW equation.

Amen to the bolded. Boeser is a very good player and would fit in here, but what traits does he offer that we don't already have on this roster? We need a true game-breaker/difference-maker and Boeser isn't that. Also I really want to add speed to the Isles roster and again that's not Boeser's game.

Would I take him? Of course, but for me the deal would have to me something like Beauvillier, a 2nd, and Dufour and I'm sure the Canucks wouldn't do that.

Also adding 2-3 defenseman is such a need for the Isles that I want them to address that first this offseason, and then if there are assets left to improve scoring work on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad