Bobrovsky signs: 2 years, 11.25 million, (post 854)

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Go back 12 months. Find out the CBJ just signed the Vezina trophy winner for 2 years at market value. Tell me you wouldn't be excited.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's garbage, but Howson would have signed him to 6 to 6.5 million a year so we got off easy. Is Bob worth more than Schneider? Hells to the no and that was signed all the back to the beginning of last season.

It's over and now we can move on. It will eat a my craw even if he leads us to the Cup, but now I don't have to listen to the debate for another year or two.

And the market is different now, and that would affect literally every single goaltender we could ever acquire at all this year save trading for Schneider himself (which we were evidently not in a position to do given Gillis's demands and insanity) - whereupon he'll get similar money when his current contract is up next year.

Seriously, this is getting absurd. I challenge you to name an alternative course of action that wouldn't be equally as g-dawful by this time next year.

The only solution to the current goaltending contract madness is Short Terms, because year-to-year they ask for insanity money and they're getting it from everybody. Based on that - well, the contract is two years and that makes it All Fine Okey-Dokey by me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Our fans make me so mad sometimes. First the anisimov contract, now Bob's.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And the market is different now, and that would affect literally every single goaltender we could ever acquire at all this year save trading for Schneider himself (which we were evidently not in a position to do given Gillis's demands and insanity) - whereupon he'll get similar money when his current contract is up next year.

Seriously, this is getting absurd. I challenge you to name an alternative course of action that wouldn't be equally as g-dawful by this time next year.

The only solution to the current goaltending contract madness is Short Terms, because year-to-year they ask for insanity money and they're getting it from everybody. Based on that - well, the contract is two years and that makes it All Fine Okey-Dokey by me.

Just a huge pessimist... :laugh: I'm quite happy about it and don't see a reason not to be. We have tons of cap and lots of options. Bobrovsky is the 10th highest paid goalie and soon to be 11th when Rask signs. He's right near Fleury, Price and Howard, i think thats fair

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

All you did was parrot what I've been saying for a month now. Having said that, an older vet stop gap with a young future guy seems to be about the best option to keep it under control. You have to split time with the vet and minimize the kids games until you get him locked up for 3+ years in his second deal at a reasonable price. When that next contract is due you better have his replacement ready.

GM's are going to realize here shortly they can't throw this kind of money around to every goal tender out there. We are starting to approach max contract amount for average goal tenders. The floor, if you are any good, is going to start to be 5 million+ on that first RFA contract. Detroit got off lucky with Howard and I hope Bob follows that performance trend that Howard has.

I guess the only saving grace is, at some point, everyone is equally screwed.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Some seem to be suggesting that Mason sucked because he got paid early. Mason sucked here because he sucked here, not because he got paid. Entitlement was an issue, but that apparently started long before he got his extension.

And Mason's extension was only a two-year deal as well, with a cap hit of $2.9 mil.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
bob_is_back_1713.jpg

“I’m very happy to be a Columbus Blue Jacket,†said Bobrovsky. “My wife and I really like Columbus and the fans have been very nice to us and supportive of our team. I'm looking forward to the season and working with my teammates to help us to our goal of winning a Stanley Cup.â€

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I've yet to see anything about a NTC/NMC. So if he sucks it up (unlikely in my opinion) we can just ship him out. Somebody would bite on a recent Vezina winner. So let's just chill and enjoy that we got him back shall we?

General Jacket70

Jul 26, 2002
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
I think it is what it is.

Dude just won the Vezina Trophy: give the man his dough

CBJ give him is dough, but short term so they are not on the hook for years and years if he comes back down to earth. . . .

That's a win-win, IMO.

Personally, its a bit rich for my taste, but I suspect that he and his agent were asking for the moon.

I have a feeling we won't even be talking about how fair his contract is if he consistently performs next season like he did late last season. Even if he just solidifes the goaltending situation by being solid, not spectactular, he'll be worth it.

I much prefer this contract to Wiz's or Umby's. I mean, they're not even expected to play the whole game :sarcasm: . . .and neither of them have NHL hardware to hang their hats on. . .

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Short season or not, the guy's a Vezina winner. I just can't get upset about any overpayment because of the short term. If it were 4 years, I'd be more concerned. We're paying a bit for past performance and a bit for future potential. If Bob bombs, it's not crippling to the franchise.

I think some of you forget who we're talking about here.

This sequence alone, with the season on the line no less, seems worthy of a 5m+ salary, IMO:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Oh and Bobrovsky played 24 games in the KHL this year with a .932Sv% and a 1.94 GAA which was the top SV% and would have been 3rd in GAA over there. So the man has played 62 games of top level hockey this year. Just a little something else for the people who don't want to admit it's fully a good deal

^my post in the trade and signing forums. Just a little extra for those that see the worst in everything. The guy has played a lot of hockey this year and in the shortened season he played a lot in a short time. Pretty impressive for someone really playing with that much of a workload for the 1st time and not really wearing down. Speaks to his work ethic if nothing else

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

CBJ give him is dough, but short term so they are not on the hook for years and years if he comes back down to earth. . . .

That's a win-win, IMO.

Personally, its a bit rich for my taste, but I suspect that he and his agent were asking for the moon.

I have a feeling we won't even be talking about how fair his contract is if he consistently performs next season like he did late last season. Even if he just solidifes the goaltending situation by being solid, not spectactular, he'll be worth it.

I much prefer this contract to Wiz's or Umby's. I mean, they're not even expected to play the whole game :sarcasm: . . .and neither of them have NHL hardware to hang their hats on. . .

this.

I keep hearing the groaning about only 2 months of performance not qualifying him for this kind of contract. I don't think folks remember his 1.94 gaa, .932 sv% from the first half of the season in the KHL. Let's be accurate, he had a full season of top 5 in the world goaltending, culminated by his Vezina win as the best in the NHL. He very well could argue he was the best goalie in the world last year.

That is why he was offered 10 mill per and a leg up in the Olympic goalie tryout for Russia, to go play for SKA in the KHL.

Could he stumble this season? Sure, all goalies do, and I'm sure we'll hear how overpaid he is when/if it happens, but at the end of the day, we're paying fair market value for a premier goalie, I can't be too upset about that.

ps...time to resign the budget friendly, hard working, Vinny Prospal, because we don't have Nathan Horton money to spend at this point.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
this.

I keep hearing the groaning about only 2 months of performance not qualifying him for this kind of contract. I don't think folks remember his 1.94 gaa, .932 sv% from the first half of the season in the KHL. Let's be accurate, he had a full season of top 5 in the world goaltending, culminated by his Vezina win as the best in the NHL. He very well could argue he was the best goalie in the world last year.

I don't give a crap what players do in other leagues.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
alright Don Cherry :)

LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING RIGHT HERE. BACK WHEN I WAS RIDING THE BUSES IN THE AHL, THERE WERE PLENTY OF GUYS WHO COULD MAKE IT IN THE NHL. WE HAD A GUY IN HERSHEY NAMED LARRY ZEIDEL, WHO ONCE GOT A STICK BROKEN OVER THE TOP OF HIS HEAD AND HE JUST LAUGHED. YOU HAD TO BE TOUGH, BECAUSE IF THE NHL OWNERS DIDN'T LIKE YOU THEY'D SEND YOU BACK TO SUDBURY IN AN INSTANT AND CALL UP SOMEONE LIKE KEKE MORTSON. KEKE DIDN'T GET A CHANCE IN THE PROS UNTIL HE WAS 39, AND HE'D STILL SKATE CIRCLES AROUND THESE FANCY COLLEGE BOYS WHO WERE COMING UP. KEKE ONCE HAD TO HAVE HIS WHOLE JAW REPLACED BECAUSE HE GOT INTO A FIGHT WITH A 12-FOOT TALL POLAR BEAR, AND HE HAD MORE TOUGHNESS IN HIS NEW JAW THAN ONE OF THOSE CLEAN-SHAVEN COLLEGE PANSIES HAD IN THEIR WHOLE BODY AND DIPLOMA.
(/end Don Cherry mode)

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Short season or not, the guy's a Vezina winner. I just can't get upset about any overpayment because of the short term. If it were 4 years, I'd be more concerned. We're paying a bit for past performance and a bit for future potential. If Bob bombs, it's not crippling to the franchise.

This sequence alone, with the season on the line no less, seems worthy of a 5m+ salary, IMO:

+10
I was just thinking this (and get out of my head, please):handclap:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
this.

That is why he was offered 10 mill per and a leg up in the Olympic goalie tryout for Russia, to go play for SKA in the KHL.

Could he stumble this season? Sure, all goalies do, and I'm sure we'll hear how overpaid he is when/if it happens, but at the end of the day, we're paying fair market value for a premier goalie, I can't be too upset about that.

ps...time to resign the budget friendly, hard working, Vinny Prospal, because we don't have Nathan Horton money to spend at this point.

This.

The Mason comparisons on this board are wearisome. Some don't get that 3 year veteran doesn't equal rookie and Calder doesn't equal Vezina.

It was an interesting compromise. Bob gets roughly market rate for a premier veteran goalie but only gets it limited term.

At the end of the day, the Jackets had the leverage due to the 3 year RFA situation. Offer sheets are rarely given due to the excessive assets which they cost and the KHL option isn't ideal for a top player to pursue.

While the term of the deal isn't what Bob deserved, at least his compensation rate is appropriate for the value he has produced.

letsgojackets

Feb 2, 2005
LEMME TELL YA SOMETHING RIGHT HERE. BACK WHEN I WAS RIDING THE BUSES IN THE AHL, THERE WERE PLENTY OF GUYS WHO COULD MAKE IT IN THE NHL. WE HAD A GUY IN HERSHEY NAMED LARRY ZEIDEL, WHO ONCE GOT A STICK BROKEN OVER THE TOP OF HIS HEAD AND HE JUST LAUGHED. YOU HAD TO BE TOUGH, BECAUSE IF THE NHL OWNERS DIDN'T LIKE YOU THEY'D SEND YOU BACK TO SUDBURY IN AN INSTANT AND CALL UP SOMEONE LIKE KEKE MORTSON. KEKE DIDN'T GET A CHANCE IN THE PROS UNTIL HE WAS 39, AND HE'D STILL SKATE CIRCLES AROUND THESE FANCY COLLEGE BOYS WHO WERE COMING UP. KEKE ONCE HAD TO HAVE HIS WHOLE JAW REPLACED BECAUSE HE GOT INTO A FIGHT WITH A 12-FOOT TALL POLAR BEAR, AND HE HAD MORE TOUGHNESS IN HIS NEW JAW THAN ONE OF THOSE CLEAN-SHAVEN COLLEGE PANSIES HAD IN THEIR WHOLE BODY AND DIPLOMA.
(/end Don Cherry mode)

Now that is funny

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
(/end Don Cherry mode)

I just love it when you go into Full Cherry Mode!

I couldn't be happier with the way Jarmo handled the Bob and Arty contracts.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And Mason's extension was only a two-year deal as well, with a cap hit of $2.9 mil.

Mason's deal was signed a full year before he entry level deal expired. He already had a full season of sucking under his belt when he was awarded that amount.

Soak that in for a moment. Howson gave Mason a 2 year extension for almost 3 million when he had just put up a season of a 3.01 GAA and a .901 sv %. It was only downhill from there. Mason was virtually untradeable with that deal until this trade deadline because it was expiring.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Hardly a "prove me deal". I wish some company would pay me twice what I'm worth because of two months of performance in order to "prove it" to them that I'm worth what should be the max salary over the course of my career.

I'm hoping this is a "Oh crap we have no options, let us have two years to find your replacement" deal.
No it is exactly a prove it deal. You want GUARANTEE'D money, prove it. 2 years is hardly a stable contract in the eyes of the players. Term was what took them so long to come to an agreement. Give me two more solid years, prove you are for real, and I will give you what you are due. I mean really they could give him the same type of deal (longer of course) like they just gave anisimov load it up the backside a little bit, or make the front heavy and throw in some bonus options in the second half of the contract to make sure he keeps it up. But I don't think that really is going to be an issue, if all any of us have heard about him as a player, is he is driven to work as hard as it takes to win. He hasn't won **** yet in his own eyes. Yes a Vezina is great but every hockey player only wants to win one thing.

That's a win-win, IMO.

SuperGenius

Exactly...
couldn't have said it any better myself.

Oh and Bobrovsky played 24 games in the KHL this year with a .932Sv% and a 1.94 GAA which was the top SV% and would have been 3rd in GAA over there. So the man has played 62 games of top level hockey this year. Just a little something else for the people who don't want to admit it's fully a good deal

^my post in the trade and signing forums. Just a little extra for those that see the worst in everything. The guy has played a lot of hockey this year and in the shortened season he played a lot in a short time. Pretty impressive for someone really playing with that much of a workload for the 1st time and not really wearing down. Speaks to his work ethic if nothing else

this.

Lots of people forget about that. And some people..just don't care. But its kind of a big thing. If he went over there and got lit up and then came here and played like he did, I wouldn't be a bit more worried about a one hit wonder. But when he has been given a chance to START and not share the net he has proven 3 different times he is a capable starter. He clearly won the battle against Mason, won the vezina and is now being paid his dues. I'd would be worried if they had signed him to a 4+ yr deal, but this exactly what needed to happen. Im pretty happy with all of the deals we've seen so far this offseason.

Not only does he have the drive and passion for the game, his techniques and fundamentals are rock solid. And they have only gotten better, and as the defense and offense improve I can only see him growing as goaltender.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
was hoping for 10M/2YRS, but this woks still. He'll get good money while proving that he's no one-hit-wonder.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Very glad to see the deal got done. Even if Bobs comes back down to earth a bit it's only two years. Everyone says he works hard and has a great attitude; when can you ever have too much of that?

I've never been so excited for hockey to start!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad